blade choices of recent times ............

supo

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

season of blade play almost done.

srixon and honmas.

the srixons with the v-sole , and micro milling worked best in thicker, softer grass more like a really aggressive cavity than a blade had 1 superb round with them in some savage wind and nice grass with the dgs200s , this set launched vey low and powerfully, they were actualyl too low for what i need here tho. i need more carry and a higher softer fall. SO i resahfted a set with NS 105 protos , now these went good and especially in oz in winter on MUCH harder grass they excelled , on thinner harder ground they were a VAST improvement.

highly recomended shafting option the 105 are very tight and light. . very good match , better than the dg by a long way i think.

honmas, got both sets of the tw727m and the 717m.

smalls differnce here. subtle but def noticable.

both came with DGs200 as stock, absolutely NOHTHING wrong with the set up as is, very pro. results but once uve hit NS for a while its virtually impossible not to play them. the feel is just so addictive. its just a matter of which set..

ok so the 125s got the first set of 717m. played these back home in winter and they were good, ithink they need a bit hotter temps to really live, but they were pretty darn good as it was.

factors of note are the weight, much heavier compared to the 130s and 105. this made for a frozen rope flight. and a "heavy" ball. they fall haeavily and sit. its pretty good to take aim and shoot, not much beter if found ,ESPECIALLY in small blades!

u can kinda move them about a wee bit but really its like fine tuning the shot. the 130s i discoverd i can really move about , way more than the 125s.... im deciding right now which to reshaft the other sets with id think il prob go with one lighter set . like the 105s. might hard step those.. or a set of shimada 115 tours. and a set of 130s.

that shud leave all bases covered . and hopefully my desier to swap into other sets , that itch shud be scratched!.

found i much prefer the smaller compact heads as a rule. just somethiing about hitting a compressed small head that leaves everything in its wake. not sure exaclty waht it is , but its htere, heance why i played the honams more than everythin else this season.

really my fav set. (althought ill still be using the masdas on club champs day).

the honams really shon for me, they get my vote.

although on softer turf if u dont wanna play tiny heads, the srixons are just fantastic ,adn the feel is sublime, so soft, so nice.

for me tho its the tiny honams that won my bag spots

• 6 months later...

sometimes you have to put ur hands up and say I think ive found the best

buchi MB. I think u migh just be THE MAN.

just what I need, another set of the best blades of all time ill never play.

fk me these are good

how soft they feel - the Buchi's ???

yea they are soft there was a bit of a difference to the masdas I ahd in play.

the buchis are a thinner more compact head the masdas are slighty lfuller, the masdas have a better all round feel for sure, even miss hits tend to feel good. but both sets don't have that epon nor mizuno super soft , ball gets lost o nthe face sensation.

as a pure looking blade head the buchis juts pip the honmas for looks ,bec of the way they sit atr address, If anyone relemerbs the ping wood en drivers that slant backwards at address , well the buchis do the same thing

think u need time with them to get them wired bec I was hitting too deep al ot to start but once I got the lie of it it was a magicians dream.

they are very small heads and not for everyone.

but if ur a pure blade lover its hard not to bag a set foir special days.

im still yet to dislike anything ive seen/hit form buchi

• 4 months later...
On 6/10/2015 at 1:29 AM, needmoregolf said:

Have to agree with this assessment of the fulfillment with blades. So much of the game is mental that the validation of a great shot, not to mention that pure feel of a centered blade, rewards one with the sense of confidence, and it starts to build throughout the round with every shot. I've been gaming my Flatbacks lately because of this very reason.

I think this statement is about as close to my philosophy of blades as I ever read.  Being in India now, where I live a pretty spartan existence, I have a lot of time to consider a next set of iron.  There are SO MANY REALLY GOOD JDM options to choose from.  Today, the wind blew in from the east, so I was thinking Buchi blades, to mate with vs200.  

This thread is a hoot. And Stew's commentary, especially the women metaphor, should be in the JDM Hall of Fame.  

Edited by chuck4golf

I saw the  full  set of the new prgrs  yesterday.  I didn't hit them unfortunatly, but got a good look at the pw. that's the defining  club in my choices of clubs , I  had a good old waggle with them.  I looked them over like an ogling tiger wud a deer.  I think they will appeal to the fellas that prefer a more forgiving easy looking fatter /fuller head at address. they look  like they will go where they are told with the minim al of fuss and the feel is insane.

MY mind about them is they are a sort of  GI blade as far as blades go...................

they are like a CB/mb kinda look  for my  taste, nothing like the  miuraisms,honmans yonex..  bit more easy on the eye, ah lie a slightly more  compact AFtour..... id get them as a CB kinda thing they will go swimmingly on the thicker  fuller grasses on asia for sure. not sure if  theyd be my fist choice  for St. Andrews............ but  for whewre its humid I think they  wud be goooooooooooooooooood!!!

don't know  if ill get  a a set  ..........yet!

