15 hours ago, donnieu said:

1966, age 12, Wilson Blue Ridge irons with reminder grips, a cut down Wilson driver, and a Bullseye putter.

Great stuff! When you say ”reminder grips” do you mean like the Golf Pride Victory grips with lines on the front to give you a hint on where to put your hands, or do you mean the back line/ridge? I can’t play with round grips and here in Sweden we call the back line a reminder.

No, I've never seen any grips being sold like those were.   On the top half of the grip, there was a flat area on one edge of the grip to aid in positioning your left hand.   Not a ribbed grip like todays.

Edited by donnieu

Toy Golf Set

image.png

Edited by dickyfowler

On 6/20/2018 at 1:52 PM, bngolfer said:

Great stuff! When you say ”reminder grips” do you mean like the Golf Pride Victory grips with lines on the front to give you a hint on where to put your hands, or do you mean the back line/ridge? I can’t play with round grips and here in Sweden we call the back line a reminder.

With a google, I found this which only the old timers will remember:

— "Our friend Gene Sarazen also invented the flat side reminder grip seen on thousands of Wilson clubs made from the 1930s through the 1960s. Mr. Sarazen personally told me that he wanted to get a better grip with his left hand (top hand) so he took his pen knife and sliced a flat portion off the side so he could get the proper firm grip. Only after being on the market for many years did the USGA finally outlaw this type of grip. All beginner golfers certainly miss this aid."