Seven Dreamers Golf Shafts - Now Available at TSG!

TourSpecGolfer

The questionnaire is neither complicated nor that unusual. And you can do a certain amount of back and forth through Chris, who is, as always, SUPER helpful.

The thing that IS unusual is the shaft you get. I still search for words to describe what I feel is the difference, what sets it apart from others I've hit, and it's not easy. But it IS different. It seems to adapt better to different conditions -- both in the environment around me and IN ME. On days when I feel stronger, it seems to step up to a more aggressive swing, particularly in the transition. And on days when I feel like going smooth and easy, it seems to gladly step in and do the work FOR ME.

That's about the best I can put it (so far). Oh, and I do love it's stealthy, almost nasty look. I like to watch others try to figure out what they're looking at-- which usually takes about three holes before the questions get asked.

I also asked my club pro to hit a couple of drives with it, and his response was whoa...! He said he could immediately associate the feel with stuff he knows the big boys use.

At any rate, the pleasure and learning curve is ongoing. And I've ordered a second one to put in the JBeam Blackout that I'm in love with at the moment.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I'm starting to look more seriously at 7D.  I was told that a forum member recently received a large order with a significantly different profile than his previous orders.  Whoever that is, can you please let us know how it's working out?  Obviously, that sounds strange given the highly detailed analysis 7D is known for, but maybe there's something I don't understand.  It's left me wanting to try several different shafts.  Thanks in advance. 

55 minutes ago, ukok said:

I read this as well on another JDM forum, would be interesting for the member to comment.

No idea who this is.

If it was a problem he can reach out and get it resolved.  7D has been awesome at taking care of customers.

2 minutes ago, DaleUK said:

In all Honesty , I'm not Sure, I'm that good that I can repeat my swing Constantly ... Even tho' I play single Digit HC.( Driver been my Gremlin)

Even if you delete your swing from the equation,  the shaft is designed around a specific center of gravity depth and position for the intended club head it was designed for.  It is also taken into consideration the final build specs, length and interestingly the grip is a huge deal.  If I submit an order with no grip information the design is put on hold until I get it.

This is also evident in members who email me that they purchased a second hand 7D shaft they don't ever have the same glowing review the guys who made it for their data have.  Now guys who have 7D shafts that are made for their swings but changed heads have some success but still not to the level of those who do it the proper way.

Let's keep in mind that 7D also allows a complete redesign/remake of the shaft within 3 months of purchase when you return the original club AND TSG covers shipping on it.  This is big, also we were able to get 7D to waive the international return fee so it's now 0 instead of $200. I pushed this due to Craigs comments a while back on the issue and they agreed.

I bought my 7D second hand and it's been the best shaft I've ever owned, and I even paired it with a head that it was not designed for. I think if you have similar specs to someone, you certainly can have the 7D added benefits, and at the very least, it'll be better than most other premium shafts. I've got a 2015 AAA currently, been through Dia X and Stingers, all Crazy offerings, rogue's,  Attas and a few Graphite Designs and none of them give me the numbers and flat out results like my second hand 7D. I'm driving the ball further than ever and the feel is sublime as I've now grooved my swing with this essentially super high end shaft.

People should not be afraid to try if given an opportunity to get one at a good deal, but obviously do some research and comparison to the person who it was originally designed for. Sure, it could get even better if your budget will allow, but scaring people away from trying second hand is not necessary, it could work out great just like it did for me.

Edited by needmoregolf

6 minutes ago, needmoregolf said:

I bought my 7D second hand and it's been the best shaft I've ever owned, and I even paired it with a head that it was not designed for. I think if you have similar specs to someone, you certainly can have the 7D added benefits, and at the very least, it'll be better than most other premium shafts. I've got a AAA currently, been through Dia X's, all Crazy offerings, rogue's,  Attas and a few Graphite Designs and none of them give me the numbers and flat out results like my second hand 7D. I'm driving the ball further than ever and the feel is sublime as I've now grooved my swing with this essentially super high end shaft.

