Welcome to Japanese Golf Clubs at Golf To Impress

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

nobmontana

Your first set of clubs!

23 posts in this topic

Was reading up on the "keeper" thread and realized that my first set I owned had stayed with me for 24 years ( but less than 10 rounds of play between 1987 and 2009 )

Driver " Callaway " S2H2 Driver 10.5deg / steel shaft

3,5 woods Generic " Pro Model " metal woods / steel shaft

Irons: 2-SW Taylormade EL-1 blades / True Temper steel

Putter: Acushnet Bullseye offset putter < I still have this baby !! >

In 2009 thru a company sponsored event, I started to play again and I honestly do not remember what clubs I switched to then... that's bad... I think I might have been using mixed irons for a while until I got Ping G10/i10 Combos with Tour Concept shafts... then switched to Ping Anser irons.... and list goes on and on.....

I also quickly learned on eBay ( So educational ! ) the existence of this thing called "Japan Market Only Hi Cor Drivers." Back in those days, they were priced very high. I started to tinker with those drivers for a bit and while researching, ended up landing on this TSG site... and you all know what happened after that point...:)

So tell me about your first set of clubs!

Sword izu max cor

Sword irons

Ping anser putter

Marumanbshuttle.

Only started in 2007!

C you've been JDMing from the start!

Callaway ERC Fusion+ 10* stock stiff

Wilson Fatshafts 3i - SW stock stiff graphite

Wilson putter (can't remember which model)

Mitsushiba irons and an assortment of random woods, wedges, and a putter...all forced upon me by my ex's father who made me feel like I had to learn golf if I wanted to get anywhere with his daughter. Ironically the golf is still with me...

My first iron set

Nicklaus Golden Bear Blade Irons 3-PW and Driver.

my putter was a bulls eye type but was a major beater.

in hindsight i really am glad I started off with blades. i was about 12 years old when i started and i certainly remember alot of PAIN that the golden bear blades inflicted upon me but I think now it has made all the difference in the world in terms of being a better ball striker.

Wilson. My summer job when I was in high school was working in the Wilson golf club factory in Chicago... <g>

This is great!! Keep them coming.,

Wilson. My summer job when I was in high school was working in the Wilson golf club factory in Chicago... <g>

My dream iron set back in the day was that Wilson Staff Fluid Feel model with the bore thru red top....

Jackie Burke Blades and woods. Old girlfriends dad sold them to me for $150.

I remember seeing Billy Casper beat Arnold Palmer at the Olympic Club SF in 1966. My buddy's dad was VP with Wilson Sporting Goods and got us in. My first set were Slazenger Blades from a Pro, Nick Locke (looked like Bob Hope). I worked a Summer at his pro shop in McMinneville Or. Clubs were gifted. First set I bought when I decided to take up the game were the Ping Eye black dot, this was in the late 70's when I became Purchasing Manager at the Lodge at Pebble Beach. Still have the set and the woods from Precision Golf San Diego. Last set I got and still have before I laid off golf for 23 years are 2-SW First Flight MB from the 80's with the scotch toe.

first set proper were the great white shark "set"

driver 3w 5w 4-pw aw-sw and "a putter" and bag.

worth a cool 350 bucks.

previous to this at school was random clubs for mthe "club bin" at the local muni course/ rememebr when i got a $10 3iron, was like gold dust!

My first proper set kf irons where the TM 200 series irons.Hit them really well. Actually miss them quite a lot.

Think my first set I ever used was a set of seve slasanger blades inherited from the oldfella, couldn't hit them for s**t but didn't care just loved being out there with the oldys in there check pants and cardigans.

Got my first set from my dad when I was 24 years of age- Tommy A irons. He won at golf outing. I used them forever and had no idea, until I really got into golf, what I was missing in a set of clubs. I still have the set, but not my dad. Probably will never part with them. Thanks dad for introducing me to the game of golf!!

delete.

Edited by NiftyNiblick

My first was a Nike slingshot.. Ugly as hell but it was really easy to hit with its big fat head...lol

Titleist 962s 3-PW
Big Bertha driver 3W and 5Wood
Bullseye and some form of sand wedge.

good times

A half set King Crown (ladys irons) and a Brassie + a 5 wood from McGregor.

This was 1974 and I was 13 :-)

My first clubs were 3-5-7-9 "Swinger" (well...); red laminate Mizuno 2 and 4 woods from the 60's; SW that I can't remember and a Ben Sayers putter. It was in 1983, I was 6 years old and the only one in my family to play golf. Oh, I still have the clubs, but not my first bag. These ones are in a blue and white TaylorMade carry bag from 1986. 

If my son turns out to have good hand-eye coordination, I might let him start with these clubs as well when he turns 5 next summer. It will be so easy for him when he gets a set of forged player's cb when he is 7 :-)

My first set comprised of a set of irons my father-in-law handed down to me and I recall they were a combo set of old Precept cavity/muscle backs. I had this matching set of Hippo woods I probably got off of ebay. My wedges were from Pinemeadow, Acer I believe with an oil can finish. Flatstick? Slotline California Raider. Still got that one. Maybe I'll bring it out to the Mt. Si outing in a couple of weeks.

Well, that was unexpected. But thanks for the update:tsg_smiley_muscle:

Very interesting to hear you all's first stix.  Like Mr.haha I had them Nicklaus Clubz

It was weeks since my grandfathers passing in back 2007. I was still not myself at work, but my co-worker one day took me to the driving range and gave me his extra set which he stared playing with and was no longer using.  I never took the time to actually look at golf as a sport I'd play, I'd been a bowler and baseball junkie.  That night at the range, after about 30 minutes I was able to land 1 hit of the 7 iron right in the sweet spot, I was immediately drawn to the sport, and vowed to hit it like that again.   With Blisters on both hands at age 26 I started golf with my first set Nicklaus Golden Bear full set from driver to wedges, the ones with huge cavity back and blue hybrids and it even came with a putter.   It was a fantastic set which were so easy to get in the air.  I loved them! Still do.

Using the free Nicklaus set lent to me by my co-worker, over 2 years I learned the game and managed to get a swing to get fitted. I gave the set back to my friend after buying my first set of fitted R7s.  

Playing at local munis here in Hawaii I found alot of golfers flying from Japan to play our courses, while playing and talking with them I was slowly introduced to the JDM world of golf.  I was very curious, joined TSG and Goflwrx back in the late 2000s wanting to know more about Endo Forgings and Mirua Forgings and jdm golf.  

It has been a great trip so far.  

I thank my friend Wes for getting me out of a slumpy time and introducing to a life of chasing that white ball.  

Edited by xchangmanx