• 4 months later...

Prgr  rs forged....... i dunno what to call these but they are not blades. Muscle back maybe.. cavity muscle maybe, i dunno these nothing out there anything like these, once agaian prgr have  blown normality out the window.,  ihated the look of them but like all prgr irons i have to hit the, and fk me im glad i did!

these are freeeeeekin enormous!,,,!

my go to easy mb set are the srixon 945 they are just a simple joy to hit, feel is unreal butter soft(even with the dgs200tourissue design tuning hsfats) and control is optimised. Not a load of bendability in these  puppies, its just a tiny bit of cut or a tiny bit of draw at best!

The v sole on them really makes a god impact  possible and the drive into the ball for a lower more controleed flight . Love these heads, any way the prgrs are about as similar to these as the 945 are to. Miuraism sb01!

huge  round broad sole , thickest top line iver ever seen off set a ways, long face everything i dislike. About an  iron and rhen some. Was hoping to hit 4/5 balls and throw them away in disgust...........................

dgs200 shafts, rain wind and3degc temp at night with range rox,  these were going to be horrible and then some.......

boy how wrong can i be, these are the wrongest clubs ever and icant wait to get a set.

Impact iis..wait for it...........

miles better

miles better than

everything, not anything.....

everything ive ever hit,. Fk me, i was blown off the face of the earth.

they feel like they are hollow , air filled heads, theres something i just cant put my finger on, i hit over 100 balls with them so i got a prettygood idea , and iwas goingintandem with the945s the 945s are a magnificent feel ,forged dense peefection but the prgrs are totaly different, the only detractor if this is one is they  feel the same ll over the club face even when i didnt middle it it still felt pure, that... im not ok with if i miss i want to know where i missed , and a comapct blade tells you that better than everything.

Makes for improvement as well.

theey are for hitting gteens not pin seekers, i had the most beautiful baby draw going last night  but i never felt like i was aimingst the pin , more over i eas grtting on the green nad hoping to be close.. there is a difference. The 945s  until now. Were what i consudeee my get on clubs dont worry about. Accuarcy, they are wy , if im leading the masters last day by8 shots, ill take these out snd just be kimds there or there abouts, the prgrs blew these outta thewater for that role!

cudnt cut these tho, thats where they fell over for me , they are point shoot  with magnificent feel.

consisatnt like no other. Summer lush  or rainy days , oh mu god these wud be all time, they wil not replace my blades for working around  tight small  postage stamp size greens on traditional style courses, but for the modern courses whete the greens sre as big as  suburbs..... then id not be surprised if hitting18/18  wasnt an irregular thing, better be s good putter tho bec they are not for dialing in quite like blades are.

the pw was good, i rate a set of clubs by its pw, the scoringest iron  in the set. This one  was surprisingly good. Again not a pin seekwr , but good enough to give u a look more often that not.

can get a bit funky with it but its really a point shoot  irons but it does look like it belongs.

hard to say which one i prefered, the impsct of. The prgr was just awe... but the better tight  control of the srixons  and their abilty to get closer had me thinking once the initial attraction of the feel subsided....(actually thats crap the  awesomeness of the prgrs feel never subsided.. i just had to justify a non biased thouhgt), anyway the srixons have been usupred for easy mbs IF just getting. A good impact is ur thing, idoubt id play thrse in comp unless i was holding s big lead or. I was scouting for points in stsbleford in the rain on big greens.  But id bag a set in aheartbeat , if ur after a set of ... seriously i dunno what to call these bec the yaint blades.. but s sdtof muscle back looking. Irons that are forgiveable...put these in yr thoughts as much as the srixons and epon af tours.

ill grab a set later this year when it gets .....moist!

20170108_165258.jpg

20170108_165238.jpg

20170108_165211.jpg

20170108_165220.jpg

Edited by supo

Wow - Great topic that could go on for a long time with all the options out there.

Just to mention a few...

Buchi

Itobori

Crazy

Modart

Seven Proto

Cheers,

TK3

yup ,that's why  I started it..~!
 buchi I cant say  much on them  bec ive not gamed them yet obv ive hit them but not enough to post . I need the set to play!

crazy ive had and gamed.

seven protos ive had and gamed, loved those , tiny little things, same as the shinagawa grind mirai. close but not identical. both   are excellent.

yonex ezones never any dialogue on those either.

What is your opinion on the Ezone mb? I have a set with Crazy tour targets. Never hit them though but next season I'll give them a go. They look great!

