The Fairway Wood Shaft Thread!

TourSpecGolfer

Lots of questions lately about what the top fairway wood shafts are so I think a specific thread is in order to help those looking.

Everyone is different some inquiries are about lighter softer, lighter stiffer, heavier softer, and heavy telephone polls so remember to each is own and hopefully we find this thread supportive in your quest for the perfect long shot.

A few things first:

1. Not everyone should be playing a 3 wood. We all want to but the truth is not many of us can hit one consistently and that's usually due to the lack of ability to make clean contact repeatedly so a general rule of thumb is if you regularly lose strokes because your 3 wood you may want to try starting with a 5 wood or perhaps a 5 wood at 3 wood length, no shame at all it's smart.

2. We all use our 3 woods differently, some longer hitters use it mostly off the tee on tight holes while people who don't hit as long need all the distance they can get off the fairway. Then there are those in the middle who do both so consider what YOU use it for and not others online.

3. General rule of thumb has been heavier is better for fairway wood shafts, this is dated and it really depends on the individual's swing and what goals they wish to accomplish.

4. This thread is for only fairway wood dedicated shafts, Yes there are driver shafts when cut down perform with very good results but this opens a can of worms because everyone can say this or that worked for them but we want to be as laser as possible as there are already so many choices we need not confuse things further.

5. What works for one person may not work for you, the internet especially golf forums is full of opinions and while some are valuable you must consider that we are all different and in the end your the one paying and playing it.

Top JDM options in no particular order:

Crazy FW80 - 66-76g range

Crazy Longest Yard 01 FW Evo - 53-59g range

Crazy FW-50 Sigma - 70-80g range

Crazy Royal Decoration FW - 52g range

TRPX Messenger FW - 66 - 68g range

TRPX X-Line Concept 75 (W) - 75 - 77g range

Waccine Compo FW GR-88 - 80 -110g range

Waccine Compo FW GR-77 - 70 - 80g range

Waccine Compo FW GR-55 - 45 - 65g range

Fujikura Speeder FW - 40/50/60/70/80

Fujikura Rombax FW - 45/55/65/75/85

Basileus Z FW - 55/65/75

Basileus Fiamma FW - 50/60/70

Basileus Spada V2 - 55/65/75

Basileus Leggero FW - 55/65

Quadra Fire Express FW - 55/65/75

Quadra Fire Express Type D FW - 55/65/75

UST Mamiya ATTAS FW - 55/65/75/85

MUSO XDB FW 65/75

Diamana Thump Japan FW - 55/65/75/85

Graphite Design SF FW - 50/60/70/80/90

Q: When to go for a lighter shaft versus heavy?

A: Generally heavier is for faster more aggressive swing types, it helps smooth things out in tempo and transition meaning producing more stable and straighter shots as well as a lower trajectory. Lighter shafts are often for smoother swingers who often desire more distance, feel, and a higher trajectory.

Q: What is the difference between a FW shaft vs a Driver shaft?

A: Not much other than raw length and kick point, often manufactures that produce a driver shaft can easily change a few key specs and create a FW version. The reason why I suggest a dedicated FW shaft is because many push the kick point lower while shortening the shaft which helps in getting the ball up.

Q: How do I know which one of the models above is for me?

A: This is not an easy question, I suggest by logically considering what you want/need then cross referencing it with the specs and finally community opinions. One of the problems is shaft companies do not publish all the info but based on weight/material/flex/series/brand you can get a general idea of what to try.

Q: How do I know what I want?

A: General thoughts...

- If you are all over the place hitting it left, right, and you can feel the shaft kick lively it's a sign you are using a shaft that is too weak or require a different shaft to help you square the face up at impact more consistently.

- If the shaft feels overly stiff, flies low, and gives you little carry with more roll you can probably use something a little softer and lighter

- you can tell if you need a new fairway wood shaft if your ball balloons starting off low then climbs really quickly, trajectory is either too low or too high, the club is known to feel good but it just feels like garbage to you, you need to swing extra hard or extra soft to create a decent result/feel.

- shafts are like blue jeans: If you want to look your best, try on as many pairs as it takes to find the perfect fit " - so what's that supposed to mean? like any shaft or club, after a few buys and tries you begin to learn what works and what doesn't you need to either write it down or remember it because then it's all about trying different variations of the similar in materials, and slightly different specs of a similar flavor.

Don't be the guy who jumps from light to heavy, stiff to soft, blade to GI, trying everything and burning cash then ending up not learning what works. Give your clubs/shafts a chance, you spent all that money don't buy, try, then sell so quickly. Many buy a new club and after a couple rounds count it out and move to the next, not the way to do it and there are probably a dozen or so reading this that will think I'm talking specifically about them, I'm not I mean this in general to everyone.

good thread......
the idea about specific FW labeld shafts is important bec they are not the same beast.

the fire express original is a perfect example. differn kick differnt weight to the driver shaft

some like the FW better . some the driver.an u said depends on yr swing characteristis.

looking forward to some great dialogue in here...,

Heard the Diamana Thump is a really good FW shaft as well: http://www.tourspecgolf.com/diamana-thump-fairway-wood-shaft

Thank You! Added to the list :)

Whatabout anything from Graphite Design? anyone used an Ad UT or GT UT in a fairway wood?

I threw an old Fuji Rombax 70V (Rory Mcilroys old Driver shaft) in a Sonartec several years ago and it just works so well for me, great trajectory, feel, distance and feel, its getting a little long in the tooth and am starting to look for replacements, so this thread is of great interest.

