Driver

aberdeenlad

Easy one to answer

Need a new driver ........ which one should i buy ????

Im gaming a ( dont hang me out ) sldr 460 with a matrix 6m3 blacktie

Was looking at the callaway legacy black but no one willing to sell me one

Thinking about the sldr 430 ?

My options are open so willing to listen

Everyone will just post what their own favorite drivers are so I suggest posting info about your swing.

Handicap

Driver swing speed

Transition aggressive or smooth

Swing tempo

What your current drivers pros and cons are

What you want from a new one

6 going on 10 !

Swing 85/90

Smooth

Smooth

Bad shot high right

Hit the ball high even with the matrix shaft

Need some help as dont play 2 weeks out of 4 due to work !

Play on scottish park land course so little roll unless we have a hot dry summer

Away to move somewhere very hot and very dry so roll might come back

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh this ones right up my strassa

ok .

firstly i immediatly suggest a ryoma. d1 vspec,

why ?

bec i play these exclsuively on links in australia, and of all the driver s ive played this is the most consistant and gets ooodles of run on the harder grass.

its PERfect. that big power tail adds thump and keeps the ball arrow straight.

no bending it like bechkam, its just thuddddddd. roll, smile.

ur shaft choice is vital.

but IMO, the ryoma wins, hands down

Kamui Works because you can custom build it to your specs..........or buy a used 1 closest to what you want. Very forgiving and at your swing speed maybe you might want the non-conforming for extra distance. I found the conforming head to be very long too :)

I have both of these drivers and I couldn't agree more with these recommendations. The Ryoma is one of the most revered and the Kamui Works is easily the most underrated!

I am sure different driver would have different attributes but Ryoma Maxima, IMO, does everything equally well. I tried the Kamui Works, and had trpx d and s but found the maxima to be more of a all around driver in terms of distance, sound and feel. If you just looking for distance, it could be something else but sound and feel is just as important to me in a driver.

Thanks for the info

Gives me something to read up on while on nightshift !!

Still like the look of that 430 though, anyone got some feedback on them?

I actually have TM sending me a few things including a 430. I'll let you know what I think.

TRPX and jBeam are also good choices to look at if you like something more compact. Major brands such as TM are good, but once you get some of these boutique brand goods, you will notice the quality difference!

I think all of the members have some good recommendations here, a huge selection of JDM drivers are available, all with different attributes.

Kamui works and Ryoma would be my pick of the bunch for for 1st time JDM big sticks

Another couple that might suit are the crazy 435 for all out distance and heaps of run out.

Geotech are also very underrated and are exceptional value.

One thing I would suggest is buying the head component alone, then you can try some of your favourite shafts.

I think the Epon AF153 is often under appreciated and or unmentioned in the driver selection process, yes Epon is known for their Forged Irons but I game with Epon AF153, Ryoma ST and recently added Ramaro 455LX Type R and I must say, while Ryoma is the most forgiving off the bat the Epon AF153 is right there neck and neck in terms of distance and straightness compared to the Ryoma. Ramaro 455LX, XXIO 8 J-Spec drivers that I have gamed with takes a back seat to the Epon then the Ryoma IMO.

I have: the Ryoma D1 Type V, Crazy 435, and the SLDR 430. The Crazy 435 and the SLDR 430 actually play similarly. SLDR 430 is: low spin, low launching, decent feel, decent sound, not very forgiving, but very long. The Crazy 435: low spin, medium launch, so so feel, so so sound, not very forgiving, and very long. The Ryoma (new so haven't played it a lot yet) is: average spin, higher launch, great feel, nice sound, very forgiving, and average length. I love playing them all. On windy days, the Crazy or 430 will be in the bag. If the fairways are firm, then the Crazy or 430 will be in the bag. Otherwise, the Ryoma has a chance of stealing the starting spot. Need a few more sessions with it. I put a Quadra Fire Express Max WBQ in it and I really like this shaft as well.

Interesting you found the Ryoma to be higher launching. I've found it to be one of the lowest launching heads I have. Other than that I pretty much agree.

Interesting you found the Ryoma to be higher launching. I've found it to be one of the lowest launching heads I have. Other than that I pretty much agree.

It may have something to do with my swing, or shaft selection. I am launching the 9.5 degree fairly high. In fact, yesterday I was thinking that I needed to thank Chris for steering me away from the 10.5 degree head. 9.5 is perfect launch angle for me. I used to like mid launch piercing drives, but I am into the higher launching bombs right now.

One shaft I haven't tried is the Fire Express. I wonder what would be comparable to but slightly more active than the Longest Yard 01 but definitely not as active as say the TRPX Air.

If you are getting high bombs with a 9.5* head, you definitely might want to try a stiff tip/lower launching shaft and see if that helps on dispersion and launch?

Wow. its been a couple of weeks and the only thing i recognize in your bag is the Golds factory putter and 3 of your irons !!!!

S-YARD for me..pretty much under rated.

I started with XV and now T.388. I love everything in them, longest compared to all drivers i have tried, nice sound and feel i think the best for me in that category.

I'd like to thanks Chris for fitting me with TRPX Air, it really works in T.388.

We have similar swing speed which is around 90MPH .. Might wofk for you!