Epon 703's

Has anyone had a bash at these boys ?

Ive seen the pics but as yet very little info out there.

Very tempted just need some reviews

regards

I have not played the 702 or 703 but I do know that Epon themselves prefer the 701 over both of them in performance and design.

That said, I'm sure they will perform if your looking for a forgiving head. This is a 2 piece structure S20 body with a stainless face so the distance will be long, it should be easy to hit, but on the flip side any 2 piece head suffers when it comes to feel and feedback.

Thanks for the reply

What about 503 against 703 ?

503 is much better albeit over priced for what you get its still a good product. Very different than the 703 as it doesn't have the steel face but does have a deep undercut.

remember with any undercut the feel is greatly diminished, one exception is the new titleist VG3.

Can you get the same forgiveness without an undercut? absolutely!

Now I am confused . Com !

Given the choice ( and say the price is the same so cost ain't a factor in this instance ) which performs better ?

And the titleist is better than both. ????

So after the last post which should I choose ?

I've been taken by the Epon disease now for some time but I'm sure with the correct substitute I can be cured !!

I'm listening to what the opinions are

What's the longest

What's the straightest

What is the best of both

Now there's a question

I did ask one of the member who is a authorized dealer for Epon about the 702 vs 703. He Said the 703 vs the 702 or 701, is actually on the big size like the xxio irons or put It another way, a bit shovel like. I see that you are 9 hdcp, you would be happier in the long rum with the 503 or just 703. I am playing the RF551 and it's great.

Thanks for the reply

I'm leaning towards the 703 need all the help I can get these days !!

I've seen pictures of the 503 and the 703 side by side and there's not very much difference

What's the worst that can happen ? Buy the 703 no good buy something else sorted !!

Had a chance to hit the 703's. They are amazing and IMO much better than the 701-702's in

every way including feel.

I play a players CB for the most part and the 703's were not shovel like.

The 703's (for me) were much better than the 503's.

With Epon you should be good.

Its really hard to tell anyone what is the straightest or longest etc.. Its such an individual thing.

I mean if you just want long you would be looking for a multi piece design with super jacked lofts i.e PRGR egg, 703, Honma IS03

straightest is mostly based on swing and specs so I can only assume your looking for forgiving.

Shaft also plays a big part in creating straighter shots.

well after much thinking Ive gone for the ...... 703 . Now what shaft to fit ? Ive got a set of KBS taper lite or modus 3 to choose from or do i just go and try something "new" ?

RODDIO! Just do it! For what it's worth the 503 is the most forgiving iron I've ever hit and looks pretty good over the ball. Although I played 3 series and a bunch of different forged cbs as well as a few blades...for 5 or 6 years...At 5, hcap there's no reason you should need more help than the 5 series...One reason to go 703 is possibly a bit more distance but the 503 is very long. That said, I would really like to try the 703...the other epon 7 series were just to big for my taste....is it smaller?

IMO C is dead on about the feel with an undercut (esp on pure contact) but somehow epon makes it work feel wise a bit w the 503. Thinking of combo-ing my 551s 7,8,9.P w my 503s 5,6...551 is a great head to look at as well. Epon is a bit overpriced perhaps but you get something special for your money. They are amazing quality and every offering is made for a purpose....that said, feel is so subjective and there are a lot of people who just prefer romaro, vg3, etc (including me on occasion). The romaro type v was great, wish I'd never sold my set...no question the type v's were a better value than the 503s but I prefer the 503s by quite a bit, both aesthetically and feel wise....performance is pretty close really.

A little more on Roddio I series shafts, these are great, the best graphite iron shaft I've tried including aero tech, recoil, Attas, mci and crazy (although the set of crazy I had briefly was a bit meaty 4 me). The graphite will give you some distance and is just as consistent as steel. My distance control w them is very good and if you're not a serious ball striker there's no reason (other than feel) that you shouldn't be playing them. I like the feel now, was a bit of an adj at first.

Good luck, let us know what u get. If you don't like the 703, I'll trade for them...

I have to agree with free...

The Roddio's put a new meaning on smooth. If you're considering graphite these rule the roost.

As per the steel shafts you have, the Modus would certainly feel the best where as the C-tapers would

most likely be the better performers.

i had the matrix program in the 502's first but couldnt get my game going. I found the good shots very good but the ones less than flush ..... well best not use the language on an open forum !! Not pleased to say the least. Pulled them , sold them after taking a huge hit in the pocket and fitted the modus 3. It took ages to get them in reg flex but finally tracked them down. They really are the business when hitting the ball well. Unfortunately I work away from home for long periods and it takes time to get the swing into anything that looks and feels like a decent.

Another reason for going into the 703's

The KBS was something I bought and put into a set of Ping Zing 2 I had left over from an previous life and wanted to see if they were as good as I remembered all those years ago. They performed like a dream for a while but there was something quite wrong about having a set of clubs older than our club champion !! So the shafts got pulled and the old ping shafts , rust and all ,went back into them and they are back in the cupboard waiting for the time when my daughter says " dad can you take me golfing "

Im totally up for suggestions as far as shafts go , but Im going to give the KBS the first option in the 703's when they arrive me thinks

I tried the old raddo pentacross in my old fairway woods infact Ive still got them somewhere , the shafts not the woods

oh decisions , decisions !!

where can I find out about them ?? and where can i buy them ???

The Roddio wood shafts are much more difficult to fit but the iron shafts are one of the best if not the best graphite out there. I play the I-6 R flex hard step once on my Epon 551 and I-8 SR on my 51* and 56*. If you are considering graphite, you should keep Roddio in mind.

I own the 503s, great set in my opinion and very forgiving. The feel is different when compared to the 302s but for the forgiveness this is something I am willing to accept. The 503s when compared to the 703s are a bit smaller. In terms of both, you can't go wrong with either set and it all comes down to which you prefer. I would suggest that you hit both before purchasing. My 503s with Recoil Prototypes feel great but I may not be a graphite shaft guy...yet. May switch back to steel when I figure the best shaft combination.

I own the 503s, great set in my opinion and very forgiving. The feel is different when compared to the 302s but for the forgiveness this is something I am willing to accept. The 503s when compared to the 703s are a bit smaller. In terms of both, you can't go wrong with either set and it all comes down to which you prefer. I would suggest that you hit both before purchasing. My 503s with Recoil Prototypes feel great but I may not be a graphite shaft guy...yet. May switch back to steel when I figure the best shaft combination.

It's not till you switch back that you realize you're a graphite player. I switched back twice. On the second time I knew I was done with Steele....

i tried graphite with the matrix program , didnt work for me !!!

It's not till you switch back that you realize you're a graphite player. I switched back twice. On the second time I knew I was done with Steele....

Haha. Are you saying I should keep them? I'm still young so graphite should not be on my list right now. However, I am sure it will make its way back in the bag in another set of heads. 303 copper maybe?

So i now await the arrival of the 703 from far overseas

Upon the safe arrival in bonny Scotland i then have the decision which shaft to use ?

The modus 3 was in the the 502's and the kbs taper lite in the ping zing 2 ( yes you did read it right !!! )

If anyone would like to purchase a set of 502 heads ( 4 iron has never been outside my garage ) with very light usage and always had head covers on shoot me a message

Let the fun begin

• 2 years later...

Anyone else who have hit both 701 and 703? 

I can get ahold of a set of 701's but havent hit them just the 501.. =)