6 iron rpm - how to reduce it?

Ian-500

I need help. Yes I know I should go for some lessons but I just can't afford them right now, and they may not work anyway, so.........just had a quick blast on trackman, and my Tourstage MR-23 6i is giving me 7000 - 7500rpm. It has a DGS400. I've been told that you should times the club head number by 1000 and then minus 10%.

So in theory we should all have our 6 irons spinning at around 5400rpm. I tried a bunch of 6i with various graphite and steel, and the rpm was no lower than 6300, but went up to 8400 with an Veylix graphite shaft!!! There's many shafts I haven't tried but do you have any experience with trying to acheive a lower rpm from your clubs and what was the outcome? Any shafts (graphite or steel) that you can recommend to lower spin? My 6i SS was between 87mph and 92mph.

Are you ballooning & losing distance Ian?

When I played regular C-Tapers, they DEFINITELY brought down the flight and it was absolutely less spin and more penetrating (for my game, I need a little height in my irons). The C-Taper Lites feel better (IMO) but they do spin more and are less penetrating in the wind (so far - only 1.5 weeks with them).

Are you ballooning & losing distance Ian?

Possibly both!?! I'm not too experienced with the technical side of golf, but I'd guess the ball must be close to 'ballooning' with the spin I put on it, right?

This is one of the reasons I went to C-Tapers...

3 people can't be far wrong. I'll have to give these a go. Any model in particular or try as many C-Tapers as poss?

3 people can't be far wrong. I'll have to give these a go. Any model in particular or try as many C-Tapers as poss?

The original C-Tapers. The C-Taper Lite actually specs as a lighter KBS Tour with a C-Taper finish so stay away from those if you're trying to reduce spin.

I agree with chiromikey. The C-Taper Lites add spin for me and balloon more. Be aware, the C-Tapers have a VERY unique feel to them. I believe the Adams Idea CMB irons have the C-Tapers as the stock shafts, so might be worth just grabbing a demo off a shelf at a big box store and giving it a swing on a LM to see if the shaft feels right to you?

(http://www.adamsgolf.com/products/irons/cmb.php?utm_campaign=bazaarvoice&utm_medium=SearchVoice&utm_source=RatingsAndReviews&utm_content=Default#)

"Unique feel" is mpbachman's polite way to say if you don't hit them flush they feel like CRAP! ;)

I also dropped down a half flex (from s to r+) in the C-Tapers and am very happy with the results.

A great alternative is KBS Tour-V. I couldn't get along with the C-Tapers because of spin issues. The Tour-V's are light weight and really took the spin off. Is your s400 Tour Issue? It's surprising you hitting that shaft high and spinny. I played that shaft for years. Very stout and low launching.

I played both the C-tapers and V-tours. I like the V-tours better. For me the V-tours brought all the numbers in line for me and felt great at impact. My spin was down slightly with the V-tours compared with the C-tapers.

sbeaz, does the KBS Tour-V feel very similar to the regular KBS Tour? Same flight, just a little more mid-stiff to knock down the spin?

M, yes. I actually think they feel a little better, but I tend to like feedback. They knock off a lot of spin as compared to the regular tour.

Possibly both!?! I'm not too experienced with the technical side of golf, but I'd guess the ball must be close to 'ballooning' with the spin I put on it, right?

+1 on C taper in the right flex if you are ballooning & losing distance but I would base it more on real world outcome Ian. If you are getting around 180y & traj is good then spin can help you go strsight, long carry less roll less trouble :)

Edited by Eca

Ian, are you talking indoor use of trackman off mat? Forget about indoor range and use a outdoor grass range to test for actual result. Can't base everything on indoor mat range. Go out a play a round and see whether your club would balloon.

i had a set of miura 501s with ctapers in stiff flex. i really liked the feel (yes, unique) and they were really low penetrating flight. only problem was getting them to stop on the greens especially on long irons like 4-5 irons into long par 3s. basically not enough spin to hold. i may try them again after the season is done. just can't figure out which stiffness.

Am I the only one thinking the problem might just be the swing???

he had the same issue with different shafts.

Ian, do you remember the other trackman data? launch angle, attack angle, dynami loft and spin loft?

Isn't your swingplan just too steep?

Am I the only one thinking the problem might just be the swing???

he had the same issue with different shafts.

Ian, do you remember the other trackman data? launch angle, attack angle, dynami loft and spin loft?

Isn't your swingplan just too steep?

I kinda agree to Tomcat's idea here as dg s400 is a lower launching shaft.

Also wondering about your SS.

Not sure if you have access to a Mizuno fitting system at your shop.

At your 6 iron SS, the recommendation for shaft flex will come out as like kbs tour x flex soft stepped one etc...

I was at 89 mph last year ( this year down to around 85 :( ... ) and it was considered in between S and X for several

different shafts. Also, Mizuno's fit system takes into account swing tempo and release timing along with other parameters

so you could potentially end up in a whole different territory in terms of shaft flex.

Edited by nobmontana

If you're considering graphite, I would strongly suggest the money you would use on those and get a lesson or 2. You'll be happier long-term IMO. That much spin with DG shafts only really happen if the shaft is too soft for you or you're coming in awfully steep. IDK if anything will be, or even SHOULD be, THAT much lower-spinning than DG.

I kinda agree to Tomcat's idea here as dg s400 is a lower launching shaft.

Also wondering about your SS.

Not sure if you have access to a Mizuno fitting system at your shop.

At your 6 iron SS, the recommendation for shaft flex will come out as like kbs tour x flex soft stepped one etc...

I was at 89 mph last year ( this year down to around 85 :( ... ) and it was considered in between S and X for several

different shafts. Also, Mizuno's fit system takes into account swing tempo and release timing along with other parameters

so you could potentially end up in a whole different territory in terms of shaft flex.

Well he did say he didn't want to do lessons. ;)

I think 1) lessons or 2) go get a full fitting done. It's not always just about swing speed but could be transition or if you're a hitter vs swinger. Shallow vs deep. Etc. Lessons will take longer to implmenet the adjustment/changes. Fitting will tell you what you should get with the swing you have today.

I also dropped down a half flex (from s to r+) in the C-Tapers and am very happy with the results.

Plus another one. I normally play stiff and tried r+ as they do play stiff to flex. I actually found stiff soft stepped once to be better for me, feel to me is fine, not rebar like.