Game Improvement Irons

james13

22 handicapper that putts and drives well looking to improve weakest part of game. Never been real consistent with irons so thinking of ditching the forged and going a different route. At age of 55 I am losing some distance, about 140 yards with standard loft 7 iron with Dynamic Golds. I seem to need heavy shafts for any consistency. Feel is important and US cast feels really strange to me.

Looking at Labospec 247, Yamaha Maraging, PHYZ III, or Mizuno JPX EIII. Or, is something like VG3 or Yamaha forged worth a last forged shot.

i appreciate your suggestions.

Those you have mentioned are a bit of mix bag. I would consider a few are players CB with the exception of PHYZ. If you are really looking at GMI, look at TM Gloire Forged, OnOff Red VG3 E type or XXIO. If you willing to spend, go with a custom set of Epon 703.

Hi James,

what's your thoughts on size of the club head? How big are you willing to go?

I love the topic of GI, There is nothing wrong with a little or a lot of forgiveness and distance :)

Not too big and not too much off set. When going too much GI I have a hard time with too much draw, too high, and too much spin. Duffer has me thinking maybe I am not looking for too much GI but some definite extra help.

On a trip to Japan, I hit the RomaRo V okay and a couple years ago went to Bangkok where they recommended 302 at Golf Craft distance is short. Plus, I knew the 302 was too much for me to make consistent contact. I could tell I had the fitter puzzled.

Recently went to Golfsmith to try Mizuno JPX forged and he fit me Callaway X Hot 2 iron with stock shaft which was good in the monitor but couldn't control a huge draw at grass range.

Played MX 23 for a number of years. Just looked at the TM Glorie forged and write up looks like the help I am seeking.

Edited by james13

Look into the sole design too. The sole like in the new srixon line adds so much forgiveness in relation to turf interaction.

Labospec 247G

Hey, James. Don't be discouraged man. At a 22 handi, you're right at the point of breaking 90 (bogey game). You just have a few strokes to go. In terms of head design, I think the Labospec 247G would definitely offer immediate help you think you need, but I don't think they are forged. Also, keep in mind, the larger you go, more than likely the more offset you're going to get.

If you're semi-serious about improving your game, I'd look at Titleist VG3 (non E-type). Might be a little shorter heel to toe than you're comfortable with, but it's really at this level of cavity design you're going to start seeing less offset. I think if you get fitted in the correct flex with some quality graphite composite shafts that are offered in heavier weights, like the UST Recoils, you'll have a good chance at getting some of that launch and distance back, along with control and consistency. Also, some refresher lessons would probably go a long way.

I'm sure Chris aka Tourspecgolfer could help you with all that. Hang in there man - you have a some good options to turn to.

Can recommend Labospec 247 from my own experience. The right balance in size and forgiveness.

i am no expert in the GI range but I did have a set of the VG3.

I thiught they were really nice. They would be my pick for you.

Cant go wrong with any of the sets mentioned though and the custom 703 would last you a lifetime

• 3 months later...

interesting, i play the onoff forge 2013 & found it super forgiving + a club longer than my Epon502s. 703s are just too clicky for me.

are the LB247 more forgiving & longer than Onoff forged 2013s ? was thinking of upgrading the 2013s to kuros

I'm currently playing the 2013 forged and the labospec247.. I would say the 247 to be a tad more forgiving and longer (prolly due to being shafted with roddio i8 and the 2013 forged with nspro850)

I gain at least 1 club in distance with the 247 (again il factor in the roddio shaft). I will swap the shaft soon to see if the shaft indeed is the factor.

However, the 2013 wins hands down for softness and feel.

Good luck with your search.

Yes, iv still got the yamaha combo rmx + maraging available at the bst, if interested.

I don't consider most of the irons being suggested as "game improvement".

drop me an email with some info about your game and what you currently play vs what you are looking for so I can help zero this in for you.

I'm currently playing the 2013 forged and the labospec247.. I would say the 247 to be a tad more forgiving and longer (prolly due to being shafted with roddio i8 and the 2013 forged with nspro850)

I gain at least 1 club in distance with the 247 (again il factor in the roddio shaft). I will swap the shaft soon to see if the shaft indeed is the factor.

However, the 2013 wins hands down for softness and feel.

Good luck with your search.

Yes, iv still got the yamaha combo rmx + maraging available at the bst, if interested.

Will be awesome if u can - thks