Easiest Driver, Fairway Wood and Hybrid to hit straight, period.

Mjr. D

Time to get realistic and put a new driver, fairway wood and hybrid in the bag.

Irons I can hit straight all day but woods not so much. I need each of these clubs to be as easy to hit straight as possible. Not sure if the term "forgiving" means point and shoot straight or good distance on mis hits but I need the former.

I use ultra low launch and spin shafts and typically an 8.5* head so I'm not too worried about a low spin/launch head as the loft and shaft should take care of that. My miss is typically a hook.

What are your guys picks for the straightest J-spec driver, fairway wood and hybrid available today?

Appreciate the help!

How's the distance with the Honma compared to a wood hybrid?

Its about 5-10 yards shorter. Then again, the wood hybrids have longer shafts and are usually 1 - 2 degrees stronger (my driving iron is 21 degrees).

Overall due to much better dispersion I think I'm still ahead using the 3 iron. I'm almost always on the fairway using these, which says alot because I'm quite often out of bounds with the hybrid!

JBeam Blackout 435 is the straightest driver I've ever hit. The milling on the face seems to reduce spin enough to make it so.

Ryoma for the 3 of them ... I wont regret!

JBeam Blackout 435 is the straightest driver I've ever hit. The milling on the face seems to reduce spin enough to make it so.

Is the blackout a minor upgrade to the regular 435 or significant? My only issues with the 435 is that the sweet spot seems small and the feel outside of that sweet spot is average at best.

My Ryoma is much higher spinning than my 435; 2700rpm vs. 2200rpm, but on the course, it is much more playable. I think we all get a little too obsessed with getting the lowest spin combo possible, and what we give up to achieve that, isn't necessarily worth the 10 yards. Just my opinion.

Really can't answer that, Mob. I've never hit the reg 435. And I'm a feel guy, not a numbers guy. All I know is the Blackout is a bomber that flies long and straight, and I believe the milling on the face gives me a feel right up to my hands that I haven't experienced with a driver before.

Ryoma V1 D-Spec has been the straightest for me...and right up there on distance and feel.

my most recent experiment is a syard t.388 playing short at just shy of 44" with a stinger. this thing is dead straight for me and surprisingly impressive on distance even with the shorter length. I am in more control on every hole I use it and have found my fairways hit % up over the last 2 Rounds. the head itself is hot off the face and for sure forgiving, but may not be ryoma-forgiving

Interesting 435 Black Out is that straight... it's definitely low spin and long so this may be a good choice. Has anyone hit the PRGR Nabla? That thing sounds high tech.

So for a driver it sounds like Ryoma, Glorie, and 435 Black Out and T388

Fairway - Ryoma F3, Egg Spoon, VG3

Hybrid - Egg Spoon, VG3

Anyone else?

The T388 is definitely in the mix -- I thought you had hit that. With it you're talking screaming line drives, straight as a missile, huge roll out. And the XV fwy woods are mini-T388's. Same penetrating monster line drives.

For me, the Blackout has a higher launch, which gives me that option, too, depending on wind, etc. And it's the first thing that has even budged me away from the T388...

Is Ryoma f3 a good option for use off the tee and deck?

I've just seen pics, appears shallow faced, yet it is 215cc

great off the tee, perfect for me. off the deck is good too if it's in the short stuff but because of its size and square face, I can't get great contact if it's in that first cut or longer (for me that is) Edited by needmoregolf

Mr D

I had the Gloire driver and I thought it was a little mushy at compact. The D1 is just awesome.

FW you can't go wrong with the F series from Ryoma the Glorious looks good as well.

Hybrids the Egg is easy and straight the Ryoma UT is great but hasn't worked for everyone, I found it easy to hook.

The Homna DI is just fantastic, long and straight.

Hope that helps

i second akapur's comments on the hybrid. it took a few sessions to get my grip right for the club, and once i got it gripped properly, its worked well. first couple of times it was unpredictable

• 2 weeks later...

Just a question. You play a low lofted driver. Which conventional wisdom says is more apt to generate side spin. Since you're looking for straighter, have you considered more loft?