Driver heads & distance

chuck4golf

I read various posts here that imply hard or softer materials contribute to ball speed. I was generally under the impression that the rebound (used to be measured as 'COR' but there is a new metric that I forget) was pretty much maxed out on all companies' heads and that any distance gain was fundamentally about fit of the club to the swing - head design, loft, shaft, etc.

But this group of posters here, who are very experienced equipment ho's, lead me to think there may be differences beyond fit .. that materials, design and so on can matter, and that there may be a trade off between forgiveness and distance when balls are struck in the sweet spot.

What do you think? Are distance differences all about fit, or are there real tradeoffs among heads?

Edited by chuck4golf

CG placement within the head will impact distance depending on each player's impact conditions, even if the COR/CT is the same. Also all drivers may be max COR in center of the face but depending on driver design the max COR area of the face will be a lot different. So it really is just down to whatever works best for a given player.

Edited by Fore Left!

I would agree with you from all I have learned, but then I have also recently read a few posts here from people who know their stuff that made me wonder if, on a ball struck in the sweet spot, things like materials and size also play a real role in ball speed (with everything else being equal). Even if this would be true, I think the right fit would be the more influential factor. Eg, what role does face hardness and size play (again, on a ball hit on the sweet spot.)?

I agree

The technology is pretty maxed out, and the rules have made it a very even playing field.

I doubt we will see any big changes, distance wise attributed to the heads.

I also believe that some heads are just longer then others. Take the Crazy 435.

Its been out for a while now, but still rates right up there distance wise.

Other heads, made with the same material, just dont go as far. For me anyway. I just wish I could hit enough fairways with it.

Its also true that each player is different. As they say, " one mans trash is another mans treasure"

Craig, your point about the 435.... that's the question. The t.388 is another candidate. Some have said Epons with their soft face are shorter. Just makes me wonder - is there a real tradeoff between forgiveness and distance for a ball hit in the sweet spot (and if so, does it only figure in at higher swing speeds?).

Of course, I could just admit that in the end I buy the club that is the sexiest and then just manufacture the rationale later.

They already make drivers that are a lot longer. They just don't conform to the USGA/R&A rules. What's so annoying about Taylormade releasing a new driver every 6 months. What's the point? They might as well space things out. Recent rule changes regarding clubs has only gotten more strick over the last 5 years.

I have an 8 year old driver. I recently tried the titleist D2. one is a pro driver the other is more game improvement. The longest drive with each were exactly the same. 292yards. One carried further, the other had more roll out. The game improvement club was about 15 yards less offline.

So, for me - old and new max out the same. The D2 had a longer average, by 8 yards.

I have been thinking about this as carefully as I know how. Some companies get reputations for distance. Most of this is based on design approach - size, COG, etc. Some heads are more demanding, but seem to deliver longer drives when hit well. So fit remains the key element.

What I have mainly concluded is I belong to a demographic that isn't very large. I have a reasonable swing, make a decent pass at the ball, but am not generating a lot of speed. 63 yrs old, not real flexible, pretty short. Most companies see a strong correlation between speed and skill. Heads for slower speeds are typically solving several other issues, too. "If slow speed, your swing is all over the place, you need help to not slice, etc" is the working assumption.

So what's the optimal design for a guy like me who will find the center of the face a lot but without a ton of speed? I think it's mid to low launch, with mid spin, but with some loft. My current Wishon is 9* but I hit 80% of the balls too high with too much spin with this very deep COG//hgih MOI, and I think a driver that produces a more boring flight with 11* of loft is a better fit.

So I conclude the difference is indeed not in the face, per se, but in the overall design and fit to the swing. But drivers have 'performance character' and those that produce more penetrating ball flight do so with the tradeoff of being less forgiving. Good swings are well rewarded, but poor swings will bite your scorecard.

Like with most of life, everything has a tradeoff.

Edited by chuck4golf

I have been thinking about this as carefully as I know how. Some companies get reputations for distance. Most of this is based on design approach - size, COG, etc. Some heads are more demanding, but seem to deliver longer drives when hit well. So fit remains the key element.

What I have mainly concluded is I belong to a demographic that isn't very large. I have a reasonable swing, make a decent pass at the ball, but am not generating a lot of speed. 63 yrs old, not real flexible, pretty short. Most companies see a strong correlation between speed and skill. Heads for slower speeds are typically solving several other issues, too. "If slow speed, your swing is all over the place, you need help to not slice, etc" is the working assumption.

"Special Tuning" was made for people like you.

Edited by Icestorm959

Except I play some tournaments ... cheating will get you tarred and feathered.

Use a distance golf ball. If your swing is a lot slower then maybe a lower compression ball would fit you well.

Chuck, if you consider yourself to be a good striker of the ball, but lack SS, maybe you can grab a hold of a playeresque driver in a higher loft. That way you can take advantage of hotter materials and head designs, while getting the launch you need b/c of the mortal swing speed and flexibility issues. Then fit the appropriate shaft that feels good, offers reasonable launch, and offers decent roll. There are so many phenomenal options out there now, I doubt you'll have too much trouble maxing out your potential distance.

And I do agree with the fact that much has to do with the right fit. Like Craig the wise said....my trash could be your treasure and vice versa.

Edited by Shankopotamus