Seven Dreamers Shafts Update

TourSpecGolfer

Yesterday I had a fitting at 7D, if you ever have the chance while your in Japan in my opinion worth every penny, I'm going to highlight a few things that we learned during our meeting:

How/what does 7D take into account when matching the club head to the shaft?

- They purchase nearly every driver on the market to measure the CG, weight and how accurate the loft is, different brands have different ways of measurement so 7D has to do this in order to get accurate results The CG/Weight/Loft is taken into account before they introduce the 3 shaft options.

If the club head is important what happens if you pull the shaft and put into another head?

- This brings me to the next point which answers a lot, Do not pull a 7D shaft and put it into another head, these shafts are specifically designed to match with the head, this is why I ended up buying 4 shafts yesterday, I needed to buy a different shaft for each head I play.

How do they know what shaft is best for me?

- They do have extremely important algorithims but the personal opinion of the engineer/club fitter is vital. I could see the fitter's thinking hard and using a calculator while looking at my info then told me I can get you almost 20 yards more with a Distance option shaft also a stronger trajectory.

Difference between Haute vs Matrix?

- Matrix & Haute Couture are the same material made the same way, the major difference is the fitting which uses 7 sensors attached to the shaft that are tracked using cameras all around you combined with trackman data then the opinion of the fitter.

What happens if you are not happy with it's performance?

7D believes there must be a reason so what blew my mind was if you are not happy you can ship the shaft back, pay 200 usd. and answer another series of questions as to what you did or did not like about it. This can be done once with the Matrix, with Haute it can be done many times. Sort of a satisfaction guarantee. You are not allowed to change club heads or shaft designs i.e distance, control, standard.

The sensors on the shaft see where you are losing power, in my case it was just before impact which looks like the head leading the shaft this is common in amateur players also in my trajectory there were points in the ball flight where energy was lost, they did see a couple other things as well. In the end Control option vs Distance option I gained 18 yards. 235-240 yards was my total distance with my TRPX shaft with my 7D haute it was 255-260 swinging at 95mph. My TRPX was SR the 7D Distance option shaft was stiff flex.

Below helps a little understand what the 7 sensors pick up, this is my horrible swing, there are tons of little pockets of lost energy transfer which are considered inconsistencies so a big part of 7D is to design a shaft that gets rid of them and what many people will see in real world results is a smoother trajectory and arc. This also helps them figure out how stiff or soft to make different areas of the shaft, for me I need more tip stiff as you can see in the image below with my swing flaws the tip flexes and kicks too early losing lots of power.

post-18-0-56475900-1424729530_thumb.jpg

Thank you, Chris, for the details. Makes me still want a fitting some day even though I'm more than happy with mine.

So, if your swing technique improves over a season from some good 'ol hard work (and potentially some instruction), does the "satisfaction guarantee" apply in this case? Ultimately, one of the big reasons we buy new gear is the hopes of better performance, but at the same time, many of us are also trying to improve form and increase strength/flexibility, so the swing can change pretty drastically from those factors - how can this type of change be addressed when going 7D?

Just out of interest what heads you choose and what options.

Also when I had the haute one done, there was no mention of the 200 fee.

well i just selected my shaft of choice (distance) and i cant wait to get it. im glad there is a "comfort" in case i chose incorrectly. however, i have faith in the survey that my shaft will be fitted most appropriately.

My swing changes from what i did at work the day before to how many holes i played that day and how many beers i drank and whether my "girlfriend" came over. Way too many factors to calculate and i have a 4 plane swing with a hitch....my dream is to have a repeatable swing !

My swing changes from what i did at work the day before to how many holes i played that day and how many beers i drank and whether my "girlfriend" came over. Way too many factors to calculate and i have a 4 plane swing with a hitch....my dream is to have a repeatable swing !

hahaha hilarious..."girlfriend" lol

So if you are not happy with the shaft they selected for you then you get to give them $200 for them to try to get it right.

What am I missing here? For whatever reason it's not right and I have to pay them for the previlige to try again.

Edited by rjw

Yeah mate , first I have ever heard of it.

certauinly no mention of it was ever made to me so it must be a new thing

As everyone knows I am a big SD fan.

However, if I had to pay for them to replace a shaft that did not work, then you know where they can stick their shaft.

I certainly would not get another one, under those conditions

Particularly, given that I have read that it hardly ever happens anyway., that all are happy with the shaft

The 200 fee was recently decided and only for International clients. I was just informed yesterday and imo it's better than no returns.

Everything is expensive at 7D, for those who own one that hard box and soft bag it comes with costs them over 100 to produce alone, just the shipping cost to one of their accounts is 80 bucks within Japan.

