JBEAM 435 Black Out Driver In Hand Pics!

TourSpecGolfer

I am expecting mine to arrive just about the time I get back to LA Wed. 11.5*, square. Gonna start with the Touale shaft which I have really liked in my Wishon head. I am as excited as I have ever been over a new club....
I just checked. It seems to have arrived today and is being held at to post office!

PS: what do you use when you 'short shaft' as a plug in the hosel? I assume you want to use something for the shaft to seat into.

Edited by chuck4golf

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just any cork stopper that will fit? I didn't see anything like this on golfsmith, for example.

I've only did it once and used a wine bottle cork. Cut with a knife and sand to size. I have the black 435 and love it. I shafted it with a TRPX x-line 75 all the way in. It's long and strait. Low flight. Let me know how it works for you as I'm thinking of doing the same to give more action in the tip. The head was a little loud so I put 6 cotton balls though the weight hole and it just right now.

...The head was a little loud so I put 6 cotton balls though the weight hole and it just right now.

Cotton in the 435 has turned it into the best feeling/sounding driver I've tried. For me it even spanks the T.388 in those departments!

Edited by chiromikey

very interesting, I'll have to try that. does it affect the weight a great deal, and if so, would you distribute evenly across the 3 weight ports?

I had a Nakashima 440 htec once that was very loud but te longest driver I ever had. It just laughed at cotton balls I tried to mute it with. If this driver is anywhere near as long (and I think it will be) then softening sound will be nice but I will accept whatever sound it makes.

Edited by chuck4golf

The old wine cork ploy! Ok then, that should be manageable. I think I know where you can find these.

It's open on inside. Even shaking in hand can't feel any movement inside. Added about 2-3g. Had to string the cotton balls out to long thin strips and use a tee to help push in.

thanks. now if you wanted to remove them ever, would it be easy to plier them out with a long needle nose or have any other suggestions?

Someone told me that shallowing also increases softness - bottom of the shaft to ground increases. I don't really understand this. Anyone got any insight?

Chris if you're still seeing this thread, any chance you could reach out to jbeam and expand on their thinking? They probably are best at sorting fact from fiction from irrelevant in this.

Someone told me that shallowing also increases softness - bottom of the shaft to ground increases. I don't really understand this. Anyone got any insight?

Chris if you're still seeing this thread, any chance you could reach out to jbeam and expand on their thinking? They probably are best at sorting fact from fiction from irrelevant in this.

Yes I can, but what is the question exactly?

FWIW, I had the conversation with Chris about foaming, etc, but he suggested I try the club first. And I'm glad I did. Even coming off the t388, which you guys know I LOVE, I don't find the sound and feel at all too harsh. It IS different, slightly lighter sounding, higher pitched. But it's part of what I like about it. The whole experience is one of lightness. And the ball just seems to launch weightlessly and fly with effortless velocity. I've been hitting some of the longest straightest drives of my life. Feel is wonderful. Sound is fine.

Of course can't wait to see what it's like with the 7D shaft in it, but like I said from the start, this club is the bomb ( as is).

I AM following this bread with interest though.

When you shallow the shaft does that soften the way the tip flexes because of the distance between the end of the tip and the ground? I read somewhere that it would play a little softer as a result. My guess is that it would have minimal impact.

When you shallow the shaft does that soften the way the tip flexes because of the distance between the end of the tip and the ground? I read somewhere that it would play a little softer as a result. My guess is that it would have minimal impact.

The tip plays more active because there isn't as much of a metal hosel restricting its flexibility. Same goes for Ryoma Maxima in reverse with its shallow hosel that allows less of the tip to be surrounded by hosel which lets the shaft tip flex more.

So... assume the same shaft is inserted in 2 heads, one with std hosel depth and 435. They are both inserted to the same depth. (1.5" or whatever it is). The 435, having a longer hosel, will have some space between the end of the shaft and the bottom of the hosel. Then the 435 will play with a little more tip flex. That's what I am reading your post to say, and what I have read elsewhere.

