Need help-Yamada putter

Mob

That 875 looks sweet. Used my 85029 for the 1st time today. Nice roller of the rock it is...!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Have you used it on this finish before? Just don't want to ruin it.

OK, so I got my 85029 Burning Copper a few days ago, and was elated rolling a few putts the first night she was at home. As I was looking down, I started focusing on areas of the finish that were kinda dull w/ that typical Burning Copper mustard brown (typical for older ones that have been sitting), and really wanted to bring some sheen back to it. So, I figured, why not do a quick wipe w/ some Bar Keeper's Friend (BKF).

So, I proceeded to the garage and started in on the sole, top line, neck, face and back flange/bumpers mainly. After working it in a bit, I started to notice the characteristic finish disappearing and a thought of ruining the finish of this brand new putter (to me) grabbed a firm hold of my head and I literally cursed myself out -- F$#!&*!! I was beside myself in total disbelief as all I saw was this light orangish-pinkish hue and it looked totally different from the parts that didn't get as much work w/ the BKF like the back cavity, hosel and the face. The sheen was there but the beautiful characteristic Burning Copper finish was changed, and I thought I totally screwed the finish up because from what I knew, the putter itself isn't made of copper or even a copper plating, but more so a finish that Yamada applies, so thought I was basically stripping it off.

Well, the last couple of days I've been praying and holding the head of this putter as much as possible, hoping the oils from my skin and exposure to air would help patina it back to something close to the original finish. I'm happy to report that it's now coming back very nicely with that deep orange and even purplish hues and the sheen is still "burning" through, so in fact, I achieved my original intent. It's blending in nicely w/ the areas that weren't affected as much and the overall finish is really looking great, so my report here is to say, don't be afraid to take some BKF to your Burning Copper Yamada's, just give it some time to come back!

I'll post some pics of how it looks now when I get a chance.

Edited by needmoregolf

I really should have taken a pic after the BKF wipe down, to show the before pic, but here's the current state of the finish, w/ the nice deep orange and purple, and the much desired sheen I wanted:

post-16640-0-46798400-1433692475_thumb.j

Compare that to the finish when I first got it (before BKF). So far, I have purchased 2 used older Yamada's w/ Burning Copper finish and 1 brand new one straight from Yamada, and my observations are that the finish gets dull and mustard-brown in color over time, whereas the newer ones do have a brighter sheen and are more orange in color:

post-16640-0-47381600-1433692681_thumb.p

Both look nice but I prefer the brighter finish, and now I know it's repeatable to achieve that look :)

yeah, it almost looked rose gold colored to me which is pinkish and I thought I was wiping away the finish and would eventually reach silver/grey carbon. very glad that I was just being paranoid and the pinkish patina'd back to that rich orange with purple hues and the sheen burns through in places while being dull in others. I like it too now.

Edited by needmoregolf

I actually like the way it turned out over the original dull look. But either way is good ;)