People should not be afraid to try if given an opportunity to get one at a good deal, but obviously do some research and comparison to the person who it was originally designed for. Sure, it could get even better if your budget will allow, but scaring people away from trying second hand is not necessary, it could work out great just like it did for me.

it depends in this case I certainly would like to conduct an interview of the person I am buying the shaft from. If we are similar in swing style and golfing ability then maybe. I'm not familiar with 7D spec sheet order so don't know if mystatic strength stats or lag or a multitude of factors play a key role in shaft. 

I'd certainly be more comfy buying my twins 2nd hand shaft than say one made to jack HaMM BBOOOMMMMM specs. Get what I'm saying? If they made a shaft for oompaloompa with 70mph driver swing speed even if it was sold for a bargain I would be wary to buy it bec of my personal specs. 

I'm not a believer in 7d second hand shafts. That's fudged up. 

totally disagree, as buying a second 7D at a great price is the same guess as buying any high end shaft without a full fitting, and we do that all day across forums, eBay and online retailers, so why not???

the guy I bought it from is a much better player than me, and probably the only similar swing characteristic is speed, so go figure, eh? forum members here and even Chris himself (remember the club pro's swung the shaft built for him and still had great results and glowing reviews) said that the beauty of 7D is that is seems to "adapt" to your swing, and I'd agree that it seems to do just that. sure, if I did a custom fitting in Japan, I would expect even better results but I'm super happy with the best results I've ever had driving the ball at a fraction of the cost. don't be afraid people, it just works!

Edited by needmoregolf

2 minutes ago, needmoregolf said:

totally disagree, as buying a second 7D at a great price is the same guess as buying any high end shaft without a full fitting, and we do that all day across forums, eBay and online retailers, so why not???

the guy I bought it from is a much better player than me, and probably the only similar swing characteristic is speed, so go figure, eh? so much has been said by TSG reviews from club pro's to even forum members here that the beauty of 7D is that is seems to "adapt" to your swing, and I'd agree that it seems to do just that. sure, if I did a custom fitting in Japan, I would expect even better results but I'm super happy with the best results I've ever had driving the ball at a fraction of the cost. don't be afraid people, it just works!

Good point but I'm sure you had parameters when buying your 2nd hand 7d. You wouldn't buy a 55a flex or a 70xx. Somewhere in 60s should be ok so I'm sure if the opportunity arose to buy a 45r2 for 70% off youd bite?

that's why I said do some comparison of specs, duh ;)

youd compare specs of anything you'd buy second hand, that's just common sense, so there's really no difference except 7D will likely "adapt" better to your swing, IMO

2 minutes ago, needmoregolf said:

that's why I said do some comparison of specs, duh ;)

youd compare specs of anything you'd buy second hand, that's just common sense, so there's really no difference except 7D will likely "adapt" better to your swing, IMO

Hmm I play a 60s so I'm guessing id go 60s or whatever 7d equivalent is.  Is consider a 70gram in yeti flex if the price were right.  Hell if I can pay 400$ for a stinger it should be a worthy experiment.  You planning on getting rid of yours? Mine if ever. 

23 minutes ago, needmoregolf said:

the guy I bought it from is a much better player than me, and probably the only similar swing characteristic is speed, so go figure, eh? forum members here and even Chris himself (remember the club pro's swung the shaft built for him and still had great results and glowing reviews) said that the beauty of 7D is that is seems to "adapt" to your swing, and I'd agree that it seems to do just that. sure, if I did a custom fitting in Japan, I would expect even better results but I'm super happy with the best results I've ever had driving the ball at a fraction of the cost. don't be afraid people, it just works!

That is true!  My +1 hcp swing coach who swings nearly 120mph could not hook my SR flex 7D shaft and pounded this thing a lot further than his own shaft.

I guess buying 2nd hand is as hit and miss as buying anything else when put that way.  

BUT what I can say is as someone who handles the remake/redesigns and gets to hear about feedback for every shaft that TSG sells there is more than a few stories of a head change that didn't work out and a few guys who bought second hand that could not get it airborne at all.

