Putting stroke trainers..

nobmontana

Having been reading Yamada-san's autobiography book that came with the putter I ordered direct from him.

In the book was a section which explained his putting stroke philosophy of keeping the face of the putter square throughout the stroke. I was a bit skeptical and did not think that was even physically possible.

What the heck! Nothing better to do for another 2 months. So I immediately started to practice his stroke on the carpet and so far seeing some improved consistency in the direction of my putts.

He also has this putting stroke trainer called "Dream 54. "

Decided to give it a shot. Should be here in a couple of weeks. Will report back once I have it.

In the meantime, what type of putting aid or trainer have you used and what kind of results have you seen?

Having been reading Yamada-san's autobiography book that came with the putter I ordered direct from him.

In the book was a section which explained his putting stroke philosophy of keeping the face of the putter square throughout the stroke. I was a bit skeptical and did not think that was even physically possible.

What the heck! Nothing better to do for another 2 months. So I immediately started to practice his stroke on the carpet and so far seeing some improved consistency in the direction of my putts.

Decided to give it a shot. Should be here in a couple of weeks. Will report back once I have it.

In the meantime, what type of putting aid or trainer have you used and what kind of results have you seen?

Where did you order yours? I've read about the dream 54 trainer and does make sense but just don't find any place selling it...

Looks alittle too confining. This stroke may work on short putts, but I find it hard to believe that you could stick with this method on longer putts; not even sure you would want to. I think you will end up having two different putting strokes between short and long putts which could eventually lead to other problems. If your stroke is way too, in out in, then maybe this can help. Curious to see what you think of it when you get it.

I have been using the CS2 putting trainer this winter and it works pretty well. It has a cheap look and feel to it, but does what it is supposed to do. The nice thing is you can adjust the gates to allow for a slight inside arc, if you desire. I believe that my putting stroke is alittle more consistent after using this for a few months. What I learned immediately, was that my putter was going outside as I pulled it back, as I kept hitting the gate on the outside by the toe of the putter. This device was helpful in correcting that.

Edited by Mob

I use Dave Pelz teacher clips. they stick to the face of the putter and if you are not square at impact it has prongs that send the ball off the face like a shank left or right.

Comes in three sizes

Looks alittle too confining. This stroke may work on short putts, but I find it hard to believe that you could stick with this method on longer putts; not even sure you would want to. I think you will end up having two different putting strokes between short and long putts which could eventually lead to other problems. If your stroke is way too, in out in, then maybe this can help. Curious to see what you think of it when you get it.

I have been using the CS2 putting trainer this winter and it works pretty well. It has a cheap look and feel to it, but does what it is supposed to do. The nice thing is you can adjust the gates to allow for a slight inside arc, if you desire. I believe that my putting stroke is alittle more consistent after using this for a few months. What I learned immediately, was that my putter was going outside as I pulled it back, as I kept hitting the gate on the outside by the toe of the putter. This device was helpful in correcting that.

Great observation!! Yes, the intended purpose of the "Dream 54" is to train your stroke for a consistent square impact so you can improve your putting inside of 2m. ( approx 6.5 ft ) I guess I'll find out how it might potentially impact my longer putts.

For now, I would be more than happy if I could consistently sink 4 and 5 footers. :)

I use Dave Pelz teacher clips. they stick to the face of the putter and if you are not square at impact it has prongs that send the ball off the face like a shank left or right.

Comes in three sizes

That looks really interesting. I might try that out.

Great observation!! Yes, the intended purpose of the "Dream 54" is to train your stroke for a consistent square impact so you can improve your putting inside of 2m. ( approx 6.5 ft ) I guess I'll find out how it might potentially impact my longer putts.

For now, I would be more than happy if I could consistently sink 4 and 5 footers. :)

Yeah, I could do with missing a few less 5 footers as well.

Love it.

I received my Yamada "Dream 54" putting stroke trainer today.

First impression is that ... well it feels a bit weird.

I enforces you to stroke the putter straight back and forth which in itself is unnatural while keeping the face of the putter square throughout the stroke. for now I am just going to keep faith in the thing and practice for a while.

Time will tell if this method is going to work for me our not.

• 1 month later...

Hey Montana,

I too saw the Yamada putt trainer and am interested in your take on the device. Any reviews? Thing is if 6 ft putts become automatic then 10 footers get easier too right?

Just noticed we have same Piper S putter. Mine's beat-up and previous owner mangled the goose neck bend. Took it to an old PGA pro in Seattle had the lie adjusted to my stroke and added a 100 gm counterweight and holy smokes this is a keeper. I need to replace the bend neck shaft but don't find them in TSG.

Always been partial to mallets and blade putters.

I use a simple alignment stick. I find a straight putt on the practice green place the stick nect to the hole, line up my putter 90* to the stick and try to roll putts parallel to the stick.

If you want to practice an arc stroke have the stick on the toe of your putter, if u want sbst then set up with it on the toe. It's simples.

• 5 months later...

Nob.... how the Dream 54 working out so far?? See any positive results?

• 2 weeks later...

The cheap version of this is to use rubber bands.

hmmm those retainer rubber bands in bright colors would work perfectly

• 4 months later...

You guys should give the TIBA Putt trainer a look. It is as simple as it gets and is based on the four-tee drill. "TIBA" stands for The Inch Before and After and that is the most critical area of a stroke that has the greatest impact on where the ball goes. It is a small company, but they are growing daily and when the video of Lydia Ko using one the Sunday morning before her last major victory surfaced, it gave a great deal of credibility to their device.

You can find them on Amazon, as well as direct thru their site, www.tibaputt.com.

It gets my whole-hearted endorsement and should be something every golfer keeps in his or her bag.

LaMont in AZ

I bought system 52 from Japan and have been using it at home. This device has helped me so much in recent months as my weakness is missing little short putts and I used to miss 4 or 5 of them resulting in a lot of three putts per round. When this happens, it really puts a lot of pressure on my lag putts as well since in my head I kept telling myself I have to lag it close enough for tap in. Now, I am okay with 4, 5 footer putts. Last round I shot even par with 4 birdies and that is a record for myself.