Is there an advantage to using wedge specific shafts (that match weight & ball flight to your iron shafts) over just using your iron shafts?

Mjr. D

I'm wondering what you and pros typically do... match your wedges with the same shafts you use in your irons or use wedge specific shafts that match the ball flight and weight of your irons shafts?

Is there some advantage to wedge specific shafts?

Also does anyone know what the highest spinning, low launching wedge shaft that is currently available?

Thanks, appreciate the help!

I do feel wedge specific shafts that I have tried are spinnier than regular iron shafts.

I try to match the weight of the wedge shafts to the iron set that I am using it with.

Out of the different wedge shafts I tried, NS Pro WV series seem to give me the lower launch high spin combination.

The nice thing is that they come in 3 different weights which makes it easy to match it to your iron sets.

Agree on the NSPro WV shafts. I go back and forth on preferring those and the DG Spinner. The WV does launch lower. The only shaft I currently match to my iron shafts is an MCI in my 46-pitching wedge.

Spinners monacco and wv are in alll my wedges .

Spiners have the most spin

Monacco are low and super straight

Wv are hgher spin the fall.

Yesterday iwas hitting balls for first time in3 months

Monacco and wv the difference is enormous

Prob is i dont know which one i prefered .

With the mons the ball is low ultra straight and bites on contact with grass

The wv wer totally differnt kick and kinda floatier.

In the wind the mons are irreplacable they are just 8 iron shaftsre done.

Seriously i love both. But spineers too are good fun.

I use ns 950 s in all my lob wedges so i can get faster hands and more spin

Thanks guys. So you are using 8 iron Monaco shafts or do they make a Monaco wedge shaft?

Has anyone tried the either of the just released KBS wedge shaft offerings or the new Modus wedge shaft offerings?

Mons dont have wedge flex.

New modus 125 are excelent im getting a set or two made formthe and ofmsummer

Very straight 125x

130 x u might prefer tho

Actualy ud benebst withn 120 x lowest of the bunch

I'm talking about the new modus 3 wedge specific shafts. I have the modus 120 iron shafts in my onoff forged (2011) and they're extremely stable and accurate.

I too just noticed that Modus came out with a wedge specific shaft.

I wonder how they compare against the WV shafts.

I am also using Shimada Tour Wedge Black shafts in a couple of my wedges.

These are totally different in how they spin. I am getting good spin but because they seem to be higher launch,

the ball does the "land and release" thing which might not be a bad thing for trying to hole out with a chip.

I tried the KBS High Rev. For me, it didn't have the touch I like, and the Spinner is more spin that's more controllable.

I use the C-Taper iron shaft in my wedges. I say iron shaft because I've read they are 9 iron shafts straight in and but trimmed......

Very high launch. Can't really gauge spin at the mo, as the greens are so wet the ball just plugs.

MjrD

I have wedge specific shafts in some and shafts to match my iron sets in others.

For me, they play completely differently.

I actually prefer the iron shafts in my wedges, though it has taken a long time for me to think that.

They are just so different, you should shaft up a set and just see how you like it.

As far as ads and disads, Chris would be the one to ask.

Also, your swing speed is faster then my car, so I can only guess at the outcome. I would imagine you would get different results than most of us.

Good luck

MjrD

I have wedge specific shafts in some and shafts to match my iron sets in others.

For me, they play completely differently.

I actually prefer the iron shafts in my wedges, though it has taken a long time for me to think that.

They are just so different, you should shaft up a set and just see how you like it.

As far as ads and disads, Chris would be the one to ask.

Also, your swing speed is faster then my car, so I can only guess at the outcome. I would imagine you would get different results than most of us.

Good luck

+1 I'm in the same boat, I have tried most dedicated wedge shafts but end up using what I have in my irons, could be mental but I find it more consistent in feel, I also don't need the extra spin as I use wedges with grooves that shred.

MjrD with your speed and depending on your angle into the ball do you zip the ball back with wedges that you have gamed for more than a year? If you can produce big spin with worn grooves you really don't need the spin.

I used to swing down (over the top) more with my wedges and then yes I would suck them back but I also had Nippon wedge shafts when I did that. With my Gold's and SKy Dream Jumps and iron shafts I don't suck them back as much.... but i'm also not trying to hit down on the ball as much as that leads to an over the top move for me.

i might have another anwser for you D-san,

so theres a railway track thats being dug up behind my house..............,

ill ask the lads ( if they dont mind ) if they can shave a cpl of feet from it , round it out, and slap some industrial grade rubber on one end .

• 2 weeks later...

Iron shafts in wedges are only for full swings, but too stiff in partial shots.

For my gamers (staff bag), my fourteen wedges have 2 and 3 iron shafts in them just because I had shafts laying around! Those wedges spins well and surprisingly do not ballon despite soft stepped 7 times...

On my back up set (carry bag) I'm experimenting with heavy wedge shafts on my wedges (including PW) as I hit lots of partial shots with those. Will probably also put a wedge shaft in my 9 iron in the future so that all my scoring clubs (under 150 carry) gives me good control and accuracy.

Edited by neova

• 2 months later...

I got KBS Tour 90 S flex in all my irons and 50/54/58 wedges and get plenty of spin from half shots and full shots have got distance gaps inline with loft gaps.