Driver shaft lenghth. short? long? accuracy? distance?

bonez13

How much distance do you really give up by shorting your driver shaft? I have a 983k fuji tour series 443/4, swing speed around 103+. Should you go with 45 or maybe 45.5? Anyone? I don't have a launch monitor out here in Sac. town. :evil:

I went from a 45" driver to a 44" and it was the best equipment move i made last year. hit the ball more solid, could turn it over more naturally, and lost no distance.

Ever since drivers have gone to 45" I have stayed wit 44". I lose no distance but am able to control the driver so much more. I think a good question to ask is, what good is an extra 5-10 yards if it is uncontrollable? Also for me a tend to have more balloon type shots with the additional inch.

How much distance do you really give up by shorting your driver shaft? I have a 983k fuji tour series 443/4, swing speed around 103+. Should you go with 45 or maybe 45.5? Anyone? I don't have a launch monitor out here in Sac. town. :evil:

please remember that the bore depth of the 983 is 3.5" as per 1 1/4" for normal bore depths, this makes the shaft specs change, plus the 983 is designed to reduce spin, ie if you hit it from the top of the face it will reduce spin due to gear effict. depending on your true clubhead speed depends on shaft/lunch angle etc, come and see me in Irelands I use the swing dynamics BFM to fit euro tour players, remamber the shorter the shaft the easier the club is to hit.

regards

robert

as hot as the driver heads are these days- going a half or a full inch shorter won;t kill ya and probably have you hitting more square - center hits- and thus longer drives in the short grass..

please remember that the bore depth of the 983 is 3.5" as per 1 1/4" for normal bore depths, this makes the shaft specs change, plus the 983 is designed to reduce spin, ie if you hit it from the top of the face it will reduce spin due to gear effict. depending on your true clubhead speed depends on shaft/lunch angle etc, come and see me in Irelands I use the swing dynamics BFM to fit euro tour players, remamber the shorter the shaft the easier the club is to hit.

regards

robert

I thought the K increased spin and the E decreased? Also doesn't the reverse gear effect increase spin as well...? I have never really read into it...

with a 983 if you want the shaft to play to its specs just get out builder to only insert it 1.25"

regards

robert

I thought the K increased spin and the E decreased? Also doesn't the reverse gear effect increase spin as well...? I have never really read into it...

with a 983 if you want the shaft to play to its specs just get out builder to only insert it 1.25"

Shaft insertion varies by manufacturer - Aldi8la for exmaple calls for 1.75" on the NV to play to flex.

• 2 weeks later...

dropped my driver from 46 to 44.5 a few days ago and lost nada

Gained 40% more accuracy. :D :D :D 8)

No problems with swing speed, has not dropped but actually increased 4 - 5 mph.

I am overly happy.