No balls about it

bankbank

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

using epon balls however find that their covers are easily scuffed etc.

srixon z star and tm lethal are also good. never been particular about

the balls i use.

Vision ProSoft 808

Vision X3

Vision UV Yellow

All good balls....If you can get your hands on some...give them a go......

ProSoft is awesome

Thanks for the shoutout MB and Hutch! Been meaning to share my thoughts on Vice balls.

I play a lot of different balls and am not too particular, as I find many of the premium balls work for my game, and the hardest part for me is keeping them in the bag, but the improved iron striking and more consistent tee shots is helping with that, thankfully ;)

Love Pro V's - tried and true and would play them any day of the week. Very much like Taylormade Tour Preferred as well as Penta (older 5 layer ones). Growing affection and very impressed w/ the Z Star (and the XV) ball. Bridgestone B330 line is pretty good, but for some reason, I can't hold onto these for more than a hole at a time (Golf Gods don't like these for me?? dunno, it's weird but true...) Tried a couple other Srixon Japanese offerings and they were very nice as well, but not had enough time with them to even offer much feedback.

That being said for all of these, I'm turned off by the pricing for premium balls at the retail level, so when I stumbled upon this new company, Vice, I was happy to see that someone decided to do something about it. Their basic biz model is to offer volume discounts by direct distribution and cutting out the middle man (retailers). They offer a fresh perspective on the golf ball design as you can personalize down to a picture, and not just some logo or boring stamping. They do small run collaboration w/ other new and exciting companies and designers. I chose the Pro Shooter as it offered a cool retro design w/ the revolver, and I will likely personalize w/ pics of all my playing partners at some point and hand them out (now I just need to make sure I get pics of them all doing something silly and embarrassing on the course hahaha).

So, for about$34.95 for one dozen or the discounted $24.95/dozen (when ordering past a certain amount - I believe its 8 dozen or thereabouts), these balls perform very well. They're a bit firmer than say a ProV, but spin better than a NXT, so holds greens well and feels pretty good on putts. Off the tee I could not tell a difference in distance from the premium balls, and feeling off the face was similar (although I find Z star yellow balls to be the only ones to feel really different from the rest off the tee as they seem spongier). They hold up well too, and I put the ball into a lot of different places on the course LOL

All in all a solid ball, fun/cool design, durable and great pricing. I'm still on my first box so can't offer much more than that, but so far, so good ;)

Here's some eye candy for you to enjoy...

post-16640-0-39800700-1431440157_thumb.jpost-16640-0-10370900-1431440169_thumb.jpost-16640-0-77056500-1431440149_thumb.j

Edited by needmoregolf

D

Good write-up. Based on your experience i went ahead and ordered the Pro Plus.

Me, too. Thanks, D -- I'd never heard of these guyz.

that sounds like must try ball. Wonder if they have these here in bkk..

awesome, lemme know what you think guys!

They are based out of Germany and believe they ship world wide, so check on their site.

Thanks for the shoutout MB and Hutch! Been meaning to share my thoughts on Vice balls.

I play a lot of different balls and am not too particular, as I find many of the premium balls work for my game, and the hardest part for me is keeping them in the bag, but the improved iron striking and more consistent tee shots is helping with that, thankfully ;)

Love Pro V's - tried and true and would play them any day of the week. Very much like Taylormade Tour Preferred as well as Penta (older 5 layer ones). Growing affection and very impressed w/ the Z Star (and the XV) ball. Bridgestone B330 line is pretty good, but for some reason, I can't hold onto these for more than a hole at a time (Golf Gods don't like these for me?? dunno, it's weird but true...) Tried a couple other Srixon Japanese offerings and they were very nice as well, but not had enough time with them to even offer much feedback.

That being said for all of these, I'm turned off by the pricing for premium balls at the retail level, so when I stumbled upon this new company, Vice, I was happy to see that someone decided to do something about it. Their basic biz model is to offer volume discounts by direct distribution and cutting out the middle man (retailers). They offer a fresh perspective on the golf ball design as you can personalize down to a picture, and not just some logo or boring stamping. They do small run collaboration w/ other new and exciting companies and designers. I chose the Pro Shooter as it offered a cool retro design w/ the revolver, and I will likely personalize w/ pics of all my playing partners at some point and hand them out (now I just need to make sure I get pics of them all doing something silly and embarrassing on the course hahaha).

So, for about$34.95 for one dozen or the discounted $24.95/dozen (when ordering past a certain amount - I believe its 8 dozen or thereabouts), these balls perform very well. They're a bit firmer than say a ProV, but spin better than a NXT, so holds greens well and feels pretty good on putts. Off the tee I could not tell a difference in distance from the premium balls, and feeling off the face was similar (although I find Z star yellow balls to be the only ones to feel really different from the rest off the tee as they seem spongier). They hold up well too, and I put the ball into a lot of different places on the course LOL

All in all a solid ball, fun/cool design, durable and great pricing. I'm still on my first box so can't offer much more than that, but so far, so good ;)

Here's some eye candy for you to enjoy...

attachicon.gifVice 2.jpgattachicon.gifVice 3.jpgattachicon.gifVice 1.jpg

you just love it because there's a gun on the box.

I like the phrase on the other side of the ball..."never outgunned" :)

I haven't been able to find a good compression chart of some of these 2015 balls anywhere (including the new Srixon's, ProV1(x)s, etc)?

I would have loved to try the Volvik S3/S4 if they didn't stamp that "White Color" on the ball which is idiotic...

Going to get some of these Vice balls.

I believe those are your pics, D, but everybody who looked assumed they were the company's. Nice work!

