Craig's GDJ Tera Mallet by Gold's

Working with Craig on these putters is always a pleasure, this time it's a Gauge Design Japan Tera model which was a forged carbon putter with very soft feel at impact.

Always when tearing apart putters their secrets come out and in this case it was very surprising, The Tera head was originally 340 grams, but when Master Sasaya removed the face insert he found additional pieces installed which have been drilled to reduce weight, it's a real mess in there and our best guess is that the Tera without these holes would weigh in around 420 grams and that GDJ had the manufacturer remove a whopping 80 grams!

What's inside was not pretty, this putter is obviously not made in Japan. That said it still felt great at impact and rolled the ball really well, especially for the price.

The good news is now Craig doesn't need any external weights whatsoever which will not only save him money but keep the sole and stamping of the putter looking clean and original.

The solution which is something we are still discussing is to use tungsten and glue to bring the weight up to 370g,

Stay tuned for more on this build:

post-18-0-69127100-1405461310_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This putter has come a long way, Master says it feels way better and very soft with it's next Gen PZ.

The ridges where completely hand ground smooth.

post-18-0-08757200-1406783833_thumb.jpg

I love looking at all the photos of Golds putters in progress, be they mine or someone elses. Its what gives us ideas on what we may do.

Though, it is just that bit more special when it is your own putter.

Cant wait to try this.

Got this yesterday, and as usual it looks stunning in the flesh.

What Golds does to putters, both mine and others is sometimes mind boggling.

I too have a big wrap for them and having seen the work of many other refurbishers and so called putter makers, there is no comparison.

Naturally, it is darn expensive, anyone venturing elsewhere needs to think twice. Fortunately, and expensively, I have stuck solely to Golds.

One of our learned colleagues said to me the other day that he might send some of his crappy putters elsewhere, rather than get Sasaya to work on them. Not worth the coin.

I commented that if they were not good enoigh to go to Golds, them maybe they dont deserve a place in his collection.