I would have never imagined this to be so. I struggle to think I will notice the difference. But I will build this club today so I want to make sure.

First impression. Naturally, after a lot of thinking this through, once I had head in hand, I just put it together. Now it plays at 46.75" because of shallowing the shaft without cutting it down. That's too long for me. This is the TRPX Touale S. My swing is 90 ish.

Again, being careful and diligent, I went straight to the course and walked right on. My fiirst swing of the club was at the first tee. Smoked it. Longest drive on this hole in ... wow, a long, long time. Great piercing trajectory and fast off the face. Sound - I am not sure what the issue with the sound is for people. I quite liked it. Later, when I missed a few, it was tinny, but solid hits sound rewarding to me. I don't think I will do anything to change the sound.

Ok, 2nd hole. God awful. (I have only had 2 practice sessions in last 5 weeks, and not touched a club in last 3, so I had low expectations about my game). Whereas my Wishon is among the most forgiving on the planet, this isn't. And I know the shaft is too long. Center hits matter a lot on this head. I am tempted to take this shaft out and put it back in the Wishon where it is such a good match and think about the right shaft systematically with this head.

And so it went. Good swings were really great. Poor ones put me in more trouble than I am used to. But given I swung at it about as bad as I ever do these days after the layoff, I was really pleased. One every hole I made a decent pass at it, I was 10-20 yards past what I am used to seeing. I really think the ball is very fast off the face and the low spin and right launch angle make for great results. 11.5* for me is not too much loft.

I will post again after I have had some time with it, but first impression is solid.

OK... several practice sessions and 2 more rounds. Three clear conclusions:

1. Long. It is long. I think it's the low launch, low spin, but it is as long for me as I had hoped.

2. It's not hard to hit and mis**ts do ok, but real bad swings get hammered. I think you've to be able to play players' cb's to enjoy these.

3. Sound is satisfying on center face hits, but gets 'metallic' sounding on mis**ts, even those that launch without much performance loss

(And it is a great looking head at address.)

Agree with all these, C, (although I still prefer the look of the t388 at address).

Still can't wait (but am still waiting... "patiently..." ) to try it with the 7D. Will report in whenever that arrives.

RLL, the head clearly deserves a shaft that sets it off. I think with the deep hosel, when you don't insert it fully (I set the Touale at the same depth as I had it in with the Wishon) then it plays a little more tip flexy. Seems like it to me, which I sort of expected and thought would be a good thing. I think it's because there is mass beneath the end of the shaft. But this is at the outer limits of my understanding of these things. I would reach out to 7 Dreamers re this - but because of Chris's comment about their perception of the 435, I assume they are fully familiar with this. But the depth of the hosel and how deep the shaft is seated is a meaningful variable, IMO.

I am thinking later this year I will stop by in Japan enroute to India and go the full Monte on the shaft. Except this is already a $1000+ driver and the farm boy in me gulps at this.

I recently traded for one of these bad boys, and at first I thought it wasn't up to the hype, but boy was I wrong. Dialed it in over a range session or two and man, this thing is a canon! I get a higher launch than my TRPX | Diamana X 70s combo but its got more carry and more roll...using range rocks no less! Can't wait to see the results on the course w/ a real ball.

Currently it's shafted w/ a Quadra Max WBQ 65s and while I don't usually venture into that shaft weight, its seemingly good so far, and has a nice pronounced kick that I'm liking. Had this same shaft in x flex in a previous driver and that was anti-left which I wasn't too thrilled about, but this flex is pretty good as I can draw it. So far though, I have seen mainly long straight high flying balls rocket off the face (there's something about the laser milling that provides good results). Sound is like how you describe it, Chuck, very appealing to the ears on center strikes and otherwise a little more metallic sounding, but nothing displeasing.

I can see a 7D pairing in the future when I'm ready to take the full plunge and not look back! That would require me to stop tinkering with other drivers though, and so far, that has proven to be an unsuccessful endeavor ;)

Edited by needmoregolf

Has anyone compared this with Maxima?