Ryoma Maxima vs. Special Tuning?

73montecarlo

I've got a normal Type-D and a Special Tune, Special tune is longer, they say its got 300rpm less spin as well but I can't tell.

Also worth noting is the special tune has no difference between the type D/V/G other than color where the normal version it changes the face angle and head weight if you pick one of the other.

Hope that helps, please let me know if you have other questions.

Somehow its my understanding that there are difference of the first ST vs the later maxima ST. Most prefer the first gen even TSGer, right? I read on this forum that the maxima ST is more difficult to control.

I was under the impression that a major difference is the thinner face on the ST, which produces higher COR but not suitable for the 105+ swinger due to potential damage...am I way off??

isnt special tuning non conforming ?

Special Tune = Non Conforming = Thinner Face = Higher Cor

If you swing over 103mph I don't suggest the Special Tune because the face is so thin it's prone to break, see warranty in product listing.

As for TSG'ers liking the D1 over the Maxima not really, D1 is for sure more stable but not long across the board. Shallow depth is deeper in D1, more shallow in Maxima meaning shaft tips play more active.

Wife gained a good 10-15yds with Maxima over D1, I'm about 10yds longer with special tune over standard Maxima.

I notice stronger more aggressive swings do better with D1 while more smooth swingers juice the Maxima for distance better.

Stronger/Aggressive player should go slightly heavier and more tip stiff shaft in the Maxima.

I have all of them d1st, maxima st, maxima typev. The d1 st is still the longest for me but very close to maxima st. Reg maxima type v is 5-10 yards shorter.

Much prefer the sound of the maxima over the old d1 though...

• 1 month later...

I tried all and Now the max st is my goto club for distance. But only after I changed out the shaft. I had a crazy deco in my d1 st before I cracked the head. At that time it was my best setup. I got the max st with the upgraded shaft. Not bad but when I put the crazy in the max st, the feel came back for me. I played the same course with both and this set up got me down farther than my d1 st. It's more forgiving than my ping but not as much as my regular d1, can't comment against the d1st as I returned the head. Must say, it's a blast to play with, no regrets.