Thanks K, you know me, love shooting stuff that looks cool. Up next is my A-Grind UT which I'll post soon as well ;)

Thanks to D I ordered the Vice Pro Plus balls. They arrived today. Will be in the bag for tomorrow.

post-15908-0-06409500-1431620873_thumb.j

Will look forward to your reaction, Ash, as we seem, as always, to like a lot of the same things. I ordered the sampler pack to try all the models. Scheduled to arrive next week.

I got the Vice Pro and here are my thoughts...the feel of the ball and cover and just like Pro V1. The ball feels slightly heavier but that's probably just me. Dropping it on cement is sounds the same. It's just as long as a pro v. Same feel of my the clubs. I would say it spins more however. I hit some marginal irons and it still dug in and stopped where a Pro V usually releases a ways. Overall, these balls are just as good for me with a 90mph swing. Maybe the big hitters would have a different opinion. Excellent ball and definitely one I would keep playing. Which is good, cuz I bought 5 dozen. Ordered on Monday night and with 13.99 shipping I had them Thursday before 10am.

So I played a round this morning with the Pro Plus Vice balls. Conditions were ideal no wind and course is coming around very nicely.

A little background. I usually play one of three balls only: Epon F4, Nike RZN Black or ProV1's.

The Pro plus looks like a high quality ball, nice finish and the dimple pattern is very reminiscent of the ProV1 ball

Feel off the driver was very nice, solid ball, did not notice any increased side spin or off line motion. I like a ball to feel and sound solid when making contact and this ball fits the bill.

Iron shots were what i would normally see with my other ball choices. Good flight no odd side spin. Feel was again solid. Short irons had good spin when the ball makes contact with the green. Short par 3 i hit an 8 iron off the tee the ball landed 3 feet from the pin and stuck. Exactly what i was looking for. Longer irons again the ball felt and reacted much like the ProV1 balls.

Off the putter the ball rolled well. Felt solid. I was using my Zen putter today and this ball felt great off the face. Again i did not notice any odd motion or off line spin from the putter face.

I would have to say if i closed my eyes i would not be able to tell the difference between the Pro V1 and the Vice Pro Plus balls.

For the money this is an excellent replacement to the high end balls.

post-15908-0-09804000-1431717760_thumb.jpost-15908-0-75001000-1431717767_thumb.j

bk and ash, great reviews, you guys nailed it! very pro v-like without the cost, and I especially like the added data about no odd motion off the line from putts, I experienced that as well. these really are a great solution to the problem of a disposable commodity not breaking the bank, which leaves more room for golf and gear...win - win :)

excellent pics too, I might add!

Edited by needmoregolf

Ash, I guess this is almost a two-part question -- because it would involve how you compare Pro V1 to Nike RZN Blk, too -- but how would you compare them to the Nike RZN Black that you also hit sometimes? Thx.

Ash, I guess this is almost a two-part question -- because it would involve how you compare Pro V1 to Nike RZN Blk, too -- but how would you compare them to the Nike RZN Black that you also hit sometimes? Thx.

Richard

The RZN Black and ProV1 comparison for me goes like this

ProV1 more durable ball with a better cover. More spin around the greens.

RZN Black longer off the driver. Less side spin on long shots. Less spin around greens.

Same feel off the putter

Pro plus is very similar to the Pro v1 and so compares against the Rzn Black similarly. More spin on shorter shots and less distance on longer shots i.e. the Driver.

I didn't mention in the above post that i played two balls most of the round.

Thanks, Ash. That's pretty much how I feel about RZN vs Pro V1, so I'm glad to hear that. I have noticed this year though that in an attempt by Nike at softening the cover a bit on the RZN Black, my ball is scuffing much more easily. A couple of iron shots into a round and I see little strands protruding off of scuff marks, and then I don't want to hit that ball off the tee. Aerodynamics and all that... So I'll be anxious to see how the Vice feels AND holds up.

And what do you know... as we're speaking... the Vice package just arrived!

(Man, those guys are fast -- Munich to Left Coast from Tues to Fri!)

It's actually raining here, so I'll have to wait until next week to hit these. Looking forward to it.

(Thanks again to D.)

I played a round yesterday with D on my home course and played the full round with the Vice Pro Plus balls. As mentioned, the packaging, look, feel, all scream premium ball. If I compared it to the XV, the skin seems to have more grip when you run two against each other and performed similar to the XV around the greens in chipping/pitching and short irons into the green. If I compared the Pro+ against a normal Z-Star, it definitely does not perform as well in chipping as the normal Z-Star, but neither did the XV. I did not notice much difference on side-spin compared to the XV and do I dare say it might have been a little longer as it seems to be a lower compression ball than the XV. So, after getting past the mentally, was that a bad shot or or the ball aspects yesterday, I am comfortable about the 5 dozen that are being delivered today ;) (3 days from Germany to California with custom logos - wow).

I got the sampler pack of all four of their balls, and I played them blind on Tuesday. Only looked after shots at which ball it was that I hit. I'd say they're all high quality. The only one I didn't like was the Drive. This is understandable as that one's a two-piece distance ball. Of the other three, the Tour felt the softest, was especially good on putts. All around, both the Pro and Pro Plus felt as good as the Nike RZN Black I usually use, and neither of them scuffed quickly the way this year's Nike seems to. The ProPlus took off from my 2-iron on one tee, going farther than I usually hit the Nike and with terrific feel. But I came within ten inches of an ace with the Pro late in the round, and it also bored through the wind off my t.388 like a knife in whipped cream. So, for me, it's probably going to come down to the Pro or the ProPlus. Gonna play them again tomorrow. But no question, these are premium feel balls at a great price. And I agree with MP, great service from these guys Munich to LA via FedEx.