new putter love...Ryoma P3

RLL33

It's been a while since I felt something so unusual, so completely new and different in a putter that I not only couldn't put it down, but I had to get a second one as backup in case anything happened to the first. (Also so I could leave it in my bag and still have one at home to practice with...)

I first noticed the comments of a couple of forum regulars sometime toward the end of last year, one in particular saying he'd never felt anything quite like it, and I made a note to give it a try the next time my putter ho got a grip on me. And that turned out to be at the start of the new year.

First hit: what...?

Second hit: WHAT...?

Third: WTF!!!

Like a lot of you, I've been through most of what's out there with putters. (Happily, for the most part, I'd add...) Occasionally I come across something like a Yamada that immediately makes it into treasured territory. I felt that way about the 85029 the first time I hit it. And then again when Gold's restored it. And the Epon Zen, which has been my go-to most of the last year. And a Scotty Studio Design No.5 with a rainbow finish a long time ago...

But this thing is... well... unique. And I mean that in the best sense of the word. I've honestly never felt a putter do what this P3 does when it comes into contact with a golf ball. It's not just soft. It's as if the face slows down the moment of impact on a different plane in time. You feel the ball sink into whatever the alloy face is made of, as if in slow motion. And you have the same kind of time you have with a fine iron to shape your putt even as you hit it. And then the ball shoots out with its version of the thwack a great soft driver face leaves in your hands and ears after you catch it right on the sweet spot.

You want it perfectly straight? The balance on this thing is uncanny. You rock your shoulders and the head never leaves your line.

You want that perfect top spin roll from the fringe, without a bounce? Just ask, the thing reads your mind.

I told Chris that I had my all-time lowest putting round on my home course the second time I took it out, and that if it held up, I'd post about the experience. So here I am...

Like I said, I missed the thing in my hands overnight so much that I ordered a second one. So I now have one in silver and one in black.

Ryoma seems to get its highest praise for its drivers. But man, the P3 putter deserves a spot right up front, too. What can I say...? It's true putter love -- the one-of-a-kind kind! They really found something with this design.

Talked to Chris about that, but not really an option as it would require removing what makes the feel so special -- the insert. Also the way it feels as is I wouldn't want to tamper with!

PS. Thanks for that initial mention you gave it back when you first posted about it.

Richard glad it is working out for you. I picked one up last year and found it to be really nice. So nice that it is in my son's bag. He started using it in August and says he wouldn't try another putter again. It has a unique feel and a VERY true roll. For the price point it is one of the best non-modified off the rack putters you can get.

Totally agree, Ash. I'm even fond of the grip and the non-stepped shaft.

Can't agree more. I like everything about it except for the grip (which i changed to a leather). Nice combo of soft and clicky.

You guys have convinced me to give the Ryoma a try. I'm about to place an order with TSG. :tsg_smiley_drool:

I've also been eyeing the Yururi Nantetsu. Any thoughts on this putter? How about the Modart MPC R50?

You guys have convinced me to give the Ryoma a try. I'm about to place an order with TSG. :tsg_smiley_drool:

I've also been eyeing the Yururi Nantetsu. Any thoughts on this putter? How about the Modart MPC R50?

I have a Yururi nantestsu in very good condition that I am not using at all. PM me if you are interested.