Honma TW727 460 Driver Impressions

TW727 460 Driver - Naturally the most forgiving model in the line Honma has designed it around straight and higher launching shots with mid spin. So figure mid spin/higher launch, It features a lower and further back center of gravity compared to the other Honma TW727 drivers, it's got a shallow back which stabilizes spin for a tighter dispersion the MOI is also higher than the smaller four heads as well.

I will be posting brief impressions on all of Honma's new products over the coming weeks.

XF5A7123-Edit-Edit.jpg

So first thing to note is that each of the TW727 series drivers are unique from each other, each shape and shape and weight location is different they are not simply the same driver in different sizes. As you can see in the above photo it's still a fairly deep face but the 460 extends further heel to toe than the others it also tapers quickly near the sole making it the most shallow of the bunch.

This was evident in our testing where compared against the others ( 430/455/455S ) it had the higher launch, the feel was slightly more hallow but the more rounded shape and the size made you feel like you could swing harder. Just remember harder hitters who have swings that produce more swing should look at some of the lower spin versions, while the TW727 460 is the biggest remember it's still a Tour World Product, this is by no means for high handicappers although they could use it, it's still for Tour World type player which is what Honma would consider athlete, If you look on the JPGA tour many females and senior players have the 460 on Tour.

XF5A7134-Edit.jpg

The face is square but our players who are excellent a couple of them are golf pro's (instructors) felt there was indeed a draw bias and while it's not mentioned in any descriptions I believed that true myself because of the heel weight and on the topics of weight you will notice this 460 has the weight furthest back of all the models which tells you a lot about how it will play, higher, more MOI and more forgiving.

XF5A7141-Edit.jpg

So for the tech, I've explained it before these are made by Endo then completed at Honma's amazing Sakata Studio where via TSG we can also offer face angle, lie, and even matte black finish adjustments but bottom line is that it's new manufacturing process in the 455/455S/460 has improved significantly with Honma's proprietary process called W-Forged, The goal was to make a firmer face feel very soft and they did this through variable face thickness and a new forging method which in the end has a tighter material fiber across the face so the face is stronger, the sweet spot is larger and it feels more pure at impact.

XF5A7835-Edit.jpg

So after 2 rounds and 3 range sessions all of us walked away with similar feedback, It's definitely quality, it feels really good, the spin isn't too much it's mid range and the launch is high, for a smooth powerful swing it should do the trick very well. Distance depends on the player and conditions of course but for me it's as long as anything out there, the sound is slightly hollow but the face vibrates very nicely, all around an easy choice for a good player with a less aggressive tempo. I could easily play this one in a heartbeat and it would help my score BUT I'm not a smooth swinger so I think one of the others could do my game better.

XF5A7824-Edit.jpg

Maaan! that is one good looking driver!

I am really digging the current trend of forgiving 460cc JDM drivers which are more athlete oriented!

I am going to be in deep trouble if I don't tighten my wallet! :)

TW717 is made of totally different materials, doesn't look like Endo made that one.

Endo made the 717 455, didn't they?

How do the Vizard shafts stack up against the ARMRQ8 3 stars ($150 upcharge), and in turn how are they both compared to say the Tour AD line?

I'm assuming the $900 upcharge 4 star shafts are equivalent in quality to the 80t Diamana X, Basileus, Quadra and Crazy lines.

Edited by Icestorm959

How do the Vizard shafts stack up against the ARMRQ8 3 stars ($150 upcharge), and in turn how are they both compared to say the Tour AD line?

I'm assuming the $900 upcharge 4 star shafts are equivalent in quality to the 80t Diamana X, Basileus, Quadra and Crazy lines.

Good Question. I'm wondering the same thing

ARMRQ8 is an eight-axis carbon fabric to resist stress in the direction of torsion. This yields improved torsion stiffness and improved directionality at the point of impact and has made it possible to develop shafts that resist wobbling.

So it's 2 more 45* weaves than ARMRQ6 was, the more you go up in star ratings for honma the materials improve also the options on the head become custom. So in theory 3 star has more directional stability than 2 and 4 more than 3.

How was your abilty to shape the ball with this club? specifically a cut/fade

The Ping G30 SF tec has a similar heel weight that turns a draw into a 70 yard hook, and a slice in a straight pull.

So today I played a full round with the 460 again with the YA55 in Regular flex, I'm usually a stiff flex player and use heavier shafts but surprisingly the ball went very straight.

It's a little warmer now the feel off the face is nice, it's semi soft, not loud at all, just a little crunch to it but not much. This driver is not very workable imo. It also seems draw bias to me.

Of course you can hit cuts or fades with it but do keep in mind off the 727 series drivers this has the highest moi and furthest back and low CG making it less workable by design.

Depending on how workable you want you would sellect the model, been playing a lot of golf, hitting a lot of Honma gear lately, it's all very good.