"A Keeper"...is there such a thing?

A bst thread got me thinking as most people claim that "a keeper" is the holy grail that will never be found. So is there such thing as a keeper? If you buy into American marketing then there's no way. If you're a "ho" then it's not likely either. But I have to think there are a few of us that have found true keepers on rare occasion. I'm a relationship kind of guy so once I find something it's hard to get it out of my bag. I may flirt with a lot of others but a break up is the furthest thing from my mind. When it comes to drivers, I've had two keepers that have been in the bag the majority of my 17 years of golf, the Ping ISI Tour and now the 435. The ISI Tour was still in my bag until around 2010 when the I10 finally replaced it. I flirted with the Rapture for a bit but never got it dialed in like the ISI Tour. Even then, the ISI Tour 3w stayed in the bag until the TM RBZ finally proved to actually be longer. And now...I just don't see anything kicking the 435 out of the bag. I've seen some good looking drivers and flirted with a lot...but again, I just don't see anything causing a break up. Another driver that doesn't see much bag time but I'll never part with is the Ryoma D-1 V-Spec. So maybe I've had 3 keepers when it comes to drivers.

Anyone else able to really find that "keeper"?

Oh, here's a pic of my first keeper just to prove she's still at the ready.., ;)

AFE04D6E-85D5-4EA8-AFF6-2630D1415532_zps

Good topic!

1. Jbeam 425 Tour 10.5* with 2009 Roddio Shingospec M6x

Always playing around with drivers, but this one's never far away and when I am fit and swinging well I can make it sing!

2. My PRGR ZOOM 220i #2 driving iron

Such a versatile club. Par 4 tee balls, par 5 2nd shots, recovery from under trees, low into wind shots etc.

3. Hiro Matsumoto MZ putter

Played with it for 6 years. Sold it. Bought another one, and another (which Rob (Oskar) has now. Perfect putter on fast greens.

Well, I have often change driver, then Jeff (iDrive) went down under, then he insist i try his Kamui/touale combo. It was love at 1st smash. Next round Jeff says hit it again.. more in love. Then he says hit it again. I said no coz it might disappear from his bag when i drop him at the hotel. Jeff flies home, then a month later tells me its got my name written all over it if i want it. That was December 2013. I just said to a long time buddy today after hitting 100% Fwy that i'm married to this thing. Stew says that combo should be made illegal lol.

Next is tourstage 12.5 from your recommendation paired with b70s.. maybe 7months in the bag, this is the same as driver.

These two are the only ones i call keeper at this point in my bag. I have back up to them but rarely sees daylight.

Sonartec ss7 3 wood, FUjikura rombax 7v05 ..... had it refinished several times, cannot find anything better. Got an A-grind head on the way....... We'll see

"Next is tourstage 12.5 from your recommendation paired with b70s.. maybe 7months in the bag, this is the same as driver."

Just found one of these X-Fw Type T new with a Fubuki alpha 70s - excited and hope it becomes a keeper too!

"Next is tourstage 12.5 from your recommendation paired with b70s.. maybe 7months in the bag, this is the same as driver."

Just found one of these X-Fw Type T new with a Fubuki alpha 70s - excited and hope it becomes a keeper too!

You found a 12.5? Awesome. Chiro swears by it, now i do too. Put your favourite shaft & hopefully it works great for you too !

Not found a keeper in any particular model, but a manufacturer I keep going back to with regard to drivers is Yamaha. Tried most of the V series and love them. I think I'll always have one model hanging around with me for the forseable.

TM R510TP. Still have it and still bring it out every now and then. Always hit it great. Will probably never get rid of it. Ever

Edited by Vegaman

This is a great topic Mikey, That ISI is sick.

I had a set of keepers until...I was introduced to JDM, that set of irons was ping ISI, I loved those things. Paint filled them several times to mach the grip set-up. On the brighter side my brother in law now has them so still get to look at them and wonder why??? Anyway he knows they will be coming back to me before any one else :)

Over the moon that he feels the love though.

Similar to Ian I think I will always have a V series Yamaha, without a doubt one of the best lines of drivers ever made. And over a period of time.

If all have read as I sure they have, for me it is the Zen putter...it will be my cane head when I am living my life through my grand children's eyes ;)

I think with technology changing all the time the "keeper" will be hard to obtain on performance alone.

For me a "keeper" is more about the aesthetics and design, so having said that am sure all personal custom golds or other personalisation gear will be in that category.

Off the shelf is another matter entirely.

When we find that off the shelf "keeper" that is something very special like your ISI timber on a stick Mikey ;)

What a nice piece of laminated, hand shaped piece of wood and twine...Hats of bro, that is a true keeper.

I would game that in a heart beat, I reckon ping would re-shaft it twine and all.

Edited by hutchy

I know I have a keeper when I get a second as backup because I couldn't bear living if I didn't know I had that club... <g>

-- S-Yard T.388

-- old TM R7 3-wood in beautiful dark wine color (stayed in the bag 7 years until S-Yard XV3 knocked it out, but I still take it out and swing it at home just to see it in hand)

-- Callaway forged copper 64* wedge

yamaha 405D driver. Kicked it out a dozen times and now it's my gamer again in rotation. Won't ever remove the shaft anymore.

Mizuno mx 23 3iron head shafted with c taper lite. Well oldest club in the bag dads old club. Perfect off the tee and even better from the fairway. No fat shots like thick soled driving irons!