Big things coming from 7D shortly!

14 minutes ago, Spoon said:

Good point but I'm sure you had parameters when buying your 2nd hand 7d. You wouldn't buy a 55a flex or a 70xx. Somewhere in 60s should be ok so I'm sure if the opportunity arose to buy a 45r2 for 70% off youd bite?

That's the crazy thing, I heard the guy originally got a high 60s SX type profile and subsequently a 55ish SR type profile, both ordered new.  Sounded so strange to me - like counter to the whole concept - but, again, I've not gone through the process.  It did make me feel that maybe it's more about the materials and build than profile. What do I know?

9 minutes ago, kaaayelll said:

That's the crazy thing, I heard the guy originally got a high 60s SX type profile and subsequently a 55ish SR type profile, both ordered new.  Sounded so strange to me - like counter to the whole concept - but, again, I've not gone through the process.  It did make me feel that maybe it's more about the materials and build than profile. What do I know?

Well if I'm going to do it once it's in Japan. If it doesn't work out no one to blame but myself. 

I have been silent for a while and I am not going to jump in the more dramatic pieces of this thread (or those on other sites) - just don't have the mental time or energy for it (heck, the Warriors are going to a Game 7 and that is taking all my mental energy right now ;)

Since it has been asked, I am the member where 7D sent me an L01 with specs I was somewhat shocked by.  To their (and Chris's) credit, they always offer to remake for free within that early time period.  Since I hit the shaft and learned more about what I wanted (and not wanted), I made another L01 that is more 60SX and is working spectacular (I mean, really really well).

I have not thought hard on how the 55SR came about and not going to (these things happen, maybe it was a design mistake, maybe when I said I want a baby draw, they used the flex and weight to do that in the design phase, etc).  This is hard over a questionnaire and email, but no different than blindly buying any other shaft instead of going and getting fit in front of trackman (but 7D, at least with their design process, is probably better than blindly buying).

I have owned a Standard, Distance, Control, re-made a Standard, 3W, re-made a 3W, hybrid, L01, L01 that I didn't like and a putter 7D shafts.  They are firmly in my driver, woods, hybrid (and putter) now.  With 7D, yes, maybe they will mess up here or there, or maybe the design won't be what works, but they have fixed that multiple times for me.

My advice, pay attention during the design phase.  Stay true to the questionnaire (i.e. do you really carry it 260 or is it 240 + roll), do you really have a baby fade or is it more of a 15-yard fade ;), etc.  Pay attention to the design that comes back, look at the stiffness, weight, profile, ask questions, etc.

----

Now onto the second-hand 7Ds.  needmoregolf hits my Control shaft longer than I ever did and longer than what I currently game.  Maybe its the shaft, maybe the swing, maybe the *improved* swing, or all the above (I say all the above - he killed me last time we went out ;)  If you know your specs, you somewhat know the bend profile that works for you (and that head) and how that connects to the flight you see and want, I don't think getting a 7D second-hand at all is that bad, but like everything, its hit or miss.  I know my other Standard which I sold has been passed around a bunch, so maybe that hasn't connected to someone yet, but to each their own.  That exploration, tinkering is what makes all this fun!

2 hours ago, mpbachman said:

I have been silent for a while and I am not going to jump in the more dramatic pieces of this thread (or those on other sites) - just don't have the mental time or energy for it (heck, the Warriors are going to a Game 7 and that is taking all my mental energy right now ;)

Since it has been asked, I am the member where 7D sent me an L01 with specs I was somewhat shocked by.  To their (and Chris's) credit, they always offer to remake for free within that early time period.  Since I hit the shaft and learned more about what I wanted (and not wanted), I made another L01 that is more 60SX and is working spectacular (I mean, really really well).

I have not thought hard on how the 55SR came about and not going to (these things happen, maybe it was a design mistake, maybe when I said I want a baby draw, they used the flex and weight to do that in the design phase, etc).  This is hard over a questionnaire and email, but no different than blindly buying any other shaft instead of going and getting fit in front of trackman (but 7D, at least with their design process, is probably better than blindly buying).

