Best Driver Material?

Alex S. Pranata

Hi guys. new to this forum. Im curious about driver material, Which one is the best and by what term it will differentiate it? Sound, feel, or distance?

So far from what i know driver material are, titanium 6-4rolled,pressed,etc....titanium ks100....titanium ELF-Ti...pure titanium...stainless steel...anybody know which is the best? and what makes it the best ?

for example onoff XP use 6-4Ti face...and onoff 2011 type-S using ELF-Ti face...what is the different?

what makes driver sound hollow?and loud? is it the material?

THankyou Guys...

There is no best, it's the combined effect of all parts together and the design matched with the shaft and the players swing.

Endo is ELF & KS-100 but oddly Endo drivers are not the best when it comes to distance hence why makers have moved overseas as Endo quickly tries to create harder face materials.

Right now the trend is DAT55G for distance and Forged Cup faces for feel.

What makes a driver hollow is design first then material.

Chris

why is the DAT 55 face best for distance.

I can't say that it is best in distance, it's the blend of all things but ball speeds "i'm told" are slightly higher, ( I can't prove that) before a few brands used it and their gripe was it's price but material costs have gone way down and it's being adopted more and more. DAT55 is a Japanese made material I personally can't say it's longer but I like the feel and sound of just about every DAT driver I have hit.

Personally I agree that the DAT 55 is just hoter than any other face material that I have hit. I think that it is the longest.

I was just wondering the science or physics behind it.

Doesn't the C.O.R determine how "hot" a face of a driver is?

If two drivers one with DAT-55 and another with KS-ELF had the same C.O.R, wouldn't they go the same distance

provided that spin and launch angle are the same? Maybe this is too simplified of an assumption?

• 2 months later...

Deflection is the perfect word when discussing steel or similar property materials. Newtons of force at impact will also effect the deflection.

Guess it all comes down to how consistent we can maintain the force at impact to how much deflection we get on each drive.

well from what ive hit nad NOTICED.

what ever jbeam 435 is made form seems to win for distance

what ever super hyten is.. (that i stuff s off the planet ) wins everything, overall distance, feel , looks

what ever the EPON 101 and zero are made from shud be botted and kept safe for ever.

i have NO idea what any of them are. nor do i care.

i just love hitting them.

funnily enough the 2 "worst " feeling drivers i have are the jbeam 435 and ryoma v-psec D1.

but u can have those "when u pry them from my cold dead hands"

Edited by supo67

• 3 weeks later...

Super hyten was the metal Kasco introduce in 1994.It cam from the japanese missile industry and was 2x harder than 64 v titanium.I was a rep and had stock clubs make it to the remax long drive finals in the right hands.

These were extemely hard heads with low spin and very expensive.I would further crogenic cool them and ballistic coat tyhe faces to make them even harder for more distance... Great heads !!!!

I've hit a few Super hyten Kasco drivers and they all felt great. That was years ago though

Edited by Vegaman

• 1 month later...

there is titanium and there is DAT55

i have playing partners that are total strangers who don't know nuts about JDM, Crazy, etc and more than one have remarked that the ball seems to "jump" off the face.

does that translate to distance? maybe not. the science? beats me.

but the cold forged DAT55 Crazy 460 driver sure feels great!

i know bro,

figure of speech to demonstrate that DAT55 is a different class of Ti.

I am discovering several head companies now offer the same head with face made of DAT55 or SP700, i believe, primarily to offer users different feel off the face. How I interpret that is the distance performance is not different. They typically do describe the SP700 as being "softer" feeling of the two. I think we can look at it like how we compare different material used for putters or irons and wedges for that matter.

I am discovering several head companies now offer the same head with face made of DAT55 or SP700, i believe, primarily to offer users different feel off the face. How I interpret that is the distance performance is not different. They typically do describe the SP700 as being "softer" feeling of the two. I think we can look at it like how we compare different material used for putters or irons and wedges for that matter.

Sorry allow me to clarify, we all want "G" DAT55G we can't forget the G. From Japan.

Many factories are now offering DAT55 that is not made in Japan. Many Japanese brands use these companies to make drivers so..

The best G comes out of Nagoya Japan. Hopefully people confuse "DAT55" like now days 80T is spoken about.

Saw your Crazy 460 driver review http://www.tourspecgolf.com/blog/crazy-crz-460-driver-review/

it mentions it's made of DAT55 from Nagoya... but there is no "G".

So the Nagoya plant produces DAT55 and DAT55G?

Or is it a recent "G" moniker to differentiate japan made DAT55 as you described?

Thanks

Sorry allow me to clarify, we all want "G" DAT55G we can't forget the G. From Japan.

Many factories are now offering DAT55 that is not made in Japan. Many Japanese brands use these companies to make drivers so..

The best G comes out of Nagoya Japan. Hopefully people confuse "DAT55" like now days 80T is spoken about.

Maybe too much mystifying...

DAT is the product designation by Daido Special Steel for their titanium alloys. One of these alloys is the DAT55G they developed.

Not sure if their patent is still running but anyway as it is their designation if you want to use a DAT55G you would have to purchase it from them (from their factory located in Nagoya - they have no overseas production)

If you look at their homepage they only list it with "G". I'm guessing here but most probably developed for spring application but as it is mainly used for Golf clubs the "G" is standing for Golf.