the Best Irons I've ever Gamed Period...2014 Titleist VG3

mightyva

with 20 rounds in and 3 tournament rounds I'm happy to declare the above statement with no reservation.

Absolutely fantastic, looks sound feel forgiveness playability and control...and super distance.

Better combination of the above noted than any other set of irons I've played in 25 years of golf around the World. I have them paired with UST Prototype Recoil 95S. My o index friend hit them today along side is Muira 202's and declared them 1.5x's longer, and better feeling.

Just want to say thanks to Chris for his help in getting me into this great setup.

Welcome aboard the bandwagon singing praise of the VG3 irons. I have been saying the same thing for the past 6 months. Best irons, hands down. They are staying in my bag for next year as well. First time that has happened in a long, long time!!

with 20 rounds in and 3 tournament rounds I'm happy to declare the above statement with no reservation.

Absolutely fantastic, looks sound feel forgiveness playability and control...and super distance.

Better combination of the above noted than any other set of irons I've played in 25 years of golf around the World. I have them paired with UST Prototype Recoil 95S. My o index friend hit them today along side is Muira 202's and declared them 1.5x's longer, and better feeling.

Just want to say thanks to Chris for his help in getting me into this great setup.

This makes me happy! VG3's are a no brainer and I'm always confident in suggesting them to anyone who requests more forgiveness, soft feel, more distance and minimal offset.

A few of my blade and players CB guys try them and never look back.

This makes me happy! VG3's are a no brainer and I'm always confident in suggesting them to anyone who requests more forgiveness, soft feel, more distance and minimal offset.

A few of my blade and players CB guys try them and never look back.

How do the VG3's compare against RomaRo Ray V Forged Type R?

Currently gaming AP2 712's.

How do the VG3's compare against RomaRo Ray V Forged Type R?

Currently gaming AP2 712's.

I think the RomaRo Type R are a close second to the VG3's, a very close second.

ONOFF Kuro

VG3

Type-R

All three of those are safe JDM bet's.

I have played the Romaro Type R and VG3's. VG3's are better.

I went from AP2's to the VG3's in 2010. Never looked back.

I just replaced my 2010 VG3's with the 2014. Put Recoil 110's in mine. I have been a VG3 fanboy for years. It is an iron that should be here in the US.

2014 is an upgrade. I really like the short iron change to a solid cavity vs the hollow back of the 2010. Great irons. 2010's are now my backup.....

Edited by stevopagolf

If you are just comparing the VG3 and Type R, I would take the VG3 having play both but own the VG3.

Onoff kuro vs. vg3?

Never played the Kuro, they do look nice.

I played previous OnOff forged offerings. The VG3's were more forgiving. I would say that someone can play the VG3's from a 0-20 HCP. The On-Off I would say more so 0-12. On Off more workable...

Just an opinion.

have not hit Ray irons, but the VG3 vs AP2 is entirely different performance and feel level. same size club behind the ball, u have to look close to see a bit more top line in the VG3 haye a tad bit more offset but no where near a large GI club.

they feel better go further faster, great s20 feel with a hint of turbo charged kick at impact from the s45 faces.

I can move the ball with ease a little in each direction, no difference there vs any cb mid size blade that ive played before.

they are smaller and a million times better looking than the new Srixon 545.

little more forgiving in the 5 iron vs AP2 all others about the same in terms of forgiveness.

It's a better feeling AP2 on steroids really.

If you play for a lot of money or play to shoot the lowest score possible these should be on your radar.

Hey Stevo,

Nice you finally purchased the 2014 model. Definite upgrade than the 2010 in my opinion.

Edited by Henry

Henry I agree!!

VGs or Kuros?

Pete-

I upgraded my 2010 VG3's to 2014 VG3's. Kuro's look nice though I don't like the big donut in the back. My guess is Kuro's are a tad more player than the VG3, though the VG3's certainly can be played by a player. Rich can play and he still plays the 2010 VG3...

"A donut without a hole is a Danish"--Ty Webb.

Own and played both the 2013 Onoff Forged and 2012 VG3. Of coz both sets of irons are on different shafts so comparison is not apple-to-apple per se.

Softness: Onoff is softer. VG3 has a clicky sound even when struck on the sweet spot

Address: Onoff is more sleek and VG3 thicker top line

Forgiveness: More distance loss for the Onoff on bad hits.

Flight: The VG3 has a higher flight compared to the Onoff.

Others: The Onoff cuts and shreds the ball more.

Preference: Onoff Forged is my primary irons now. It feels better, maybe due to the shaft. It cuts the turf better too.

• 3 weeks later...

I owned the 2014 VG3 for a few months. The feel on those clubs is amazing. It really is. The issue I had with them is the way the lofts were spaced out. only 2º separating the 4 and 5 irons. 5º between the 9 and Pw.

I was using blades for 7 years before buying the VG3s. The weight of the chunky head didn't appeal to me either. short irons the head felt to heavy. On the 4 iron the shaft felt too whippy. The 6 iron was the sweet spot in the set. I sold them Got Mizuno with KBS shaft. Every happy with them. I have a 12-15 yards (carry) gap per club, which for me is ideal.

I can see why A lot of people really love the VG3s. Probably why Mizuno modeled their JPX850 forged after them.

• 2 weeks later...

My builder tweaked all my lofts 2* weaker to play off a 46*PW. He was impressed that the VG3 lofts were dead on stated spec. You would be surprised how far off he has seen them on other sets.

I really like the 2014's They are an upgrade from my 2010's. Wish I had the 4 iron.

• 2 months later...

I know some have already commented, I am considering RomaRo v type r of VG3. I would get the VG3 but the sole on the type r is very interesting, does it make much difference? Also, is there much difference in feel and distance? I hit the v (not type r) in Japan in a net and liked the solid feel.

I haven't played the VG3 but liked my Type R, feel is soft with good distance. VG3 should be a bit more forgiving, but if you like the V, you should like the Type R while it is more forgiving than the V.

I've owned 2010 VG3, 2012 VG3, and Type R. I've hit the 2014 VG3.

Type R felt the best to me. Feel is sort of relative, but VG3 just feels like typical soft forged irons w/ all 3 versions I've tried. Type R felt soft, yet dense. I like feeling soft and muted irons as much as the next guy, but solid and dense impact too. I don't think the VG3 are any more forgiving than the Type R. When I hit VG3 on the toe, heel, wherever, I got good distance. But when I hit in on the screws, sometimes the ball jumps off the face too hot, and I'd get a rocket going 10 yards farther than I wanted. Type R was such predictable distance. Off the heal, toe, didn't matter, and I wouldn't get those random rockets. That said, I was a club, maybe even a club and a half, longer overall with the VG3...just a much longer iron. Also, the turf interaction with the Type R is more versatile than the VG3 for my swing (I only take small divots).

Aesthetically, the Type R irons are miles above the VG3. Love that dark finish. The quality of the finish on Romaro clubs are freaking crazy good. I've smashed my SX-IS wedges (the ones w/ the dark finish) into the range mat a thousand times. I go over it w/ my towel and the finish is still scratchless. Setting up over the ball, Type R is prettier too. From what I remember, the offsets are very similar, so no issues there. I think it's the slightly thinner topline I got along better with.

I regret selling my Type R. Just my 2 cents.