Hutchy's Custom Gold's Putter

Been working with Hutchy on his custom modified Ping G2 Tess putter, it's being done by gold's which is a reassuring feeling as the product always comes out top notch with special consideration and attention to the specific details.

So why mod a ping? well it's a special putter to Hutchy, in his words:

"The ping also holds a special place as it was the putter that won me the B grade championships with a 20 foot double break eagle putt :) It deserves some golds pampering."

So that's what we're doing and documenting the build in High Res.

This putter has a few challenges, first is it has writing on the bumpers that needed to be removed for this putter to look it's best, so gold's had to hand mill and hand grind the letters off the bumpers, this meant the putter would lose a good amount of weight.

It's also a cast putter so some of the finishing options would show differently from the area where the text used to be versus the unground area, so gold's had to grind all the texture off the entire head so it would be uniform and look flawless.

Below (removal of "Ping G2 Tess" writing on bumpers.)

1965649_760679283976597_2534852518556081

More to come...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a '60grams' Ryoma style weight booster going in behind that flange.... can't wait to see how this turn out !!

Hutchy can't wait to see what the master does with your special putter.

Yep me also Ash...Ed....Yeeeeaaaaw

After some guidance from Chris and golds it was decided that we could work on a cast putter, as Chris rightly pointed out it does hold more value in its meaning than it is actually worth.

So special thanks Chris and The master for letting this happen.

Could be deemed as bit crazy spending the big bucks on a cast putter, but I know that the design we nutted out will make this old stick special.

This is the putter that gave me the confidence to go with a flat out blade, I had no hesitation in buying a Z;en after using this old boy and have never considered another style putter since if am honest.

This is my first delve into the world of golds custom, Haven't even got this one and already thinking of the next.....

Love how the updates come trickling in...looking forward for the next :)

Will talk more on the design in the next chapter.

Edited by hutchy

Insert time, originally we had planned for that octogonish rectangular insert but it was too large for such a small face so Master Sasaya suggested the oval insert.

10443121_761140197263839_161474120079949

Loving this Chris, It truly makes this a special journey...!

Cant believe how precise those circular insert cavities are...they are so close the the edge of the putter.

Now looking at the face insert I think it was definitely a good call, the shape is definitely going to marry with the sound cavity in the rear.

Been working with Hutchy on his custom modified Ping G2 Tess putter, it's being done by gold's which is a reassuring feeling as the product always comes out top notch with special consideration and attention to the specific details.

So why mod a ping? well it's a special putter to Hutchy, in his words:

"The ping also holds a special place as it was the putter that won me the B grade championships with a 20 foot double break eagle putt :) It deserves some golds pampering."

So that's what we're doing and documenting the build in High Res.

This putter has a few challenges, first is it has writing on the bumpers that needed to be removed for this putter to look it's best, so gold's had to hand mill and hand grind the letters off the bumpers, this meant the putter would lose a good amount of weight.

It's also a cast putter so some of the finishing options would show differently from the area where the text used to be versus the unground area, so gold's had to grind all the texture off the entire head so it would be uniform and look flawless.

Below (removal of "Ping G2 Tess" writing on bumpers.)

1965649_760679283976597_2534852518556081

More to come...

Notice how we left the Ping black dot, as all writing was removed this would be the only giveaway that it is a ping in a subtle sort of way.

I think the oval flows with the overall shape better.

Insert time, originally we had planned for that octogonish rectangular insert but it was too large for such a small face so Master Sasaya suggested the oval insert.

10443121_761140197263839_161474120079949

mmm could well be my friend...was thinking on some soft black plating on a set of 503s, but the wing in the back low cavity in teflon black.

micro arocholim insert heel side of sole, jet black fill in cavity writing apart from the epon symbol in gold.

small golds G brand back neck gold fill also.

Set of crazy LY iron shafts with carbon woven ferrules and iomic black std x yellow but

This is my dream set of irons and it might be what I build towards if I sell a couple back up bags :)

Look out...could be some gear headed for the BST

Yeeeeaaaaw..!

Hutchy

You always find a way to put up some great gear in the BST. Can't wait to see whats up next.

As a big fan of the Z:en, I'll be curious to hear how you compare this putter when finished. Really enjoying the progress pics of the Golds process, as always.

Thanks chaps, this is all new for me...loving this process

Have no doubt it will be every bit as good as the zen but one of a kind.

Mad keen on more golds, wedges next while I acquire the components for the 503s....If the master gives the nod on the mod for them even better, failing that will have epon send some black ones.

nothn like a one off stick

mmm could well be my friend...was thinking on some soft black plating on a set of 503s, but the wing in the back low cavity in teflon black.

micro arocholim insert heel side of sole, jet black fill in cavity writing apart from the epon symbol in gold.

small golds G brand back neck gold fill also.

Set of crazy LY iron shafts with carbon woven ferrules and iomic black std x yellow but

This is my dream set of irons and it might be what I build towards if I sell a couple back up bags :)

Look out...could be some gear headed for the BST

Yeeeeaaaaw..!

Mate I would gladly give this set my bed and sleep on the floor with the dogs

Edited by hutchy

Mate I would gladly give this set my bed and sleep on the floor with the dogs

Hutchy, those irons sound like something to frame above your mantel, bed or next to you as you sleep at night :) If Gold's can pull that off, that would be one set to rule them all ;)

Edited by hutchy

It's coming along :)

10265419_651377064936418_127285343135181

So on the base here i had some quandary in what should be done, i had this kanji in mind for a while but wasn't sure if I should go with it as so many have kanji on the flat stick.

After deliberation and looking back at my best put ever I almost knew that the put was going in before I hit the ball, no wave of the hand involved or muttering of get in that hole you little white.......just a pure visualization.

I decided that it was probably the most tasteful way of the meaning the force, universal energy or what ever way you interpret it.

Bit more tasteful then having ob1 kenobi on the sole (maybe not as much fun though) but there you have it...

This is my lightsaber, my sword, my personal and individual battle stick, the one and only...!

Cant wait to wield this bad boy.

Edited by hutchy

This thread is a DANGEROUS place for a JDM padawan....that flatstick is going to be amazing!! Looking forward to the next update....

Edited by needmoregolf