JBEAM 435 Black Out Driver In Hand Pics!

TourSpecGolfer

Not yet... <g>

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not yet... <g>

what is the current shaft implementation? also wondering if you could describe the sound at impact, thx bud.

Edited by needmoregolf

I agree! Loving the new 435. I got a 9.5* square face and shafted with a TRPX x-line 75 SX swing weight at D-3 45". This thing is a bomber. I've feel like I can work the ball however I want with it. It doesn't have a hollow sound. More of a nice crack. Not high pitched nor dull. Have three rounds in. I'm Thinking this will be in the bag for a long time!!

I put a Hiskei Wave shaft in first, which I always do so I have the same starting point with any new head. This is an unusual light weight carbon shaft made in Japan for a South Korean company and passed on to me by a clubmaker I've used, John Muir. It has multiple waves, or bubbles, about 8 inches from the end of the shaft, and it's one of the smoothest long distance shafts I've ever tried. I just may leave it in for a while, the combo is performing so well, but there is also the Messenger 1st sitting in my backup T388 that I may pull and give a shot. The T in the corner is broken hearted as it is, so I haven't had the nerve to think about pulling that 7D... (yet...)... (<g>)

Oh yeah, re: the sound, I had a discussion with Chris about this before going for the Blackout. I'd read a lot of the posts about a certain harshness of sound and/or feel from JBeam's, and it's what held me off on them for the most part. But Chris suggested I find out for myself and if I didn't like it, we could go for the new foaming option he's offering. But like Chris, I don't find the sound off putting at all. It IS a little higher pitched than the T388, which for me, has the nicest soft thwack sound I've ever heard coming off a driver head, but as I said, it's nothing extreme. And it may be the extra milling pattern on the face of the Blackout, but the impact is actually kind of soft. I can feel the ball on the face and it feels workable in a different way than I'm used to with a driver. The smaller head size keeps it closer to the T388 in looks for me at address, and I have to say, the way it sets up is just as cool and confidence inspiring. So far, it's been point and shoot and then watch 'em fly. Was hard for me to get through the weekend after hitting it last Friday, I was so itchy to get it back in my hands. Big smiles again yesterday (from me and the others in my foursome...). No sound issues at all.

Awesome, thx for the feedback, may pick one up when/if they're not quite so limited in the future.

Pull the 7D from the T?? No way, that was a perfect build from what I recall in your review...just get another one ;) lol

That's the kind of thought to be kept to itself, away from wife and even friends... <g>

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone is aware but you can install your shaft not fully inserted and use a cork in the gap to have your shaft play different.

This goes for all Jbeam hosels.

Can anyone compare this against the 535 please?

Thanks shank

Not sure if anyone is aware but you can install your shaft not fully inserted and use a cork in the gap to have your shaft play different.

This goes for all Jbeam hosels.

Ever tried anyone? What changes in profile and performance should one expect?

I asked JBeams lead designer why the deep hosel depth? he told me how deep do you install yours? I told him all the way and he said we don't have to and if we use a cork for the gap we can install less for a more active tip. Jbeams have a very deep hosel compared to other drivers and that's why a lot of powerful players like it, helps them keep straight and low.

So basically not inserted full length you get a more active tip which leads to a stronger kick but a little less control.

I asked JBeams lead designer why the deep hosel depth? he told me how deep do you install yours? I told him all the way and he said we don't have to and if we use a cork for the gap we can install less for a more active tip. Jbeams have a very deep hosel compared to other drivers and that's why a lot of powerful players like it, helps them keep straight and low.

So basically not inserted full length you get a more active tip which leads to a stronger kick but a little less control.

Chris

Is there a prescribed ideal size ? And what is maximum like 1/4"?

Because i know it I bring this idea to a club maker he might go Huh???

Edited by Jeffrey Tan

Chris

Is there a prescribed ideal size ? And what is maximum like 1/4"?

Because i know it I bring this idea to a club maker he might go Huh???

It should make sense your clubmaker, it's not common but some people do request shafts not fully inserted into the hosel.

Ask him to measure then install 3/4 of the way in or so if your going to try this.

Thanks For the suggestion.

Why I am considering this, is because I have a Shaft slightly too stout for my liking. This way I might just get away with it.

Another thing you might consider to get the cpm down is to add some weight to the head.

if the insertion depth of the shaft is too little, it can cause it to break.

in general, 1.25" is considered minimal depth for graphite shafts.

in either method, the swing weight of the club will increase slightly provided you don't cut the butt end.

Short shafting a club is analogous to tip trimming a shaft to gain cpms and lower ball flight.....Shafting a shaft full insert into a beam head is about the same as tipping your shaft about half an inch......Provided JBeam has 1.75-2" at full insertion, it is safe to short shaft it half an inch, but i agree with nob, i would not shaft it less than 1.25"

Edited by robbie

Great advice.....thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I built a blackout 10 degree with a AAA 50 gram in regular flex and this thing is insanely long.

Im usually a stiff flex in heavier shafts but figured the material may help stabilize while the flex will give me extra kick and a higher trajectory, also the idea was for a club that I could handle easily for all 18 holes without fading as previously I had a Crazy CB50 in this head and while it was laser and long after 7-10 holes I got sloppy on it.

The blackout has gotta be the longest driver ive hit when paired with the proper shaft and loft for your swing. longer than my special tune maxima and waay straighter with loads less spin.

Next it goes head to head against the new TW727 455S with ARMRQ8 62 Stiff 4 Star Shaft, winner of that goes up against the Blackout & ZY-11 with Seven Dreamers Distance Shafts.

Hope to be able to join that conversation soon, Chris... Any word from 7D yet...?

Hope to be able to join that conversation soon, Chris... Any word from 7D yet...?

All 7Ds are getting closer, there over 15 of them going out this month so next month we should have a lot of feedback in the forum.