Mizuno Grad Mp: center of gravity question

jedioliver

Hi Guys;

I would like to reshaft a set of Mizuno Grad Mp irons.

All the heads are in near new condition as I didn't use this set a lot.

I have deshafted them and was first suprised to see that they were balanced with something like lead/aluminum/epoxy mixture in a special cavity under the hosel section. This cavity is quite big on few of the heads and nearly non-existant on the other.

I thought that Mizuno quality was better and that their heads were not balanced using this particular process (ala Golfsmith...)

Well, I guess it is not so important, the main thing is to achieve the desired weight... :?

The thing that amazed me much more is that I tried to determine precisely the center of gravity of all the heads (puting the face on a point and trying to "balance" the head in the air), and it was absolutely not what I expected.

I thought that the design of a head was made so that the center of gravity was always in the middle of the face from heel to toe or in the middle of the hiting area.

My heads have their center of gravity more on the heel, not really far from the middle, but on the heel side.

Is this usual???...

What is worring me, is that if I add once again lead in the "weight cavity", the center of gravity will be much more on the heel side this time.

I thougt the COG was moving from toe (on the 3 iron) to heel (for the PW) because of the perimeter mass design.

I mean, there is more mass on the toe for a 3 iron than for the PW.

This should means that the COG is more on the toe side.

What is the process used to keep the COG in the same position from a club to another? Is it due to shorter hosel on long irons and longer on a PW.

BTW, is the COG really important???...is it really noticeable if it moves from one head to another?

I am a little bit afraid now to reshaft these heads and to move it all over the place.

Do you know a good website were I could find info on this?

Thank you very much and sorry for my long thread...

Olivier...