Different grips for different clubs ?

mpuk

First of all, thanks for all your replies on the softest / tackiest grips. As a result, I'm going to give Nowon a go.

This got me thinking though, are different clubs better suited by different grips ?

Wedges for example would benefit from a softer grip to enhance feel while would your driver grip be something cord like for extra traction ?

if u have softer grips in winter it makes the club fele a bit better. rathe than use cord ill so golf pride ,even just the tour black no probs at al. and especialy if u use certian shafts.

ctapers , got soft, Ns u can use. nothing !

driver shafts i pretty much jsut use the stiffest, perfect pro cord i can get,

Nice choice on the grips man.

Wouldn't softer more padded grips dissipate feedback???

I thought it was the other way round and firmer grips gave more feedback to the hands, hence athlete (PRO) grips being firmer and stiffer.

Also the size of the grip (WIDTH) can control over rotation or under to a certain extent.

And like Stu points out, generally the lower the torque on the grip the firmer it will be....

Hutchy's comment makes perfect sense; the firmer the grip, the more more feedback but for some reason, I can't imagine using a cord based grip with a wedges while I can defo see myself trying a cord grip out with the driver.

So I guess the new question is; what is the lowest torque grip to use with the driver ?

You should look at the elite series grips dude....probably got all your looking for....Irons....Woods...Wedges, the putter grips are also top notch.

Swing weights are easily altered on the elite without using more tape or weighing heaps of grips, they have a plug in but cap with inch long insert that can have weight added.

Defo worth a look

Edited by hutchy

I like a firmer grip with maybe some cord on it with irons and wedges where I'm hitting with a steeper AoA and hitting the ground pretty hard. With driver, where I don't need as secure of a grip, I like a little softer grip for feel.

Unlike the shaft or club head, where the design, material and construction have far ranging impact, I think grip is a very personal thing. Like underwear, some like boxers, some like briefs, and some don't wear any! And maybe it's me but soft/firm has nothing to do with thin/thick or rough/smooth. I find that soft and tacky, thinnish (just 1 layer of tape), feels best in my hands and you'll know it's the right grip when you feel confident without needing to grip it harder or fidget for comfort.

For me, the Iomic Sticky 1.8 is the best 'rubber' made (I've probably tried them all) and I use it on all my clubs except the putter (Winns for me). I had the Gripmaster Kangaroo previously, softer than the Iomics but not so practical for wet and humid weather.

You should look at the elite series grips dude....probably got all your looking for....Irons....Woods...Wedges, the putter grips are also top notch.

Swing weights are easily altered on the elite without using more tape or weighing heaps of grips, they have a plug in but cap with inch long insert that can have weight added.

Defo worth a look

http://www.etilegrips.com/concept/weightcontrolsystem.html

Are these the ones hutchy? I will have to check these out.

Yep thats those Ian, have a set on my MCI 503s, haven't set them up for flight path though...just got the swing weights spot on.

Have a heaps left so was gonna try flight path alteration on the woods..when I get the time.

Interesting suff

Edited by hutchy

Okay dokie, I'm trailing the Perfect Pro CC Cord in the driver and Iomic Sticky Square Light in 54* and 58* wedges (help with heavy Swing Weight).

I will let you know how I get on but if my soft office worker hands can live with the Perfect Pro cord then I'm going all out with them as I've never seen a cooler grip. I really like how the cord colour matches the cap;

post-16880-0-40207600-1410118594_thumb.j

post-16880-0-89496000-1410119415_thumb.j

Edited by mpuk

• 1 year later...

Okay dokie, I'm trailing the Perfect Pro CC Cord in the driver and Iomic Sticky Square Light in 54* and 58* wedges (help with heavy Swing Weight).

I will let you know how I get on but if my soft office worker hands can live with the Perfect Pro cord then I'm going all out with them as I've never seen a cooler grip. I really like how the cord colour matches the cap;

what are your thoughts on these grips? Also are they with/without reminder?