A-Grind Util & Wedge review

RLL33

There's a Par 3 hole on my home course that I've always been between clubs on. For years, I'm either short or long off the tee, and if I ever hit the green, the ball would run through. It's a gorgeous hole designed by Billy Bell as a tribute to a Par 3 at Merion (I don't remember the number...). It's severely uphill through a chute of trees, with a deep bunker front left and a 20-foot drop off to a deep rough valley the entire length of the green on the right. It lists on the card at 182, but easily plays 195. And if there is wind -- which there often is down the hill and in your face between the trees near the tee -- it plays just over 200. Oh, and it's a very small green that is blind to your sight from the tee below.

Here's a pic taken with my phone (which doesn't do the elevation justice):

Well, long story short, I've been trying different clubs on this hole since I joined the club, and have never managed to find a green seeker -- until now.

I picked up the A-Grind 5-Util, and I've now stuck shots on the green my last three rounds. I needed something with distance that would go high and land soft. And this thing did the trick!

As a util, it has a wonderful click on contact. Some have noted that it looks similar to old Adams hybrids, and while this is true, the description doesn't do justice to the look and feel of this club. The black matte finish gives it a feeling of being a real weapon, and the shape and small size make it play like a fine iron while giving hybrid distance. And it is NOT a hook machine -- my first priority when it comes to hybrids. The only thing it comes close to in my experience is the other hybrid I'd never be without -- my Miura 18-deg HB3.

I shafted it with an old favorite, a Matrix Ozik Program 95, and I'm sleeping better at night knowing it's in my bag to pull on #12. Big thumbs up to A-Grind on this club!

Some pics below, but I also wanted to mention another winner -- the 56-onset tour wedge. I love this baby, too. It's literally velvety smooth magic out of bunkers, and the onset makes it wonderful from tight lies on fairways and around greens for chipping. Terrific grind and nice solid, click on contact. Lots of controllable spin off the face. For now, it's even knocked my trusty Miura C-grind from the bag. Another thumbs-up to A-Grind!

post-15743-0-26437900-1429108516_thumb.j

post-15743-0-71825200-1429108539_thumb.j

post-15743-0-09125200-1429108559_thumb.j

post-15743-0-16244500-1429108578_thumb.j

Sorry, Mikey, I didn't take any. I'll try to later this week when I get back out with it. (I think Chris posted some somewhere. Maybe in the blog...?) But the club's a def winner. Wonderful feel.

Thanks for the review man! I thought that A-Grind is hard to hit clubs, are you able to compare their hybrid in terms of forgiveness to other brands?

gian11 -- I find that "forgiving" in a hybrid can be a matter of preference. For me, hybrids that are commonly referred to as forgiving tend to be bigger clubs that seem to turn into hook machines. Like my Miura HB3, the A-Grind sets up smaller and plays more like a long iron with true flight, workability, and no particular bias. The feel is very present, not mushy like a wood can be. Ball really pops off the face though. All I can say is the more I play it, the more I'm liking it -- and I liked it from the first hit.

That's actually a good example. I think most would consider the iBrid more forgiving, and the ball certainly rockets off its face. But I find the A-Grind more precise, even though just as long. I feel like it does what I visualize easier. Same kind of distinction you might make when preferring the steering in a BMW over that of a Mercedes. Not really gonna complain about either, but I like to feel the road a little more even with good power assist. For me, the A-Grind is more of a Beemer.

That's actually a good example. I think most would consider the iBrid more forgiving, and the ball certainly rockets off its face. But I find the A-Grind more precise, even though just as long. I feel like it does what I visualize easier. Same kind of distinction you might make when preferring the steering in a BMW over that of a Mercedes. Not really gonna complain about either, but I like to feel the road a little more even with good power assist. For me, the A-Grind is more of a Beemer.

Great Analogy!

You'll need to translate that for me in terms of Camry vs GTI or something like that.

Hutchy- yeah, it would go great with the paddles on the M3 just lying there on the passenger seat. (g)

nob - how about GTI vs Lexus...?

PS. Keep not wanting to give the wedge short shrift either. Yesterday holed out a shot from 90 yds. And in keeping with the above, it moves through sand like a Boxter on the beach. ?