Jbeam 425 vs 535 head-to-head review

daamartin

Long time TSGer, love this site and have learned so much about JDM gear here over many years.

Jbeam drivers resonate with me. Used to have a 425 tour with Roddio M7x - traded it and quickly realised that was a bit silly! So I am back into Jbeam in a big way now, and have 2 very similar builds that I am stoked with and so thought a quick review might be worthwhile for those thinking of going Jbeam.

About me? 44 yo this month, 5ft11, 4 index and play competitively most Saturday mornings. Swing driver @ ~ 105 MPH with a fairly late hit, but tempo is medium. Ballflight with driver has come down a bit in recent years (better technique, less steep) and so have found myself moving away from low lofted drivers and "barge pole" high kick shafts to these two recent builds. Distance is still really good (250-280m, depending on shot shape, run, and on wide open tracks I can still pump the occasional big one out, but now my lower back will tell me that was dumb the next morning!).

So the specs on these 2 builds - thanks to Mike Percival in Brisbane who did a great job with these:

"Thumper"

Jbeam 425 Tour 10.5*, Black IP finish, square face/Roddio Shingo Spec 2009 M6x untipped (looks more open)

46.25 inches, D5, 258cpm

Masda Slick Fit black grip

"Rainbow"

Jbeam 535 11.0*, square face/Roddio Shingo Spec 2010 M6x untipped (looks more closed)

46.25 inches, D5, 258cpm

Masda Slick Fit green grip

I knew from reviews that the 2010 (green and gold) Shingo was a bit tighter and stiffer than the 2009 (red and gold), so was hoping the added loft and reduced hosel depth in the 535 would compensate and produce a similar frequency - it did - right on the money. They both are identical overall weight and feel very similar to swing - this is a good thing!

Feel and Sound

425 more solid, spongy, thumpy and better sounding thwack

535 feels lighter, hollower and is a bit louder (half way between 435 and 425 sound), but still a nice sound

Flight, Workability and Bias

425 low, strong mid flight in general and more anti left, but can really adjust in a big way with tee height and swing path. I can hit all sorts of shots with this thing and it is a much better club for windy links. I dare say better for lots of dog legs because it is more workable and easier to choke down on and "make behave". 425 Tour I reckon would have slightly lower spin rate, and for out-and-out distance this is the one I think I would reach for, but they are both plenty long and even with good science I don't think you could pick them apart.

535 much higher off the bat but with no ballooning, no matter what the tee height, and for me I can aim down the right side all day knowing it will go straight or come back with a slight draw. Early on I did hit some left, but that was more an aiming issue. Minimally workable (about half the curvature of the 425 for same swing), but just such a dependable ballflight and a lot more carry. When not much run or on tighter tracks this will be my go-to driver.

Forgiveness

I find both OK, but the 535 definitely has a bigger, "thinner" centre and inspires more confidence at address - you can see a lot more face - and it's BIG.

This has got me excited, so as with any true HO, am now building 2 full "Thumper (links)" and "Rainbow (parkland)" bags to meld around these 2 excellent drivers, and will post pics in WITB soon.

Highly recommend these 2 Jbeam drivers - AND now would even more highly recommend building them both with same or similar shaft to get a multitude of shot types from something that retains familiarity in your hands. GET BOTH!!!!

Happy golfing

D

get both...

hahahahaha..LOVE THAT!

great review prof.

my bud has the 09shingo in a ryoma d1,@ 46.75 inch

hes picked up 20-30 yards with it . everything is drawn now .

big thwack, u shud see the lag on it to impact its like a string of spaggetti

he never misses it right ever. nad hes not long used to be 220 isn now its lways 240+

those shafts are king for having a long driver length.

i had a cut 10 in a 425 tour and it was ... gulp.... characte building

tipping them , id suggest u need to have a pretty roudned swing plane to control, if u do.. then its awsome.

u just got me thinkging, bec i MIGHT , just ahve a spare 2010 tht aint in use right now.

hmmmmmmmmmm

a 10* 451/2 inch 425 might be a very very interesting build indeed!

Thanks Stu - mostly your fault my downstairs looks like a golf shop you know!

For sure, stick your 2010 Shingo in the 10* 425. May need heavy weights in the head (and mostly in the toe for you) to get it dialed in, but the feel at impact on this thing will have you smiling. Very intoxicating with the Roddios. Feel with Rombax was terrible in comparison!

Despite the long shafts, I find the middle of these things more than my 45 inch Epon and Yamaha Tourmodel drivers (all up for sale soon) - goes to show how important the right shafts are once you discover them.

cud not agree more.

i have always been the biggest roddio fan, no idea why they dont have a proper marketing team

roddio was one of my first JDM brands. i alway have a look at their new stuff. esp the shafts but well ,since shingo left em they kinda just lost the kind of "it" tag

the shingo labo spec was one of the most sought after uuber expensive lines here.

they got oodels of underground street cred, for his stuff.

seriosly daiwa make fishing rods .. pretty sure they know a thing of two about how to put carbon sheets together!

the jbeam,a i jsut keep getting amazed at how much i hate the sound of them but how much i love the performance,same as ryoma .

One driver is never enough ;)

Often thought of sporting two in the bag. One fade bias and one draw bias in order to cover all bases off the tee

Edited by mpuk

never hit the 425, but while the Zero is a huge winner compared to many drivers when it's behaving, when it's not, the mis**t for me is a big wayward block/slice to the right. it's also very tough to get consistent results with this club unless your swing is dialed in, IMO. Unforgiving is really the perfect word to describe overall general experience, but when things are cooking, its amazing.

Edited by needmoregolf

Have never hit the Zero. Have two other Epon drivers plus many Yamahas, Mizunos etc and the 425 Tour is very user friendly and the sound and feel is more solid than other Jbeams. I just think it is a very well designed head, and it grows on you over time like some of the best music albums!!