blade choices of recent times ............

supo

06 is indeed Kyoei made.

Just my opinion but I dont think KZG is being straight up about the S20C.

Not that it matters,  S25C is the same thing.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TourSpecGolfer said:

06 is indeed Kyoei made.

Just my opinion but I dont think KZG is being straight up about the S20C.

Not that it matters,  S25C is the same thing.

i actually thought the same thing when i first got into KZG.. about a year ago i wound up with a bunch of single irons of different old forged models of theirs from when they were still made at Kyoei. i spent a lot of time demoing them cuz i was surprised right away how much i liked just about all of them, and i already knew i could acquire a brand new full-set of some of the old Kyoei forged heads for a really good price if i wanted to. the ones i liked the most were the ZO Blades, Tour Evolution's, and Forged Blades, and i wound up buying a set of the Forged Blades cuz i loved them and thought they felt so unique from other mb's i had hit before. KZG only ever portrayed two of their iron models as being made of forged s20c on their website, and they were the Forged Blades and CB-II's. these two models are also the only ones that have the most traditional and weakest lofts (both 48* PW). all of their other forged irons were listed as being made of s25c which is obviously consistent with Kyoei practice, and once they stopped using Kyoei they've since been listing their models as 1025 carbon steel. all other models also have stronger lofts. 

so it's absolutely possible that those two models were either mislabeled on the KZG website or they were straight up lying about the materials, but since they've been so consistent with correctly labeling every other model i can't say for sure. i'm further reinforced to think that they actually may be s20c since i've tried other KZG irons that i know are s25c and i can say with certainty that the Forged Blades and CB-II's have a feeling that is very unique and different from the other models; the Forged Blades are noticeably softer and more forgiving for their size than KZG's other mb's which are much larger, and same with the CB's. 

i clearly can't say for certain one way or the other, but my gut feeling is that they actually are s20c just cuz of how different they feel from every other Kyoei forged s25c iron or wedge i've ever hit. i also used to have VEGA mb's which had a drastically different feeling from these. of course my gut feeling could very easily be mistaken, so who knows

• 1 month later...

Buchi vs200

oh brother , these are blades .finally got around to grabing  a set from a wonderfull fellow member  and finally got around to shafting one up and finally got to the range for just the3rd time since november. Changed back to interlocking irons  with a semi decent amount of success.

only 5shanks today. Result!!

lets just say the power is way way down ,  the theatrics of trying to zing balls willy nilly both ways is a long way off but the accuracy wasnt  so bad really. 

Took a heap of 6 irons to test out with the buchi and im over the moon to report that this is absolutely right at the top of my preferences.

took a big chance  on a set of syb 120s protos, absolutely made for each other .

Perfect  match.

had my masda mbs miuraism sb01 honma mbs tourstage maru mb  so it was in esteemed company.

wasnt a matter of held its own so much as is this in fact nicer?

suffice to say the set will be done and a new alternative to NS has been found.

oh and as categorising them as cbs is utter folly , they about  cb esque as  a set or srixon 945 s , in fact  i had one there as well and it looked more cb than the buchi.

to go with my buchi putter , i think ill have to grab the v200 wedges 

Buchi, yup im now a big doctor suess fan!

• 8 months later...

pack em up pack em in let me begin

THESE.... are the  nicest set of mizzies ive seen ,the  PW  is delightfull

almost no offset at all

mid/small  size , semi thick.......PURE blade

cant resist goin in HARD.

20171213_115128.jpg

20171213_115136.jpg

Edited by supo

Found my MP4 and Taylormade P730 to look and feel better then the usdm version of those Mizunos. 

These Mizuno Pro 118  have copper under lay and these are only sold thru Mizuno Pro fitters shops in Japan.

It's their "in shop only" sales method that they started this year.    Thus, they do not produce them for off the rack retail.

Global retail model is MP -18 and I do not believe those have copper under lay.   

cheers nobs. as I said , never seen them previous.

absolutely delicious set of bats, s400s in them  and double thick   golf pride multi compound grips so the owner is obviously a beast master.

