4-Stars by Honma | TW727 455S Driver

XF5A0806-Edit-Edit.jpg

Many have heard of Honma star rated clubs and shafts but the majority still doesn't quite understand how the program works or how it's better than the standard versions so I figured it's time to explain.

XF5A0901-Edit.jpg

XF5A0890-Edit.jpg

XF5A0894-Edit.jpg

Only Veteran Craftsmen can work on 4-5 Star builds, each person must have over 20 years working in the factory with Honma. Honma clubs usually come standard at 2 stars with optional 3/4/5 star upgrade options each costing more the higher it goes. The difference between them are basically aesthetics, custom options, and shaft materials, for example 4-5 star shafted clubs are open to all requests within Sakata Factories realm of capabilities..

In this case if I just ordered a 4-Star TW727 without requesting options this driver would have arrived with a gold crown but I selected custom matte black because its my preference, the matte look combined with gold is gorgeous kinda a mixture of bad ass with luxurious. I decided to keep the 4 star shaft original gold color to flow with the rest of the theme although matte black with gold foil graphics would have been insane. The ferrule itself has real 24k gold accents on it as well, it's over the top yes but it's beautiful looking ferrule.

XF5A0821-Edit.jpg

Pink Shaft & Head no problem? White Ice cream cone looking driver is fine as well, Honma also let's you customize the specs from exact lofts to lie angles and face angles or weighting biases but besides the looks it's really the shaft that has a lot of the value. ARMRQ8 is an eight axis design made with 2 basic graphite sheets and as you go up in stars the materials used in the sheets change to higher grade carbon.

2-Star = 40T/46T
3-Star = 46T/46T
4-Star = 46T/50T
5-Star = 50T/50T

Some of you are wondering where is the 80T? 80T is not the material of choice when it comes to performance & feel as a whole, it is a great option for anti shaft deformation but it also causes issues with feel and distance so it's not the ideal material for most shaft applications although on the web the higher # will tend to get the credit over design.

Screen-Shot-2015-05-07-at-2.16.52-PM.png

The carbon material is different depending on the star grade so the higher grade shaft will minimize wobble at off-center hits and the negatively effected shot dispersion and distance loss are minimized. let's say you had a swing robot that hit the center perfectly the same spot and speed every time then there would be no need or difference between the 2/3/4/5 star shafts but the reality is we can't duplicate our best results over and over so this is where materials aid the player in keeping a tighter dispersion on off center shots which maintain straighter results and more distance or in other words it improves the results of our swing flaws.

Screen-Shot-2015-05-07-at-2.40.38-PM.png

So what does this all mean? It means with better materials you rely on timing less, you get better distance on off center hits due to less shaft deformation and your trajectory is more penetrating in general.

XF5A0879-Edit-Edit.jpg

That matte crown looks so sweet, the Tour World 455S is the second most forgiving model of driver in the series, it's still draw biased but just slightly and like the others has a square face angle. The standard shaft is VIZARD which is designed for the harder swinger, it too also has a very tight dispersion due to the metal fibers in the tip section, the Vizard line is not available in upgrade stars only the ARMRQ8 series is.

Below an image of the face, as you can see while still deep there is space on both sides heel & toe for miss hits.

XF5A0870-Edit.jpg

XF5A0862-Edit-Edit.jpg

The 455/455S/ and 460 models are W-FORGED which is a new process developed by Honma which combines two new techniques, the first is an industry first high density forging method that increases the face strength by 15% via tighter forged fibers allowing Honma to make the face thinner and save 2g weight, this gives Honma a greater freedom of design. The second is Variable face thickness, and while this has been around for a while the method Honma uses is proprietary to create the perfect amount of rebound across a wider area thus expanding the sweet spot size. Bottom line bigger sweet spot, better feel, and more distance!

XF5A0888-Edit-Edit.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the run down and photos of this club, any of the tour world series drivers can be customized one thing worth mentioning is 5-Star customers when traveling to Japan can schedule a tour of the factory and have their clubs & shafts refinished and re gripped at no additional cost keeping their investment looking brand new even after years of play.

that is one beautiful driver !!

That Black & Gold color combo would be a great match with the '15 AAA shaft !!!

6 stars for looks!!!

2 questions:

- the vizard shaft is approx. similar in quality as the 2 star ARMRQ shaft? I.e. 40/46t?

- how does the four star ARMRQ shaft compare in performance and feel to similar $1k shafts on the market?

Vizard is a completely different profile than the ARMRQ8 shafts. Stiffer by design with metal fibers in tip to help with timing, I would say this is the more cost effective route to the high end material way. Most likely 40T

It's so hard to say without eliminating all the variables I will say that ARMRQ8 62 Stiff 4 Star feels pretty stiff, stiffer than my AAA 60 Stiff.

That is one great looking driver. So smooth and perfectly crafted.

Good choice on the colour scheme. The ferrule is bling but sick!

This driver looks majestic, and love that there are so many details to customize. What is the pricing between the stars?

The matte finish with the 24k gold accents on ferrule is amazing !

The 4 and 5 star upgrades are outlandishly expensive - around 3 grand. Very interested to hear how the testing went with this 4-star model. Didn't see any mention of how it performed...or have you not tested it much at this time?