Tad Moore blade. Since it's a handmade will never get sold my dads name is emblazoned on sole as well

GF custom dads custom as well with his name

That's about it for now

Yeah, it's a fraternity, Hutchy, and a lot of what I like about being here on TSG -- talking to others who get it...

I had an old 4-wood of my dad's, too, that was that beautiful layered wood like yours, Mikey. I used to swing that in the backyard, too, but one day the twine gave way and the head sailed over the wall to a neighbor's property. They got sick of me asking if they ever found it... Hurt inside to lose it... and I actually kept the hickory shaft for a while... think it's still in storage...

Also, didn't get into putters... <g> The Burning Copper Yamada that I had Gold's restore and put my initials on (the finish of which you now occasionally see appearing on others like that Dream 54 that sold here in the store a couple weeks ago) will never leave me in this world if I have anything to say about it. In fact, I only putt with it in the office these days... <g> And of course the Zen... And... oh well, you know... <g>

This is a great topic Mikey, That ISI is sick.

I had a set of keepers until...I was introduced to JDM, that set of irons was ping ISI, I loved those things. Paint filled them several times to mach the grip set-up. On the brighter side my brother in law now has them so still get to look at them and wonder why??? Anyway he knows they will be coming back to me before any one else :)

Over the moon that he feels the love though.

Similar to Ian I think I will always have a V series Yamaha, without a doubt one of the best lines of drivers ever made. And over a period of time.

If all have read as I sure they have, for me it is the Zen putter...it will be my cane head when I am living my life through my grand children's eyes ;)

I think with technology changing all the time the "keeper" will be hard to obtain on performance alone.

For me a "keeper" is more about the aesthetics and design, so having said that am sure all personal custom golds or other personalisation gear will be in that category.

Off the shelf is another matter entirely.

When we find that off the shelf "keeper" that is something very special like your ISI timber on a stick Mikey ;)

What a nice piece of laminated, hand shaped piece of wood and twine...Hats of bro, that is a true keeper.

I would game that in a heart beat, I reckon ping would re-shaft it twine and all.

Ah yes, my Zen...been in the bag since the day she arrived!

As far as the ISI, Ping announced about 10 years ago (around 7 years after the last wood clubs rolled off their assembly lines) that they would no longer repair any of their wood clubs. When they did that I had my friend (one of Ping's tour reps) dig around their factory and I got 1w, 3w, & 5w back-ups. Those babies are still tucked away in 100% virgin state!

Sweeeet

Ah yes, my Zen...been in the bag since the day she arrived!

As far as the ISI, Ping announced about 10 years ago (around 7 years after the last wood clubs rolled off their assembly lines) that they would no longer repair any of their wood clubs. When they did that I had my friend (one of Ping's tour reps) dig around their factory and I got 1w, 3w, & 5w back-ups. Those babies are still tucked away in 100% virgin state!

Sweeeeet, They are Beautiful

I went and joined a ping club with my ISIs, wasn't exactly the DB7 Sunday drivers club but it made me feel like my Irons were special.

Yes man the Zen...oh the Zen...I noticed one in the BST when I first came here and thought dude??? then realised he probably had more than one, errrrrr

TSG has been an eye opener and a wonderful curse (bad medicine so to speak)...laugh or cry non the less that beauty has been with me since day dot and will be with me till the day chickens grow teeth.

Thats why I think this clubworks and your buddy Tom gave given us hope that what goes around surely comes around ;)

Great topic indeed!

Funny enough though, the undoubted keeper that still has a bag spot is my usdm Mizuno MP-T 64* wedge. Been trying to find a newer gamer in the same loft but she's stayed true so even if I find one, she'll get tucked away. Too many great green side finesse shot with that baby!

My First Gold's - Lucky Money is a lifer!!

Ones that are quickly earning the "Keeper" title are:

1. TRPX D-013 | Diamana X 70s

2. 2010 Yururi Flatbacks

3. PRGR idbl's stay with the Nippon Proto Ora's in S forever!

Edited by needmoregolf

Haha

Great topic indeed!

Funny enough though, the undoubted keeper that still has a bag spot is my usdm Mizuno MP-T 64* wedge. Been trying to find a newer gamer in the same loft but she's stayed true so even if I find one, she'll get tucked away. Too many great green side finesse shot with that baby!

2. 2010 Yururi Flatbacks

Got to get me some of those flatbacks.

Come on C you know it was you...lol

You still got a Zen

Yours came with a little checky hand towel, when a noticed that I was straight on to Taka san and asked where was mine...lol

Edited by hutchy

Funny enough, I'm generally a keeper type of guy - try plenty, find what works, and stick with it - but I haven't gotten much beyond step 1.5 since I got into JDM.

My absolute keepers are my Xenon handmade putters. I'm long over due for a post about these, but they're fantastic. I'll do the post before long.

Other than that, my Masda blades probably won't go anywhere and, most likely, my Miura baby blades. My Kenneth Smith blades probably get handed down to my kids.

i have a couple of clubs that have stood the test of time.... mizuno mp-14's and the original adams idea pro hybrids. newer gear i would say the crazy toyo's and romaro type r 3wd are definitely keepers. also, just got the epon 303's and they have the potential to stay for a long time.

Great topic indeed!

2. 2010 Yururi Flatbacks

My 2010 Flatbacks is getting close to getting this status.

I won't let go of an old Honma PP-8032 putter

PRO-V1

I played pro-v1 golf balls as far as I could remember and played many other brands but keep coming back.

:tsg_smilie_smile2: