Next iron... Need recommendations.

chiromikey

The two that were on the top of my list were the Miura Giken MB 5005 and Honma TW717 M's but after seeing pics of the Miuras I think they're too big for my taste and there's zero feedback on the Honmas.

My requirements this go around are a compact size, similar the my Flatbacks or smaller and as close to zero offset as possible. Everything else may be negotiable.

So what should I be looking at?

If you can find them, TS 909...

If you can find them, TS 909...

hmm...I had forgotten about those.

Flatbacks wearing out, or just time to scratch an itch?

I still love the Flatbacks but I want to try something with no offset.

I'm gaming the flatback raw and have tried the Honma TW717 in a demo when they were newly launch. Looks good at address with similiar offset to my flatback but feel a little more dense. It was shaft with NSPro 950 so the ball flight was naturally higher than my Flatback.

Nice irons overall but IMO it doesn't inspire me to change as they're too similiar in many ways (apart from feel, which my raw flatback feels like the ball was sticking to the face a tad sec longer)

hmm...I had forgotten about those.

I still love the Flatbacks but I want to try something with no offset.

Makes sense. I didn't think wear would be an issue since there's no finish.

The ones that intrigue me a bit it the Buchi. I think they can be customized for lesser offset (?). Otherwise, Mizuno Yoro.

Edited by kaaayelll

It's been a while... but good time to chime in as I just got my set of the Honma 717M's two days ago. I got it in the Modus3 130. Solid looking, compact head with minimal offset. It's one pretty club.

It feels very solid off the face and produces good distance. It's not buttery soft, but solid soft... if that makes sense. Compared to the Flatbacks, I can feel more muscle behind the ball at impact and great stability. I like feeling alot of compression and the head cutting through some turf.

Miuraism SB-01. All customed-out. Leading edge grind.

/thread

RMX tour model MB is worth considering, we have a couple sets to let go ata great price, yoro craft mizunos with box toe, thinner topline and sole with less offset is another option.

Miura SB-01 as maniac mentioned are solid as well.

I'm just loving the Yamaha RMX Tour MB's. Dead accurate and long, great immediate feedback on the strike. Leading and trailing head relief. Pattern on the face seems to grab the ball with lots of muscle.

Miuraism SB-01. All customed-out. Leading edge grind.

/thread

Ok, starting to lean in this direction a bit...but the Buchis also have my attention. Can both of these be ordered with zero offset? What about custom finishes?

Ok, starting to lean in this direction a bit...but the Buchis also have my attention. Can both of these be ordered with zero offset? What about custom finishes?

I'm not sure. I know several of the MG irons can be custom done, but IDK about the Miuraisms. But their FP is already 5.5 for the PW to 4.5 for the 3-iron, which is virtually nil offset.

Those Buchi's look awful damn nice. But I've never hit anything as solid as the SB-01/Baby Blades.

Edited by Miuramaniac

For what it is worth I cant split the Miurism SB01 an the Buchi Blades from last year.

Buchi takes forever to get done but the customisation has pretty much no end.

The custom SB 01 have less options and were much quicker to get done.

Both have almost zero offset.

I could not recommend one over the other especially for a quality player like yourself.

Hey, Craig, how does the feel compare at impact? And playability such as forgiveness and workability? And, hell, while we're at it, leading edge diffs?

do these new ones have to be blades?

No...it just seems impossible to find anything but blades if I want compact(ish) with zero offset.

I got my prgr nabla tours out Sunday for the first time, tasty irons for sure but I'm not ready to say best ever yet.

I got my prgr nabla tours out Sunday for the first time, tasty irons for sure but I'm not ready to say best ever yet.

You had them out during our round a few weeks ago, nice feel to them for sure...

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh no its not any more ....

check my sig.

best irons ive EVER used

.period.

Did I miss your review of these? I need to know ALL the details if you're going to say that...

no i didnt do a review on them ,theres no point any more, i just put them quietly in the bag about 18 months ago and nothing else (until now ) has got a look in since. ive got 6 sets of them with differnt shafts

NS Pro DPs---- NS pro modus3 120x... TT monacco S.... NSpro .2g18s..... NS proSTx...... ,NSpro ORA s

basically bec no one pays attention to Prgr . aparently they are just average joe stuff...

as for the lovely new model nabla tours, they have a just a bit more off -set than the IDBLs. i think im going put the SP blue into mine bec they are a slighty bigger rounder look. easier on the eye. more general that specific, the SP blue might bring the flight down just a tad. rediculously nice for hititng off soft fariways

the IDBL have ZERO off set, i mean nothing , there no irons that have less than these that ive hit, and that includes all the blades.

i can not recomend these highyly enough if ur prepared for just a bit more sole width (esp on the PW) not much mind you but ull notice it vs blades for about 1 second.

the best thing about this set is the edge relief makes them unbeleivebaly good for playing on harder shorter grass like in sydney, i was really pleased with how htey went on that grass. bec i know how good they are here on soft stuff.

they are consdierably less than the yamaha tours FYG

Edited by supo67

idbl are better than the nabla tours?

Stew, can you compare them size wise to something, maybe 302's, AF-Tours, or a few blades?