Tourstage Air Muscle review

primo

The Tourstage Air Muscle is a great looking club. It's as long heel to toe as my MR-23 CB, and sets up like a regular Tourstage iron with a extra large muscle back. I played 2 rounds this weekend including a round in mild bandon wind. I found the AM great off the tee, nice feel, somewhat lower trajectory. Off the deck it's about as easy to hit as your 5 iron. It's not as easy as say some of the hybrids are, I think it's due to the size of the club. It is more forgiving than a normal long iron. I found this club particlarly useful for those knockdowns and screamers. However I found it a little difficult to get the ball high into the air off the deck. The feel is great, it has more of an iron feel than a wood/hybrid feel. I found that I kept hooking the ball, so I'm going to reshaft to an S400 and make it a 1/2" longer and see if that helps.

Thanks, Primo...you know we've been waiting to hear about the AM for ssssssOOOOOO long.

You mentioned that it has a lower trajectory off the tee...then you mentioned that hitting it off the deck was like hitting a 5 iron and difficult to get it in the air in the wind. So let me ask, how hight do you hit your 5 iron? And which AM were you referring to, #2 or #3? I ask this because I can hit my 5 iron kinda high so the AM might not be that bad in this case.

As for the feel, would you say they felt close or similar to a regular iron more like all other clubs of this type, i.e. Fli-Hi, Fourteen, etc? Which of these type feels best?

Did you get in good swings from the rough? I'm hoping to replace a rescue type club but also want "rescue" type performance occasionally in a driving iron...is the AM versatile enough?

Thanks.

Hey Da, I'm talking about the #2 which has a s200 shaft in it. The length is just a hair shorter than my 3 iron which is 1/2" over standard Japanese specs.

I made the comment about the 5 iron as in degree of difficulty to hit. It's definitely easy than the 3 and 4 iron to hit, but about as easy to hit as a 5 iron. The feel of this club to me feels more like a real iron, rather than a hybrid iron (858, etc) Personally I like this feel a lot better than the hybrid, I would describe it as more pure. I did get some swings in the rough and it is able to get through wet grass at least. Everything was wet up here this week and pacific doesn't really have any rough. It does seem to cut through grass better any long iron I've ever hit. I did use it for utility type functions, especially punch shots out of nasty lies. It does do those type of things really well. I don't think you'll be able to hit it, out of dry deep rough out for 200 yard carry. It will get that much roll though. The thing is about this club is that's it's really small, so you don't get the kind of forgiveness you would out of say the FUT or those types of hyrbids.

I just might possess the skill for this club. If you're interested in buying it send me a pm. I'm thinking about going with a 7 wood and giving up on the hybrids.

Well I was going to change the shaft, but I haven't done that yet. It has a s200 in it right now. I'll let it go for $215 shipped and paypalled with a project X 6.0 40" long, or $200 with the s200 or head only.

I'm open to any offers or trades. Always interested in putters, or a 5/6/7 woods.

Well I was going to change the shaft, but I haven't done that yet. It has a s200 in it right now. I'll let it go for $215 shipped and paypalled with a project X 6.0 40" long, or $200 with the s200 or head only.

I'm open to any offers or trades. Always interested in putters, or a 5/6/7 woods.

I'm going to try out some distant cousins of the AM first (the SYB). Don't want to get in too deep yet. Thanks.

Dwayne

That's not a bad idea, I played the SYB MC707 I thought it performed great. I just couldn't get over how it looked. Probably the best performing club I had of all the hybrids though.

You didn't like the look of 'em? Why da' hell not?

I believe Ari said it best when he noted that the SYB and the Fourteen, just doesn't know what it wants to be. It's not really an iron, it's not really a hybrid. It just looks like a long fat iron that didn't really want to become a hybrid. I must admit the club did perform, bottom line I just didn't like the way it looked. I thought I would get used to it, but I never did.