So UGLY yet so Good! S-Yard XV Forged Iron

There was a TSG mock up version of this iron presented to Kobayashi-san and SYD prior to production, obviously this was not it, there were no stickers or lines, no chrome it was brushed satin, the inner cavity presented looked clean and un cluttered, then this arrived...

Visually this is a tragedy in my opinion, looks cheap and gaudy, these are stickers! I decided not to bring it in or market it as we have a good idea of what our customers want visually in an iron. With the XV driver and fairway wood, how could this thing be related?

The demo iron sat in storage and the other day while I was getting organized I found it tucked away in a box. so what the hay, I gave it a rip on the range and was saddened, not because it didn't perform but rather how it looks compared to it's performance. It performs very very well. soft, stupid forgiving, long, just ugly :(

Am I being harsh?

post-18-0-11933100-1403648766_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-07627100-1403648781_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-90599900-1403648793_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-63782000-1403648806_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-75027600-1403648825_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-72195100-1403648837_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-39770100-1403648853_thumb.jpg

Way too much going on in the cavity!

Good thing is that you probably can't see it at address.

Not that bad IMO. A bit much going on and a little shiny, but it actually looks kinda quality to me. Hell, if it wasn't so sunny here all the time, I'd even stick 'em in my bag if you gave them to me. Sometimes it's kinda fun to play with long, high-hitting, easy irons.

I don't think it looks that bad. It definitely would have been better in satin and no stickers. But still, it looks okay.

not that bad..... well... almost not that bad. if htey are stickers just peel em off.

i like th head shape tho, nice thicker topline.

they look very easy to hit

Sometimes you need an iron like this. Brushed satin and you can almost get close to the 503s in looks. Does it have an undercut in the cavity? Does it have that little "click" that we are used to in the 503s?

For me, the ease of use and performance out weighs the looks all day long. Kind of like the thicker top line (confidence booster). Great sticks to me...

not that bad..... well... almost not that bad. if htey are stickers just peel em off.

i like th head shape tho, nice thicker topline.

they look very easy to hit

Supo, this is very, very bad IMO. This may be an iron set in the $1200+ range, probably for 5-pw and the best you can do is STICKERS?!?!?! Not feeling that at all. >:(

Edited by shoutout33

If you want to unload the demos for a reasonably insane price I would jump on them.

I don't think they look too bad, besides function over looks wins in my book.

I agree with you, Chris, and with what you've said from the first -- that a line of irons in some kind of simple and elegant stealth black or smoked satin to go with the t.388 and XV woods would have been magic. As a huge fan of that driver and those woods, it would have filled my (S-Yard) bag with S-Yard irons, too.

take off the stickers and place the TSG logo into the circle and then satin or bead blast the finish and it would not look too bad at all....

Not quite as bad looking as many of the popular USDM GI sets, even a little racy, as S-Yard will do. But yes good gracious that top line looks like a stick balloon

Besides a bit busy in the middle, this looks better than the 703 IMO.

Reminds me of when I got my first set of Epon Technity Irons

There was a triangular hard foil sticker that didn't sit well in the cavity. After playing with it I could tell it was going

to peel off. So I did. Underneath etched into the cavity it said Pro Ones (I think, I can't remember now)

Peeled them all off... remember being a bit upset.... looked much better without the sticker. These were labeled

AF-301's the following year, no stickers.

I just removed the sticker, now it's blank in the cavity, will post pics.

This iron is seriously fun to hit.

How about the pic without the sticker? This is growing on me.