Torn between Wedges !!

Hit-em

I've been looking at picking a new 54 deg wedge but can't decide which one I should go with

I use my 54 mainly as my all around wedge except for greenside bunkers & high pitch shots or flops.

Anywhere from 90 yards is my main use ... I play mostly on fairly soft course .. I normally don't take a divot when I use my wedge for finesse shots but will take a small divot on full shots

I was looking at something that has around 10 -12 degrees of bounce.

The wedges I'm considering are the Bettinardi 54 which I've hit & really like the feel ..soft & solid

I'm also considering the following wedges but haven't had the chance to hit so I would really appreciate any feedback from those that have hit them or are using them..

The Yurui Takata 56 bent to 54

The A-Grind 54

The Seven 54

Any thoughts on these wedges & which you feel would best suit my needs ??

Thanks

I just posted my experience with the Yururi Tataki wedge last week. I have a 59.5 degree wedge that I use out of the bunkers and around the greens. It is fantastic.

I just got a Seven wedge but haven't figured out what to shaft it up with. I'll report back as soon as I do. I have a few wedges but don't have any experience with your listed options so I can't offer much else.

I currently have a Tataki 52/58 wedge set and a 52/58 custom finish Seven set.

Both sets are ball shredding machines. Great spin and stopping power.

Where they differ is in feel. The seven are uber soft wedges and the Tataki's are much firmer, The Seven's look nicer and feel better. For my opinion I think the Seven are better wedges.

The problem with your choice of wedges is that the Seven and the a grind just have not been out long enough.

Too few a people have them, and those that do have not had them for long enough to really compare

If you want serious comparisons, i would suggest waiting for a while

Yururi Tataki is good love them, particularly the spin, around the green is a lot easier, and turf interaction. Having said that, don't know how A-Grind/Seven performs. As Craig said those two are quite new.

One more thing, on Seven we are just about sold out of everything only some custom finish and prototypes left.

The original first run wedges purchased will never be produced again the exact same way, I'm always making little adjustments not to say whats next is better but just different. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad and I'm not doing this on purpose I'm just evolving things.

Seven has models that sell out before we even post pics of it. For example last week a new grind wedge 20pcs arrived and they all sold I've only got my personal set to take photos of and while we are producing more again there will be slight adjustments to it so those who have the yet to be named wedge temporarily known as "aggressive grind" congrats. My intention was to hold them, shoot photos, add to website then market and sell but we sold out of the original so I had to offer something.

So I guess the good news is these are already gone so they don't add to the OP's wedge confusion:

Bad is that these are already gone.

** Aggressive Grind has extreme heel and toe relief as well as a grind channel in the center of the sole, it has a lot less trailing edge relief for all lofts, it's conforming grooves unlike the original wedges and this is a satin finish exclusive to SEVEN that has a bit more lustre/gloss look to it but also feels slightly firmer at impact. The neck is just ever so slightly different than the original as well.

post-18-0-25741900-1428475670_thumb.jpg

If those wedges ever evolve to lose the grind channel and add a little onset...email immediately!

forgive my naïveté, but what added benefits is a grind channel supposed to offer?

I'm liking the aggressive heel/toe grind, will those be added to the 64*? that is an immediate buy on my list so keep me in the loop please Chris, thx

The Titleist-Japan Vokey Forged are extremely nice. I prefer the very first model line that came out before the Cold-forged ones. I do believe they are slightly superior to the cold-forged. However until full disclosure I do have a Cold-Forged model in 54. Its a great club. If you ask me why I like the older model versus the newer ones, it comes down to feel. The cold forged have more firmness to them.

forgive my naïveté, but what added benefits is a grind channel supposed to offer?

I'm liking the aggressive heel/toe grind, will those be added to the 64*? that is an immediate buy on my list so keep me in the loop please Chris, thx

A 64* should have trailing edge grind.

The channel grind or sole divot removes the highest point or peak of the sole which helped us keep the leading edge closer to the ground. this is ver important in making the wedge perform better on firm conditions while having a design well suited for soft as well.

I recently acquired a set of Seven wedges (52* | 58*) in trade, and I believe they were from the first batch (or at least one of the earlier ones that went out), and I finally got around to getting them built.

post-16640-0-71145100-1428528632_thumb.j

Really happy with the way they look after the build. Question: these have a longer hosel, huh??

These wedges are outstanding. Very nice soft feel that is a delight to hit as you can feel the ball sponge off the face -- you can almost picture the ball compressing and seeing the non-conforming grooves shred the skin in slow mo. It does what you would expect to spin the ball as they are definitely shredders (at least new they are), but what I really enjoyed during my green-side practice was the versatility of the grind and a seemingly perfect bounce. I tried different types of shots from different lies and they performed really really well from all of them. Opening them up and doing touch shots was a joy because of that softness on the face and control through the turf.

I didn't spend as much time hitting full shots as I didn't expect too much difference from my current Suda gamers, but the shots I did hit felt great and had good dispersion. I shafted with Nippon WV 125 and seems like a great pairing so far. I tend to use my wedges a lot for 3/4 controlled knockdowns and these handled those shots well -- very consistent results and again, a joy to hit. As much as I love spin, I hope these dull a little, for the sake of not eating through my ball stash too quickly, as bigger swings will definitely get these monsters chewing up ball covers, and I intend to put these in play for the entire season.

In helping the OP answer their original question, I would say that the Tataki is definitely not as soft as the Seven's. Tataki's feel good, but nowhere near as good as the Seven. Both are versatile shapes and grinds, but I'd have to give it to the Seven's in that area (so far) as well. It's way too early to compare other aspects of these wedges in terms of play, but my early conjecture is that these Seven's will outshine the Tataki in almost every category, except for maybe looks, as that Yururi finish is just so awesome. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either, so rest assured you'll get great wedges no matter what your selection is between these two (no experience w/ A-grind yet).

BTW, for those that received the custom aggressive grind wedges w/ conforming grooves, please let us know if those are shredders as well.

Edited by needmoregolf

Longer hosel used to be a staple of TourStage irons. Its to help stability and keep ball flight down for better players.