Switching shafts for Honma TW717 455

bankbank

Hi fellow TSG'ers

i currently use a honma tw717 455 9.5* driver with a vizard shaft. Although the distance and launch angle measured were fine, the dispersion and weight of the shaft could be better. The current shaft weight is 57 grams, which is a bit on the lighter side for me.

The question is this: one of my friends remarked that shaft changing a honma driver is not advisable. What is the truth to this?

My SS is around 102-106, with pretty average 150mph ball speeds, 14 deg launch and 2600-2700 rpm of spin. Want to get a tighter dispersion shaft with a bit more weight. That's why I was looking to get fitted for a new shaft.. but wanted your feedbacks on the validity of the above, and/or any recommendations.

Thanks and happy ho'ing!

Seems like every top player on the PGA Tour right now is using the Mitsubishi Kuro Kage XT. That and the Aldila Rogue. Other options would be Diamana X, I'm a big fan of Quada Fire Express shafts, I had a Attas 5 GoGo and it was very stable and long too. Endless options out there... basically comes down to specs, how much you want to pay, large company or boutique and feedback from members/tour players. Good luck!

Thanks, the shafts you mentioned are nice. Price point, not an issue. I just don't know if changing out the shaft on the honma driver will have a negative impact on the clubhead... don't have much knowledge on clubfitting. I tend to use pretty standard stuff.

The quadra sounds interesting, been reading up on it a bit. I think the rogues, diamana x and kurokage are too 'big' for my SS. I hit a diamana x once, didnt like it.

102-106 u shud have no issue with the diamana X in 60 0r 70 s shud be fine.

unlesss theres something weird like what onoff used to do with thier hosel clamps on thier drivers, i cant see why a new shaft in the head wont improve it.

When I hear price is not an issue I usually recommend Seven Dreamers as the fitting process nails it and takes the guess work out of it.

well... it starts to be an issue with the wife when a haute couture starts at 1800 USD :)

give her a scale of relativity she can relate to better...you're getting the best and most custom shaft money can buy, whereas that only buys a medium grade LV purse, so, you're getting a steal!! ;)

@ needmoregolf, definitely your logic is very correct!! The LV bag i got her exceeds $1800 by miles.

@ Chris, not so used to buying shafts that expensive.. most expensive one was a roddio half a decade ago. But for sure you have my attention. If I am visiting JPN in the near future, would definitely consider to get fitted on location :)

i definitely love the head shape of the TW717, so i dont want to change that. Just want a shaft change to get the most out of my swing..

I think your TW717 is also available with the Armrq shaft, which is a much better (and more expensive) shaft than the Vizard.

Here in Europe, all Honmas are sold with the Armrq and not the Vizard.

i tried the armrq8.. not my favorite though. When i bought it, trackman showed much better numbers with the vizard.

the heaviest one 62 grams i think. I dont know, i wanted to like it, but somehow it didnt give me the control. Oh, its the 3-star one.

im looking to get fitted for a new shaft. Looking at the diamana b60x an the quadda wbq.

If you can find one, get a Kuro Kage Proto Tini. Great shaft. Maybe the XT is this years retail version.

If you're in the Far East, try a Muziik Bangvoo 787.

Definitely try one of the Diamana Stingers if you can find one and if you don't mind a used shaft.

By the way, my SS is in the same ball park and I also preferred the TW 455 over the other 2. Good choice.

I agree with Jason with Bangvoo 787. That's my next shaft if budget allows and when comparing it to the 7 dreamers you could call a mid range priced shaft lol.

Otherwise I am a big fan of the original Quadra FE in the 65sx my swing speed is around yours too. I had the Quadra Max Mbq both on 65sx and 65x. It seemed to launch higher and spin more than the original techno. What I like about the Quadra is seems to allow to operate it at a wider speed band. So either on your off days or on days it will still work a beautiful. I also use Trpx Xline sx. The about 67g but you better be swinging it well on the day as it doesn't respond well days when your swing it off.

Cheers

• 7 years later...

Unfortunately, Honma tech support is proprietary, and their authorized sales/repair locations are not available to many golfers in the USA. Further, they refuse the courtesy of sharing product information with independent repair shops in the States.  Try looking up one of their authorized dealers in the USA.  Be sure to ask if a Honma-certified tech is employed on site or if your repair might be shipped to another location. Hope to get help by Christmas. Lol.

RC at CCCGOLFUSA, LLC. Nashville 

9 hours ago, Rod_CCCGOLFUSA said:

Unfortunately, Honma tech support is proprietary, and their authorized sales/repair locations are not available to many golfers in the USA. Further, they refuse the courtesy of sharing product information with independent repair shops in the States.  Try looking up one of their authorized dealers in the USA.  Be sure to ask if a Honma-certified tech is employed on site or if your repair might be shipped to another location. Hope to get help by Christmas. Lol.

RC at CCCGOLFUSA, LLC. Nashville 

You replied to a 7 year old post..