On 1/8/2017 at 5:36 PM, supo said:

Prgr  rs forged....... i dunno what to call these but they are not blades. Muscle back maybe.. cavity muscle maybe, i dunno these nothing out there anything like these, once agaian prgr have  blown normality out the window.,  ihated the look of them but like all prgr irons i have to hit the, and fk me im glad i did!

these are freeeeeekin enormous!,,,!

my go to easy mb set are the srixon 945 they are just a simple joy to hit, feel is unreal butter soft(even with the dgs200tourissue design tuning hsfats) and control is optimised. Not a load of bendability in these  puppies, its just a tiny bit of cut or a tiny bit of draw at best!

The v sole on them really makes a god impact  possible and the drive into the ball for a lower more controleed flight . Love these heads, any way the prgrs are about as similar to these as the 945 are to. Miuraism sb01!

huge  round broad sole , thickest top line iver ever seen off set a ways, long face everything i dislike. About an  iron and rhen some. Was hoping to hit 4/5 balls and throw them away in disgust...........................

dgs200 shafts, rain wind and3degc temp at night with range rox,  these were going to be horrible and then some.......

boy how wrong can i be, these are the wrongest clubs ever and icant wait to get a set.

Impact iis..wait for it...........

miles better

miles better than

everything, not anything.....

everything ive ever hit,. Fk me, i was blown off the face of the earth.

they feel like they are hollow , air filled heads, theres something i just cant put my finger on, i hit over 100 balls with them so i got a prettygood idea , and iwas goingintandem with the945s the 945s are a magnificent feel ,forged dense peefection but the prgrs are totaly different, the only detractor if this is one is they  feel the same ll over the club face even when i didnt middle it it still felt pure, that... im not ok with if i miss i want to know where i missed , and a comapct blade tells you that better than everything.

Makes for improvement as well.

theey are for hitting gteens not pin seekers, i had the most beautiful baby draw going last night  but i never felt like i was aimingst the pin , more over i eas grtting on the green nad hoping to be close.. there is a difference. The 945s  until now. Were what i consudeee my get on clubs dont worry about. Accuarcy, they are wy , if im leading the masters last day by8 shots, ill take these out snd just be kimds there or there abouts, the prgrs blew these outta thewater for that role!

cudnt cut these tho, thats where they fell over for me , they are point shoot  with magnificent feel.

consisatnt like no other. Summer lush  or rainy days , oh mu god these wud be all time, they wil not replace my blades for working around  tight small  postage stamp size greens on traditional style courses, but for the modern courses whete the greens sre as big as  suburbs..... then id not be surprised if hitting18/18  wasnt an irregular thing, better be s good putter tho bec they are not for dialing in quite like blades are.

the pw was good, i rate a set of clubs by its pw, the scoringest iron  in the set. This one  was surprisingly good. Again not a pin seekwr , but good enough to give u a look more often that not.

can get a bit funky with it but its really a point shoot  irons but it does look like it belongs.

hard to say which one i prefered, the impsct of. The prgr was just awe... but the better tight  control of the srixons  and their abilty to get closer had me thinking once the initial attraction of the feel subsided....(actually thats crap the  awesomeness of the prgrs feel never subsided.. i just had to justify a non biased thouhgt), anyway the srixons have been usupred for easy mbs IF just getting. A good impact is ur thing, idoubt id play thrse in comp unless i was holding s big lead or. I was scouting for points in stsbleford in the rain on big greens.  But id bag a set in aheartbeat , if ur after a set of ... seriously i dunno what to call these bec the yaint blades.. but s sdtof muscle back looking. Irons that are forgiveable...put these in yr thoughts as much as the srixons and epon af tours.

ill grab a set later this year when it gets .....moist!

20170108_165258.jpg

20170108_165238.jpg

20170108_165211.jpg

20170108_165220.jpg

Hey bud, nice write up! How would you compare these to the iD-BLs?

ahh doc , long time  fella happy new year!  .

well Im still really biased   to the idbls as everyione knows, nothing in my book holds a candle to them ,  these are  well kinda not like the idble they are much bigger for a start and a lot more offset. thye are really unlike anythingelse ive hit.

id never oust the idbls for these that's for sure. totally different design and sole /turfinteraction. the idbls actually aren't as suited on the lush stuff as say the tr500s are or the nabla ids... but when its hot fast, nothing compares.

Thanks! Miss ya bud. Gonna plan another trip to Japan so we'll have to coordinate.

