Miura MB-5005 vs Epon AF-Tour Comparison Photos

Today I gamed the MB-5005 and took along the AF-Tour for comparo shots.

Two really fantastic irons, the 5005 is the forgiving Miura MB while the AF-Tour is the forgiving Epon blade, I liked them both for different reasons, I'll comment on that later but for now lets see how they stack up against each other visually.

XF5A2899-Edit-900x600.jpg

XF5A2844-900x600.jpg

XF5A2915-900x600.jpg

XF5A2898-900x600.jpg

XF5A2920-900x598.jpg

XF5A2905-900x600.jpg

XF5A2907-900x600.jpg

XF5A2913-900x600.jpg

XF5A2910-900x600.jpg

They both look nice.

are you going to compare the 2 in playabiluity as they both look extremely nice. Always love seeing comparisons between the big guns

If the guys want, next week i will write a comparison between the Modart CNC machined irons against the new Epon 316.

My experience with Modart is certainly interesting

Please do Craig.

They both look nice.

are you going to compare the 2 in playabiluity as they both look extremely nice. Always love seeing comparisons between the big guns

If the guys want, next week i will write a comparison between the Modart CNC machined irons against the new Epon 316.

My experience with Modart is certainly interesting

Yes please! I did not splurge on these beauties myself but wish to do so one day.

Ok a little bit about my experience hitting both side by side.

- review done on course not range

The AF-Tour has a softer feel over the entire face except center. The finish has a sticky touch to it when the ball meets the face at impact. Overall I found the AF-Tour more forgiving and softer feeling near all edges. It looked just slightly thicker from all angles but not far off.

While the pictures don't show it the MB-5005 does look better, the top line is more curved, the head seems better proportioned and it has a face shape that looks handmade vs a mass produced.

The 5005 was the more workable iron, It seems the extra thickness and forgiveness of the AF-Tour stunts its workability a little.

Where this iron shines is when hit center. When testing I like to hit irons off a tee it helps me get the true feel of the ball with no turf interaction to muddle up the sensation. The 5005 feels so pure when struck well. The AF-Tour was very nice but not much different than that soft sticky feel I mentioned all over it's face. It's like you get extra points for hitting the Miura center.

As far as trajectory goes with both shafted with the Modus 3 in Stiff the Miura flies lower, The AF-Tour was getting the same height as the Yamaha Tour CB I have which means either the Yamaha Tour CB flies a nice mid or the AF-Tour flies a tad high.

I will say that I feel both irons could use C-Tapers for my swing, the Modus while really bringing out the nice feel of the head wasn't tight enough in dispersion for these blades with a poorly struck shot both the 5005 and AFTour needed to stay straighter while in comparrison the Yammy Tours stay very stable with the same exact shaft & flex.

Thanks for the comparo! I remember the AF-Tours being big for a blade...almost too big for my liking. By the pictures the MB-5005 looks to be about the same size, is this correct?

Any chance you could put a few pics up comparing the 5005 and 302's?

Thanks for the comparo! I remember the AF-Tours being big for a blade...almost too big for my liking. By the pictures the MB-5005 looks to be about the same size, is this correct?

Any chance you could put a few pics up comparing the 5005 and 302's?

They are the same size but not. The miura grinds off extra metal in certain places that the Epon holds onto. When playing the two the 5005 feels smaller, is smaller.

I'm going to comparo the 302 against it's twin the S-Yard GT-S.

2 of my 3 favourite blades/mb's. Would love to try the 5005 with a high end graphite shaft. Thanks for the post Chris.

ur comments about epon ring very true,

i played the aftours and the kyoei v muscle a few yrs back for a week and centre shots felt better wit hthe kyoei.

my idea is epon is So good all over u forget about it , the rest arnt that good unless u middle the hell out of it ,then they shine.

i like the look of the 5005 , its a bit longer blade small thin sole and a lovely looving musclr cavity

it hink hell do well with this 5005, they are are good looking set of heads.

The af tour is so pure.really nice looking club.

Good write up.

Both sets are obviously very good

Have always thought the AF tours to be the best of the Epon blades, yes I liked them better than the Personals

I too really like the look of the 5005.

The problem is , there is just so much great gear around, and it all looks so good.

I think our decisions are getting harder every year.

i had a russle with the mb5003 and the 5005 today , theres is def a differnce in looks and playability to them just by handlingt them u can tell , the 5005 look like an easier 5003. same family for sure, but unmistakingly not as pro as the 5003s

they grew on me. they are still small and thin. make no mistake these aint GI irons!

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question to those who have hit the 5003's.....How much offset is there in the longer (4, 5 and 6 irons) as compared to the normal run of the mill Titleist, TM, Mizuno blade? If I go off the FP numbers published by Miura, it seems that the longer irons have about 4.5mm offset which is quite big?

Thanks

Andre

I think T breaks it down well:

A lot of people confuse Japan manufacturers' use of Face Progression with actual offset. FP is actually used to calculate offset. The higher the FP number the less offset there is. It's a difficult measurement that's not consistent across all irons due to different hosel diameters.