JBEAM 435 Black Out Driver In Hand Pics!

TourSpecGolfer

I've now had range sessions and a few rounds with my Blackout with the 7D in it, and all I can say is I believe we've created a M-O-N-S-T-E-R. As I've noted before, I prefer lighter weight than many, and with this one I decided to build something very different from my fave T.388 which still launches low flying missiles. We went with a 50g 7D in the 11-deg Blackout and a higher launch plan, and man, this club works for me in the desired different way. Huge high draws that seem to gain their altitude immediately before a little baby draw kicks in that seems to pull the ball toward center like a magnet. Never seen anything quite like it with my drives. It's an absolute pleasure to hit, and for those who aren't nuts about the sound in the foamed Z11, this baby puts out a nice mid-range thwack, too. I also love the appearance of the Blackout head combined with the stealthy appearance of the 7D.

Interestingly, the T.388 with the 7D in it is still longer for me overall -- less carry at times, but longer roll out by far. But I feel like I have two top choices for drivers now, both with wonderful feel and performance, both super straight and long, depending on the course and conditions I'm playing. Can't recommend this combination more highly.

post-15743-0-81611300-1434034325_thumb.j

post-15743-0-55459300-1434034334_thumb.j

post-15743-0-07373800-1434034342_thumb.j

post-15743-0-76070500-1434034350_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Though I have sold my JB 435 Black head 11.5 0.5open. I used my go to shaft. Quadra Fe 65sx tipped 1/4" at 45" into a deep hosel should set it up not to balloon. Ball launch was high but it felt soon wasn't high.I'm pleased to say the face felt great. This composite ti sounds less tinny than the dat55 face, driver felt very forgiving, I can't say for certain I think it's easier to hit thst my previous 435s...maybe because of the loft. Distance was great...better than the Trpx for sure...hit the stand of trees behind my range...never done that. But at a true loft of 11 degrees then balls flight was just a tad too high for me. High time was longer and the balls weren't affected by head wind that much. But a prefer I mid flighted ball launch. As I play in wind swept sea side courses sometimes.

That's why I still game my Trpx D0-13 10 degree.It's not the longest... but I picked it up from a tsg member at a great price and it's working well enough until I find the head shaft combo I am looking for.

I might try the Black in another loft..however now I am curious about the ZY-11, might give it a whirl too.

But I agree with Chris...these 2 heads are pretty hot..get the right launch window is vital though.

Edited by Jeffrey Tan

Could someone tell me whether the ZY-11 also has a deep hosel? If so how does one build a longish club (46.5" perhaps) - will I get a raw shaft long enough to be able to insert it all the way in? I feel more secure having it all the way in than shafting it 3/4 in. I would not trust my club builder here, sadly, to do it right.

The head I have my sights on has a 1 degree closed face angle so this should help squaring up the face with a longer length, I hope.

• 4 weeks later...

I am now 4+ months into Blackout/TRPX Touale..So the honeymoon phase is finished. At 63 yrs, 230 is long for me. Previous custom fit driver had me at 210-220. I am almost always 230-250 off the tee with Blackout, and consistently in the fairway. I think it's the consistency of the driver that really blows me away. I am longer, straighter and more consistent with this than I can remember. Now, my swing has gotten better and better, so it's not all club. But this is the real deal. For me, anyway.

The things it does for me is it is low launch - I am lower with it at 11.5 than I was with 9* on previous. And just the right amount of spin - plenty of carry, plenty of roll.

I had thought I'd try a 7 Dreamers, but it's hard to think I want to now. I mean, I have done enough experimenting (just ask my wife whose eyes rolled up so many times with the next and next and next club that they damn near got stuck) to appreciate the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' philosophy. I think I am getting all I can out of this rig with my swing.

Anyway, just thought I should mention how incredibly pleased I am with this club.

When are you coming next to India Chuck .....so that you can enjoy our courses? Could set you up for a few games if you have the time.

Hey Serge, I am in Kolkata right now! Got to India Monday AM, not sure how long I'll be here. 2-3 weeks? Bangalore... now I will need to find a reason to come down there! I keep a set of clubs here in Kolkata but mainly can only practice maybe 1x/week. Pretty busy!

I will PM you with contact info. Would love to play if it can be managed.