I've found that for me, the stock fairway shafts I've tried go to high and left, so I always revert back back to stiffer and heavier driver shafts in a fairway. May need to try some of the ones on the list at some point :)

Whatabout anything from Graphite Design? anyone used an Ad UT or GT UT in a fairway wood?

I threw an old Fuji Rombax 70V (Rory Mcilroys old Driver shaft) in a Sonartec several years ago and it just works so well for me, great trajectory, feel, distance and feel, its getting a little long in the tooth and am starting to look for replacements, so this thread is of great interest.

"4. This thread is for only fairway wood dedicated shafts, Yes there are driver shafts when cut down perform with very good results but this opens a can of worms because everyone can say this or that worked for them but we want to be as laser as possible as there are already so many choices we need not confuse things further."

This is a FW wood specific thread, if we dump driver shafts in here, we could add 40+ more shafts to the confusion.

I've found that for me, the stock fairway shafts I've tried go to high and left, so I always revert back back to stiffer and heavier driver shafts in a fairway. May need to try some of the ones on the list at some point :)

That's not because it's a dedicated FW shaft, it's because of the shaft itself and how it interacts with your swing.

"4. This thread is for only fairway wood dedicated shafts, Yes there are driver shafts when cut down perform with very good results but this opens a can of worms because everyone can say this or that worked for them but we want to be as laser as possible as there are already so many choices we need not confuse things further."

This is a FW wood specific thread, if we dump driver shafts in here, we could add 40+ more shafts to the confusion.

Graphite Design does have the SF 5 to 8 FW.

I have played the FW80s for quite some time, now with a Ryoma F3...

I am about to try the Longest Yard 01 on a George Spirits 3 wood. I have noticed that a lighter shaft on my Drivers has given me a pretty decent result (shift from TJ80 to Black Tour La Bomba).

I am still very much addicted to Crazy shafts; I hope the production keeps going indefinitely :tsg_smilie_smile2:

Anyone try any of the lighter weight Fuji Speeder FW shafts? If so, can you describe characteristics...? Since I love the Fuji MCI iron shafts in the 70g weight, I've always been curious about these fwy's, too.

Used Diamana Blueboard 83 for quite some time, very good FW shaft. Currently using Fuji fw 80 and Tour spec 7.2, both working well.

I have an S Yard 3 wood with the standard Rombax shaft (stiff) that produce shots that mainly go left.

Anyone with similar results? Any shaft suggestions from the list above that would solve this?

Thanks

JDM Rombax has dedicated FW versions. I've tried the 85g version and was really good.

http://www.fujikurashaft.jp/material/rombax/fw/

Chris, great thread. So I tipped my messenger xxxx 3 wood shaft and it has made a world of difference in my egg HD. I'm glad I played this shaft longer than standard because I tipped it about. 75 inches. I have it at d3 but I wonder how the crazy FW80 would do in this head.

Do you know if crazy has any available and if so which would fit me? I do feel at times the messenger can be light but it hasn't hurt my game at all

JDM Rombax has dedicated FW versions. I've tried the 85g version and was really good.

http://www.fujikurashaft.jp/material/rombax/fw/

Thank you for this, list keeps getting bigger and better with everyone's help!

Chris, great thread. So I tipped my messenger xxxx 3 wood shaft and it has made a world of difference in my egg HD. I'm glad I played this shaft longer than standard because I tipped it about. 75 inches. I have it at d3 but I wonder how the crazy FW80 would do in this head.

Do you know if crazy has any available and if so which would fit me? I do feel at times the messenger can be light but it hasn't hurt my game at all

By tipping your xXx messenger FW shaft *FW version correct? it has slightly lowered the flight and spin while making it a touch stiffer but not by much.

The FW80 and the Messenger FW are two very different shafts, the FW80 is heavier and starts with a lower flight than the xXx anyway but to me playing it a little softer has a smoother feel than the xXx that has a more aggressive kick imo and gets the ball higher than the Crazy.

In FW80 I go a flex down to SR 6.9 but in the xXx messenger FW I would play a stiff. I like both very much, I think normal 95-100mph swingers need not go 75-80+ grams unless they have dispersion and tempo issues.

By tipping your xXx messenger FW shaft *FW version correct? it has slightly lowered the flight and spin while making it a touch stiffer but not by much.

The FW80 and the Messenger FW are two very different shafts, the FW80 is heavier and starts with a lower flight than the xXx anyway but to me playing it a little softer has a smoother feel than the xXx that has a more aggressive kick imo and gets the ball higher than the Crazy.

In FW80 I go a flex down to SR 6.9 but in the xXx messenger FW I would play a stiff. I like both very much, I think normal 95-100mph swingers need not go 75-80+ grams unless they have dispersion and tempo issues.

Chris

I have both the XXX FW and the FW80. The XXX is just as you put it smoother and softer shaft. Great if you want to try and keep a very smooth tempo. Ball flight is higher then with other FW's. Great compliment to the XXX Messenger 1st shaft

The FW80 is much heavier shaft and plays slightly stiffer then you would expect. The ball flight is defineltly on the low side. With the F5 I am using the ball has a much lower trajectory then one would expect from an 18degree wood.This is a great FW shaft and should be on most people's short list.

Chris,

interesting. so i have the Trpx Messenger FW in X Flex (4 stars) tipped .75". i think this is a solid profile but would be interested in the FW80 Crazy. the reason for the wanting to try the crazy would be to have the ability to create better wind penetrating draws which I think the FW80 would really help with. I have no idea what my SS is but my transition on my downswing is pretty aggressive and my takeaway is slow and smooth.