Want your Matrix installed? Installation fee is 150 while haute is free.

Don't forget this is the company that sells a 120k shaft, a cup coffee is probably 20 bucks there.

As for how your swing changes I was told its not as drastic of a change that one would expect.

But really what's the alternative at this level? A track man and a world class fitter can't get this data.

Just a really cool option, imo it's the performance that makes it stand above the other makers

Is it for both the haute type and questionnaire one.

Definately better than no returns, but dont forget these are more expensive than a bag of peanuts.

From what I have heard the SD shafts have just given no problems, failures are rare.

I would take it that this may not be the case. If it was not a problem then there would be no need to charge. Obviously the returns are eating in to their profit margins.

I certainly hope TSG is going in to bat to get it removed

Is it for both the haute type and questionnaire one.

Definately better than no returns, but dont forget these are more expensive than a bag of peanuts.

From what I have heard the SD shafts have just given no problems, failures are rare.

I would take it that this may not be the case. If it was not a problem then there would be no need to charge. Obviously the returns are eating in to their profit margins.

I certainly hope TSG is going in to bat to get it removed

If you live in japan and have a haute and it's not performing properly you can take your driver in and this process is free. International it is not free.

There have been no returns in Japan yet.

The customer needs to answer more questions, send back entire club (attached) to driver, they take it apart, analyze the build + your info again with the new feedback, measure the head cg weight etc.. make the new shaft designed to solve the issue re assemble & re box and send back to our office to ship to you.

My cost for them to send me the box is 80 bucks, no kidding. my cost for them to install a matrix is 150 bucks for the install, thats unprecedented but so is this type of shaft, technology, facility The 200 bucks the way it was explained to me seems totally justified and knowing what I know it's what I would expect from this brand fyi TSG keeps not a penny of that 200.

Book markers are 80 bucks and business card holders are 500, this is totally in line with 7D imo.

Just out of interest what heads you choose and what options.

Also when I had the haute one done, there was no mention of the 200 fee.

I went with Jbeam ZY-11, Jbeam Black Out 435, Honma 455S, and Glorious 3 Wood.

Hows this one... when we asked the top engineer what is the best performing brand driver in their collection of results he said Jbeam 535 and 435!

I let the head engineer decide my options for me.

Excellent to know which heads they find perform the best.

Any chance you can get them to give you a few more that they find work well. May make it easier for anyone thinking of a SD shaft.

I know, I found the choice of head to be an incredibly hard decision.

With regards to the 200 bucks, I have to agree to disagree with you. For what you are paying it was a nice option for buyers. It is hard to take something away once you have started.

If there have been no problems, I cannot see a reason for them to charge it.

It has always been my intention to get another SD done with another 388 head to get a higher launch.

I doubt that will happen now.

I went with Jbeam ZY-11, Jbeam Black Out 435, Honma 455S, and Glorious 3 Wood.

Hows this one... when we asked the top engineer what is the best performing brand driver in their collection of results he said Jbeam 535 and 435!

I let the head engineer decide my options for me.

That's very interesting. And you said they test pretty much every driver available in Japan? Modart? Epon? PRGR? TPRX?

Any chance you can get them to give you a few more that they find work well.

It's not a question they appeared to want to answer but it wasn't what head works with 7D shafts well, it was what head have they found to have the best performance.

That's very interesting. And you said they test pretty much every driver available in Japan? Modart? Epon? PRGR? TPRX?

Of those brands you mentioned yes although there are some smaller brands or models I'm sure they don't have. They also buy almost every high end shaft in Japan to do testing and add it to their collection of info.

Right now 7D is building a web portal 7D customers to login and see their fitting data, notes, and compare their gains and performance against others with similar information, very expensive undertaking that I got to catch a glimpse of.

As for new products iron and hybrid shafts in the future, they already have driver and FW. Also small but something is for the 7D shafts soon you can select a small color band on the shaft like the image below:

post-18-0-63517400-1424815086_thumb.jpg

What if anything does 7D have to say on performance pairing with the D1 V spec or other Ryoma model clubheads??

What if anything does 7D have to say on performance pairing with the D1 V spec or other Ryoma model clubheads??

They won't answer any of this, we basically asked what head has the best performance of all tested the engineer quickly said Jbeam 535 and 435 without hesitation and of course I pressed on what about second best and then they declined to answer and said we only focus on our shaft quality.

Shingo Katayama was there, he has been going to 7D at least a couple times a week for a few months and is practicing very hard this year in hopes to raise in rankings to represent Japan in the Rio Olympics Golf.

Sounds like I should put one on the Blackout... Will email you, Chris.