• 1 year later...

Ran into a cpl of sets of newer  newish  MB  model  recently that need some simple honest  dialogue.......... from a blade lover, I cannoned all  cbs and am playing  mb only so...... I have skin in the game

muziik...........honma............epon.....mizuno mp05

hmmmmmmmmm......

the designers of mbs have gone in very  different tacks  recently it seems none of these are remotely alike!

HONMA :   are a Mb verision  of the latest cb model line ,  same score lines on the back, same squareish  head shape.  but with a thinner top line this time  and as always with honma MB , a  nice compact  body , this time they are a bit more  blocky" looking  to my eye with the typical  not-a-lot-of  offset ,which I LOVE   , thats  pretty much  standard with  honma. ,  they also  went  with a pretty  ginormous deviation   from their previous models   shape wise , which were rounded  smooth and clean lined with  a bit  thicker top line  , I guess they wanted a new look for  Justin rose or that's the shape he likes  , maybe ????...,

anyway  I guess im   just a little bit disappointed by these   but  I totally   GET WHY THEY DIDNT DO ANOTHER  similar style  to their last models ,  im  just not  excited  by these   new ones.....  sorry but   I just cant see why  youd  buy these over the older model, unless of course folks want the latest and (pretty much never)  the greatest ........... IMO still  if u want a  mini blocky set of MB get a set of miuraisms and forget any other club  ever again !!!!   but then again thse are 1/4 the price so well there is that..........................

caveat, i not hit  them and will prob only do at a range. im about shape  more than anything else bec  here pretty much no such thing as a BAD jdm  forged iron !  ofr my mind the older 2 models are a nicer look .

EPON af tour  new (ish) model

good lord .....................what the FK happened here?????????

picked these up ( for 1 second_)  and said who the fk designed these and for what purpose??

they rounded  and shrunk the original model and seems like quadrupeld the offset in them. they simply don't work!!!!!!!!!!!

these are  nasty horrible looking things AS FAR AS AN EPON CAN LOOK.... and  I love epon, but whoever did these totally stacked an opportunity to make a competitive, stylish, expensive  MB for the US mkt  oh I  presume these were aimed there ??????..............................

I don't wanna go into any more on these im still I shock by the butcher job they did on THE best easy to play Mb iron set of alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll time the original af-tour.

im gutted........absolutely gutted by what CUDA/SHUDDA/WUDDA been a kille set of new mbs ,, honeslty they  totally stacked it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MUZIIK mb

now THESE are interesting........... they are BIG chunky and falcoursome, they are NOT blades, no way they are MBS and a big punchy set at that. they look great.. nice score lines  with satin muscle. a topline semi thick,and offset that doesn't disturb them too much.

yea id game these  I wudnt buy  them over a few others but yes I cud and  wud game them for sure they are in the origina af tour line of MBs bit easier, bit larger, and id imagine a delightfull impact.

mizuno mp5................. GETTING A SET end of chat , blew the  rest away , PW is a thing of beauty not seen a better one.

rounded sole, no offset,  HIGH thicker topline frames the ball beautifully. IF theres a detractor its they are too soft and distance  might not  be quite as long as ud expect,

bwahahahhahahahahahahaha.  im in , alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll  in.

Edited by supo

Good to see someone is still continuing with their MB mission in life!!!    I've not touched a new set of MBs since I got the Shinagawa MBs.    Even those are occasional play only.

After my County Am tournament experience, I decided to go pursue something much more forgiving than the Miura CB-1008.  It'll still be forged Carbon steel.  Just not anything that is compact or has too thin of a sole.   🙂.   

Those MBs are made of 99.3% Pure Steel.    They got to be super soft feeling? 

13 hours ago, nobmontana said:

Those MBs are made of 99.3% Pure Steel.    They got to be super soft feeling? 

I think so.  I've only got around to hitting the 7i a few times and they are very miura esque.  To me Miura is pretty soft, but I don't have experience with Epon etc which I understand are crazy soft.