New 2014 RomaRo Type-R Driver vs Ryoma Maxima Special Tune!

XF5A3887-Edit-Edit.jpg

Finally, the new products by RomaRo are beginning to roll out. I just received the new Type-R driver and have had a chance to game it a couple of rounds and get some good range time in with it, and it's a beast. Based on the way it looks I was expecting it to play very closely to the 460HX that performs admirably and much to my surprise the two clubs play very different from each other.

Let's wrap up the info before we move on to my review, The Type-R is 450cc's large available in 9.5 and 10.5 lofts, it comes standard with a square face angle and 59* lie angle. Total weight with the stock shaft is 303 grams and with its 56 gram stock shaft has a D2 balance in stiff at 46 inches. It features SP-700 titanium forged cup face and a 6-4ti body making it a 2 piece structure.

XF5A3942.jpg

One of the new features on this driver is its more shallow face, the older 460HX and the 430cc 435LX had deeper faces. One could expect a higher ball flight with the new Type-R which isn't really the case as RomaRo seems to have maintained the same trajectory as the HX yet by adding real estate on the heel and toe side have made this driver considerably more forgiving.

XF5A3961.jpg

The Type-R series started off with a utility wood that came out mid 2013, it won many fans and at one point made RomaRo the number 1 component company in Japan. While they no longer carry that title they are in the top 3, and I wouldn't doubt the release of their new 2014 models will give them a big boost.

RomaRo has reduced the spin rates compared to the previous models kudos to them as going shallower can sometimes increase spin.

XF5A3896-Edit.jpg

Ok, so It's beautiful to look at but how does it play? I was able to test the Type-R against a variety of other clubs such as the Ryoma Maxima ST, Modart S&D, EGG1, Air KM200, and JDM SLDR. Now keep in mind all clubs had different shafts and specs which means this review carries little weight, but it was fun, and I wish some of you guys were there to help out.

XF5A4276-Edit.jpg

The club that I wanted the Type-R to go up against was my current gamer the Ryoma Maxima ST (very non-conforming) so I decided to compare the two on the range, on the course, and in appearance.

I think a better visual comparison would be the Maxima Type-V because it has that all black finish, this is getting confusing Ryoma, RomaRo, Type R, Type D...

Anyway while it's black like darth vadars helmet the face was kept free of the Ip finish I think that's a smart move on RomaRo's part because when black IP is applied to the face it seems to feel a little firmer at impact in my opinion.

XF5A4181.jpg

I don't have the measurements of the Type-R's face depth but the difference is quite substantial. One would assume the deeper face plays a more stable and penetrating ball flight but not in this case and for some the Maxima is hard to tame and or high launching this could be due to its hosel depth not being very deep or as deep as the D1 which means the shaft tip will play more active in this head.

If you ever find yourself in this situation with the Maxima, I suggest you try a heavier, more tip stiff, longer length shaft. On the other hand, I have seen Tatsuro hit the Maxima in any flex dead straight and long for days, I've had my longest drives with the ST and it's a raging bomber.

Untitled.jpg

The better distance driver was the nonconforming Maxima because for the most part head to head on the same par 4 the Maxima ate the RomaRo's lunch by about 10yds or so. I didn't have a conforming version so again take this all with a grain of salt, not to mention while both are stock stiff flex shafts they still differ in specs, but yes the Maxima ST and I stress "nonconforming" was about 10yds longer on that day.

The more forgiving club was the RomaRo Type-R, which I could hit much straighter, and bad shots really didn't seem as punishing in direction as the Maxima. In fact on this day this driver was the most forgiving for myself and others, whereas with the maxima you need to catch it square squared to reap its benefits. On some days, I can't hit the Maxima at all but the Type-R is so easy to square the face up at impact, I can't imagine how good it would be with a shaft like the TRPX Air.

XF5A4222.jpg

In the image above the RomaRo Type-R is on the left while the Maxima on the right, first big difference is the finish, the Maxima has a metallic effect that looks luxurious while the RomaRo is your basic black metallic. Keep in mind anytime photos are taken of top lines side by side the right always tends to look better and more straight but I think this picture shows the two perfectly. On the right the maxima is a hair closed while on the left the RomaRo is square, it's actually more square than the pic shows but it's handicapped visually by being on the left side.

Feel all day goes the the RomaRo, see where I'm going with this? The Maxima ST may be longer, but this RomaRo feels so good and is so playable it truly is the Type-R Hybrid but driver version. It feels better than both of it's predecessors and the Maxima, and I will be gaming this now... but before it captains the bag it must first make it through the others... Bring on the MA01S and MA01D!