I have owned a Standard, Distance, Control, re-made a Standard, 3W, re-made a 3W, hybrid, L01, L01 that I didn't like and a putter 7D shafts.  They are firmly in my driver, woods, hybrid (and putter) now.  With 7D, yes, maybe they will mess up here or there, or maybe the design won't be what works, but they have fixed that multiple times for me.

My advice, pay attention during the design phase.  Stay true to the questionnaire (i.e. do you really carry it 260 or is it 240 + roll), do you really have a baby fade or is it more of a 15-yard fade ;), etc.  Pay attention to the design that comes back, look at the stiffness, weight, profile, ask questions, etc.

----

Now onto the second-hand 7Ds.  needmoregolf hits my Control shaft longer than I ever did and longer than what I currently game.  Maybe its the shaft, maybe the swing, maybe the *improved* swing, or all the above (I say all the above - he killed me last time we went out ;)  If you know your specs, you somewhat know the bend profile that works for you (and that head) and how that connects to the flight you see and want, I don't think getting a 7D second-hand at all is that bad, but like everything, its hit or miss.  I know my other Standard which I sold has been passed around a bunch, so maybe that hasn't connected to someone yet, but to each their own.  That exploration, tinkering is what makes all this fun!

Thanks MPB

L01 over the long term was a dud for me so I went back to the Matrix.  It seems the exterior material and finishing affected the dispersion and feel of the shaft where as the Matrix is tighter and more stable.

Right now I'm playing a Control/Distance Ginza Prototype Matrix in the ZY7 and it's very similar to the standard Matrix.

If you want a redesign/remake on the 55SR L01 let me know,  "I think" I can finagle that.

OK. I am the one now with Michael's standard 7D. I was pleasantly surprised on paper how close the spec were to what I think would work for me. I have still not found a head to mate it with so I have not had a chance to try it in practice. It was built for a Modart driver head and I am thinking of getting the +r to give it the best chance. I hope it works.

I had a guy I sold some clubs to on golfwrx send me a message to 'warn' me about tsg and this whole thing. I guess the other JDM site is blowing up about it. I stopped going there a while ago. I much prefer the tone here.

So it can't be good for the biz but I am unconcerned as a consumer about Chris, tsg or 7d. One of these days I am going to stop in Tokyo and get measured for a shaft. 

Im so happy those guys are gone.  Life is too short to deal with people we dont want to and  I hope they feel the same about me.

There are so many more important things in life to focus on rather than being vengeful and malicious.

Anyway back to a clean thread :)

1 hour ago, chuck4golf said:

I had a guy I sold some clubs to on golfwrx send me a message to 'warn' me about tsg and this whole thing. I guess the other JDM site is blowing up about it. I stopped going there a while ago. I much prefer the tone here.

So it can't be good for the biz but I am unconcerned as a consumer about Chris, tsg or 7d. One of these days I am going to stop in Tokyo and get measured for a shaft. 

Just wanted to clarify...can we get measured in their Tokyo office if we purchase the matrix shaft or is that done only through the questionnaire ?

My understanding is that if you go to their shop they gather comprehensive real time swing/ball flight data and build from actual performance data - but is more expensive than just completing the form. 

From my understanding, if you go to SD for a fitting, yes they take comprehensive swing data and than the shaft for you is designed for you and built from scratch.

it is not off the shelf. So if you want another identical one, you have to wait for them to make it.

if you are unhappy with it, they will remake it

i have one of these, haute couture or something they call it.

If you go in person or answer the fitting form both shafts are the same. A Haute Couture is a Matrix plus the fitting.

There is a 60,000 yen premium for that 1 hour fitting. 

If you plan to go in person its best to have TSG arrange it as prior to your arrival we provide 7D with your final build specs and any special requests. We also handle any changes post fitting, tracking, and head/spec recommendations based on the feedback of other customers.