Experience with Lighter Shafts and Higher Swing Speeds?

K2_2

So by chance I was able to try a few lightweight shafts the other day and I wanted to see if anyone here with a ~ 48 m/s or 105-110 mph swing speed managed to get along well with ~ 50 gram driver shafts or lighter (80-90 gram) irons. I didn't have any issues with this on a range but I wonder how it would work over the long haul - would you have a problem maintaining your tempo, trajectory control, and finesse for shotmaking?

The back story - a gentlemen next to me at the range had a set of Miuraism SC-01's with Roddio I-8's and a Miura driver with a Tataki 40. He wanted to try my I-10's and I was keen to try the I-8s. Iron to iron my distance looked to be the same (range balls, off mats, no launch monitor) - I felt the I-10's were easier to keep low (obvious I know) but the I-8's were so easy to swing and the SC-01's were beautiful.

Edited by K2_2

Many of the lighter shafts have a much more lively tip section because that's what that type of player seeking lighter shafts desires, stronger kick for extra distance.

More recently brands are producing lighter shafts for faster swing speeds but I usually suggest going up in flex or even two depending on your own swing stats, in your case at 48 m/s the double XX TRPX Air is what I would suggest.

It's a popular shaft on the long drive circuit in Japan and available in a variety of flexes including XX and XXX but it's still only 55 at it's lightest and 60 in the stiffest flex.

Some customers who have purchased the air claim 15-25+ yards increase in distance from the shaft alone, in this scenario it took tipping 3/4" but ideally starting at a stiffer flex would have been the way to go.

Not many options exist as far as light weight X-XX shafts go.

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the quick reply and thoughts... whether the Messenger, X-Line, or Air, it sounds like I will have to try a TRPX shaft. For the driver I am honestly happy with 55-65 gram shafts, the Tataki piqued my curiosity though It looks like it doesn't have an SX option.

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the quick reply and thoughts... whether the Messenger, X-Line, or Air, it sounds like I will have to try a TRPX shaft. For the driver I am honestly happy with 55-65 gram shafts, the Tataki piqued my curiosity though It looks like it doesn't have an SX option.

It's really just that TRPX is has some Crazy DNA in it and both brands seem to give players seeking lighter shafts the stiffer flexes. I would suggest many brands outside of TRPX as well but just don't see 50-60 in stiffer flexes. To me 60g + is not really light weight and is becoming the mid weight.

I tried some of the early light weight shafts in the Kuro series and could not find my timing. Was able to get to square ok but was giving up lots of distance due to improperly timed kick from the shaft. Went up to a tipped X flex to try and achieve stiffness profile, but could not make it work. Maybe the newer generations are better...

I tried some of the early light weight shafts in the Kuro series and could not find my timing. Was able to get to square ok but was giving up lots of distance due to improperly timed kick from the shaft. Went up to a tipped X flex to try and achieve stiffness profile, but could not make it work. Maybe the newer generations are better...

While the Thump caught my attention when it first came out I never heard anyone rave about the Kuro series. I might demo a DGL 90 alongside an I-9 this weekend if time permits. That said I haven't come up with a compelling argument to to go with a 90 gram iron over a 105 or 115 gram model right now.

This was in a driver shaft and it was in the 50g range, while I prefer stuff in the 70s or high 60s.

On the iron side, I think you have a little more leeway on shaft weight. I have played the NS950s for a couple of rounds without any issue and also the SP Blue which starts to push the high 120s...

This was in a driver shaft and it was in the 50g range, while I prefer stuff in the 70s or high 60s.

On the iron side, I think you have a little more leeway on shaft weight. I have played the NS950s for a couple of rounds without any issue and also the SP Blue which starts to push the high 120s...

Ahh - thank you for the clarification on which Kuro.

As far as the NS950s - I played a round with those in some older Tourstage irons down on an open, cold, windy course in Oz. Sure they went higher than an S300 but I managed to get around just fine.