I really like the look and tech of the RS but I didn't realize they were that big. I took the iD-BLs out today because I hadn't played in 6 weeks (first round since before Thanksgiving) and those things are just amazing. Felt uncomfortable with my swing all day and they kept me close enough to stay 1 over. I'm thinking these RS irons could be even better for those kind of rounds. Hmmm............

yea they definitely wud!

the idbls are for all intents and purposes a big blade.

these are  a HUGE  I-dunno-what!!!!

it uwd be tough to go form a yonex ezone to these that's for sure .. the size and shape difference is so big.

I think if u play an aggressive set of cavities   or the idls and want a set for  comfort purposes then these wud fit the  bill, but I don't htnk having these as an alt to a set of baqby blasdes is such a great idea, the size diffenece wud throw u too much  ithink

Maybe they won't work then. My gamers are still the Flatbacks and if I play the iD-BLs right after it takes a psychiatrist to get my mind to accept them!

• 1 month later...

I recently tried the OnOff Labospec - great irons, but were a little too big for my eye.

Currently playing the Titleist Japan 2016 VG3 irons and couldn't be happier.  Definitely worth trying if you ever get a chance.

i've been hitting Kyoei forged s20c KZG Forged Blades for a while now, even bought multiple sets, and even though it's a pretty old model i haven't tried ANY other iron, let alone just mb, that i've liked even half as much. gennerally the other mb's i've liked the most have also been s20c forged; these heads are mostly small-size, sharp to semi-sharp angles, thin topline, minimal offset, and i very much prefer the feel/control/feedback of forged s20c to anything else i've come across. keeping this in mind, the iron models i'm current most interested in are the following:

-CGS Orion Himeji x Tsubame 

-Mystery MC-10 Type 1

-Epon AF-Tour MB 

(very much like the look of the Epon P2's and gave them serious consideration but they're a smidge larger than i'd like and have in my opinion a bit too much offset) 

other mb irons i've been intereted in (forged s25c, ect): 

-Buchi 2014 MB

-Three Luck Muscle Back 

-Crazy MB

-Honma TW727M or 717M

-Modart Suda Blade (oddly never hear any mentions of these)

-Masda Fast Muscle 

-Royal Collection ProZX

-Any SEVEN mb/blade

-2015 Yamaha TourModel MB

some older mb's that i'd also love to get my hands on:

-Yonex Ti-Hybrid Forged MB 

-2013 Tourstage X-Blade 905 Forged MB

-OnOff LaboSpec CB358 Forged

-2013 PRGR iD nable Tour Forged 

8 hours ago, gregoire56 said:

i've been hitting Kyoei forged s20c KZG Forged Blades for a while now, even bought multiple sets, and even though it's a pretty old model i haven't tried ANY other iron, let alone just mb, that i've liked even half as much. gennerally the other mb's i've liked the most have also been s20c forged; these heads are mostly small-size, sharp to semi-sharp angles, thin topline, minimal offset, and i very much prefer the feel/control/feedback of forged s20c to anything else i've come across. keeping this in mind, the iron models i'm current most interested in are the following:

-CGS Orion Himeji x Tsubame 

-Mystery MC-10 Type 1

-Epon AF-Tour MB 

(very much like the look of the Epon P2's and gave them serious consideration but they're a smidge larger than i'd like and have in my opinion a bit too much offset) 

other mb irons i've been intereted in (forged s25c, ect): 

-Buchi 2014 MB

-Three Luck Muscle Back 

-Crazy MB

-Honma TW727M or 717M

-Modart Suda Blade (oddly never hear any mentions of these)

-Masda Fast Muscle 

-Royal Collection ProZX

-Any SEVEN mb/blade

-2015 Yamaha TourModel MB

some older mb's that i'd also love to get my hands on:

-Yonex Ti-Hybrid Forged MB 

-2013 Tourstage X-Blade 905 Forged MB

-OnOff LaboSpec CB358 Forged

-2013 PRGR iD nable Tour Forged 

KZG has not been made at Kyoei for years.

Kyoei doesn't even offer S20C they do S25C.

2 hours ago, TourSpecGolfer said:

KZG has not been made at Kyoei for years.

Kyoei doesn't even offer S20C they do S25C.

my KZG iron heads were all made by Kyoei in 2006, but i know its been several years since they've been done there. they don't even offer this model anymore even though the picture is at the top of their website main page. mine are verified Kyoei cerca '06, came in Kyoei factory bags w weight hand written and everything. 

now, i do know Kyoei doesn't do any other s20c, but according to http://www.kzgolf.com/layout9.asp?id=588&page=31393&sid=748 which is the old webpage from KZG site that's what they claim these were made from and that's from back when they were made there. i also have some #3-5 irons of the old CB-II model which was the cb match for those heads (only other KZG head made of s20c, same lofts) http://www.kzgolf.com/-cavity-back-ii-old on the page for these KZG even mentions their double-forged in Japan