XF5A4321.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I got the TYPE R in yesterday and tried it today. Not the longest stick on the block, but very forgiving and accurate, Maybe the best feeling JDM driver since the EPON TECHNITY.

How's the distance and feel compare to your Geotech Quelot, XV, Gloire, JBeam?

How's the distance and feel compare to your Geotech Quelot, XV, Gloire, JBeam?

I was on a new course yesterday. Hard to assess distance. I will play my home track tomorrow and get a better feel for distance. The feel though is fantastic. A soft solid forged feel similar to the EPON TECHNITY. The ball feels like it sinks into the face and springs off with no effort. My guess was good overall distance. the entire face seemed like a sweet spot. The QUELOT has a crisp feel. The XV has an almost hotmelted solid feel, and has produced the longest hits since I reshafted it with a Honma ARMRQ 49. Ive had the best results with the GLOIRE using a GD MT 5 and a special tooll with custom weights. . Smooth , soild, easy yardage. JBeam, I am using the RAYtis Ravie shaft. There is a sweet spot on the JBEAM that is super explosive. Its somewhere HIGH center, but I cant pinpoint it. Its not the best feeling driver, kind of hollow and metallic, but very powerful when hit on the magic spot.

Edited by driverhead

What shaft was in the RomaRo R?? Stock?

The new Type-R driver is no slouch, This and the Modart MA01S are my gamers in rotation. I did boot the Maxima Special Tune which is longer than both imo but not nearly as straight or good feeling.

Stock shaft on the Type-R in stiff, Modart with a 47" xXx Touale in Stiff!

The Type-R has a nice feel, sound, and is very forgiving, one thing is that it may be half a degree closed which I personally prefer. I have a guy who has the issue of snap hook who hit both my clubs and didn't find the RomaRo any more draw biased than his current gamer the SLDR 430 in neutral position.

What shaft was in the RomaRo R?? Stock?

Yup. The stock plays very similar to the Crazy Royal DECO.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris: what is your opinion between the Type-R , the Ryoma Maxima type V and the TRPX in

Distance, forgiving and feel ?

Hi Juan, welcome to the forum!

Type-R is straighter, easier to hit and feels a bit better, the Maxima is longer with more carry.

I would also suggest Maxima Special Tune if you don't mind High COR because that is longer than normal Maxima also has about 300rpm less spin on average.

Thanks Chris

I got Ryoma Type-V and RomaRo Type-R, couldn't get Ryoma to work at all.

Tried my RomaRo last Sunday for the first time, Chris is right on his money, it's very forgiving and straight, AND very easy to hit, probably the easiest driver I ever tried/owned.

My last gamer is RomaRo 460 HX, it's long with good carry but Type-R just out score her except in carry, however Type-R has better roll!

It's funny but looking back to Chris's first review on Type-R, you are right again Chris, RomaRo did a great job on reducing back spin and producing penetrating flight, I was shock and laughing all the way in my 18 holes.

No, I am using Basileus Alpha 60 in stiff.

The Type-R sounds like my G25 replacement.

Good review and very nice photography, Chris.

You can't go wrong. It's that good. The shape of the head is very traditional IMO, so that will go with your visual impression as if it's a G25. You are going to love it.

With all the good things happening to this driver,

I guess that's why Type-R is one of Chris's gamer!!! Good taste Chris.

The G25 replacement (G30) will be coming out in end of July claiming longer distance with increase in club head speed due to the head design and also increase in forgivenss. Wonder how the JDM driver (Modart, Ryoma and Type R in particular) will compare to the G30 in terms of distance and ease of use?

If you are looking for more carry, yes. My last gamer is 460HX in 10*, so I went for 10.5* on Tpye-R, the trojactory is little lower to 460HX but it rolls a lot and overall distance is longer.

Thanks for the great review! I made my purchase of the Type R because of your review, thanks so much for sharing!!

Not a problem, I really hope Type-R will do you good.

Please share your experience with us here in this forum.

I have been very impressed with the Type - R. It might be the most consistent driver Ive ever hit. I just have the stock setup at 10.5, and its MONEY. The impact feel is among the best Ive ever hit. The best way I can describe the sensation hitting this club....

Its like being on auto pilot. It is so well balanced that it seems to improve your driver swing. Ive had the club and used it for 20 rounds. I havent come close to hitting a bad shot with it.

It moved to num #1 in by bag queue for drivers.