The NEW Epon Pesonal Iron for 2014

604_skyline

Higher FP numbers mean less offset, so this iron has the least offset of the bunch.

Iirc, Epon lists offset numbers instead of face progression so the P2 has more. I hope I'm wrong!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Face progression is the distance from shaft mid-point to leading edge of head. Offset is distance from left edge of hosel to leading edge. They're counter numbers, one increases as the other decreases, assuming normal shaft sizes. FP is more accurate and a better way to measure, even though both are useful.

I don't read Japanese, but it looks like Epon is using offset. More going from 3-iron to PW, which is normal. And they usually call it "FP", even on the Japanese spec pages, so I assume this is offset.

Edited by Miuramaniac

Based on what I am seeing in the column it is either the offset spec or counter to conventional design practices and most people's expectation the FP is decreasing as you move to shorter irons...

Well that answers it, if Epon is using "offset" the P2 got more offset than the others and matches the wedge.

I will say that offset is often a blessing when it comes to club design and while I understand how the better player just can't stand it, I have seen time and time again performance change for the better once a little offset is added. In this case the offset is too much.

From Epon's blog, seems to describe more about the iron, the offset and has a different pic that shows more curves in the muscle back than what was expected (in a good way).

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8J5Xe0XpSIo/U879_xF4OpI/AAAAAAAABjM/tQLmILeS708/s1600/%E3%82%B9%E3%83%A9%E3%82%A4%E3%83%891.JPG

Edited by mpbachman

So far I still prefer the af-tours over both personal models, looks wise anyway.

So far I still prefer the af-tours over both personal models, looks wise anyway.

Agreed wholeheartedly Ian!! Personal 1 is too busy and 2 is too simple! No character at all in the new design. Personally, don't like the direction of Epon Design at moment....pun intended.

Think these are progressive offset 4-PW

'Aggressive' offset

Playing offset irons is refreshing, few do it but it's been a big part of the history of JDM irons, the dreaded gooseneck with rounded transition, and while they may be ugly it's still a blast to hit and on some occasions peoples scores might actually lower. It;s a shape that may never become popular outside of Japan.

I have a set of Yamaha Accurace that seem to have reverse offset and I play well with them........so I bought some MR-23 blades that have hardly any offset at all. I'll never learn.

• 2 weeks later...

Pics of the actual iron, the offset/face progression is more than the Honma IS-03 iron, top line very thin, bounce is low. The head isn't that small just thin with a round profile overall.

post-18-0-88725400-1407340816_thumb.jpg

If you look at the top right image it shows a couple of things, the photographer wanted to minimize the look of the offset but in order to do that they needed A LOT of forward press to do so. If the shaft was parallel to the leading edge or first groove you will see the offset in all it's glory.

Obviously designed for the Japanese golfer with all the rounded edges.

I like the round and clean look. That offset though would kill it for me. I wonder if someone can get some comparison photos next to the 302 or older Personals sometime to compare size and offset, etc.

Looked way better in the satin-like finish the original pics suggested. I'm surprised to say that I'd try the 316s before these...

They look like kitchen spoons.

Not as sharp a toe, but it reminds me a little of one of the Zodia MB...

Shiny and curved is never a good mix for irons. Not liking that at the moment.

What's softer the 316 or the 302? In theory, it should be the 316...

What's softer the 316 or the 302? In theory, it should be the 316...

for me i find the sus 316 firmer just like the yamaha.

others have found the opposite. guess feel is subjective.