Welcome to Japanese Golf Clubs at Golf To Impress

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

chiromikey

Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 15 irons

53 posts in this topic

Any feedback on these? It's the first USDMiron I've had any interest in in years...

5061AEC4-5AA9-4317-89FC-47A44343F523_zps

They look great Mikey, looks like bit inspiration from the P1 with the double step muscle.

The Personsls were originally a Ben Hogan design...as was the name so there's some history between Epon and Hogan. These do look good and I'm intrigued by the theory behind their design.

Ah yes indeed...I can remember a comparison shown between the P1s and the original hogan design, forgot about that.

Are these forged by endo Mikey, the design and grind is different but nice with the concave in the second muscle.

The more I look at them the more appealing they are.

I don't think they're Endo but I just can't find much on them...

The Personsls were originally a Ben Hogan design...as was the name so there's some history between Epon and Hogan. These do look good and I'm intrigued by the theory behind their design.

That was sure putting it politely, Mike.

I took advantage of a trial offer the company has (had?) going - pay $30 for two-way shipping and they send you three irons to play for a month. So, I have 27*, 39*, and 51* currently.

I love them at address - compact, minimal offset, medium top line. I have them shafted with Tour V, which is 10g lighter than I've been playing and a bit of a different flex profile. I took them out with my Masda blades and I'll say that I didn't fall immediately in love. The dense feeling of the Masda is addictive and I didn't get that with the Hogans. I'm not sure how much of what I found is related to the shafts, but I'll give them another run to see if they can impress me like I had hoped they would. I've long loved Hogans and I love a lot of the design concept here (especially the sole); I'd love to love these.

Edited by kaaayelll

Great info, thank you! The Masdas are hard to beat in feel so I get what you're saying. Looking forward to hearing about your next go with them.

how is the offset on them ?

Edited by supo67

Looks really good.... Looking forward to more feedback and pictures

I went to the range this morning, but the findings are worthless with range rocks and my slightly-off swing. I'll update when I get them on grass again. In the mean time, here are some pics.

post-15444-0-48833300-1431622856_thumb.j

post-15444-0-14644800-1431622879_thumb.j

post-15444-0-06243800-1431622896_thumb.j

post-15444-0-26284500-1431622917_thumb.j

post-15444-0-24427700-1431622938_thumb.j

post-15444-0-42820000-1431622959_thumb.j

post-15444-0-10202500-1431622975_thumb.j

Thanks for the pics! Offset looks manageable for those of us fighting for less. Im looking forward to an update on feel but I may just have to check these out in person.

Looking good so far... Do the face milling on the wedge extends to their irons as well?

Face milling is on everything, Ed.

Ok, so I took these out today. I played a bag of Masda/CTaper except for the Hogan/KBS Tour V in 27*/39*/51* (in place of 5i, 8i, and Gap) and a Vega VM-02/Royal Precision Flighted Rifle 6.5 6i - definitely a mixed bag.

I want to amend my comment about topline. They are definitely pretty thick - not bothersome to me, but pretty thick nonetheless. Now, feel - pretty great actually. Only when I nutted the Masda did it feel better. The Hogan has the feeling of the ball melting into the face. I can't help but wonder how much of that sensation relates to the awesome turf interaction created by the V sole. Either way, the feel is pretty addictive. I'd love an Epon user to try these. I have not liked much Epon (I find them kind of vague) save for the P2, but I'd like others to comment on their similarities/differences. Shape-wise, I can't say they're my favorite, but I get used to them quickly. Of course, once I pull out a Masda and set it on the turf, I have a wow moment; those are some good looking heads (the 9i/PW could be smaller for my taste). Distance - maybe owing to the lighter, low-soon shafts and the lower CG, I think these are 1/2 club or so longer than the Masda, which I don't find short themselves. They are higher than the Masda. Last thing, the wedge is quite nice - easy to get it to spin, great turf interaction, and beautiful set up. These are basically forged versions of the Scor wedges - not bad!

Anyway, I'm rambling. Miley, I think it's definitely worth taking some swings. I'll try to hit them again tomorrow. If anything jumps out at me or changes, I'll update.

Top line seem similar to fourteen.... can you compare to other type of blades you have game in term of feel and forgiveness?? Haven't have the pleasure to hit masda blades yet so can't imagine

Good info k. I went down to the PGA Superstore across from my office to check these out today. Some superstore...not a single Hogan in sight and no idea if or when they'll even have them. If you come back with another positive update tomorrow I'll find them one way or another!

thats exactly what they look like the SCOR wedges. ive got a set of those.

they look good , feel is acceptable. (POS shafts tho.... KBS tour rev things)

but they are a good design.

know what u wean about a masda moment at address!!!

no offset , thicker top line,..

might be a set id get at some point.

Mikey, Hogan is attempting to do distribution through club pros and direct-to-consumer, presumably to avoid the discount game and to maintain an air of distinction. If the are still running the 30-day trial deal, that's a great way to check them out. Otherwise, maybe there's a club near you that has demos, though I doubt that piece is built out substantially at this point. Give their customer service a call and they'll get you sorted one way or another: 1 (844) 534-6426. I'll be back with more on the sticks later.

So, I got a few more swings in over four quick holes. It's hard to argue with these clubs. I think if they look appealing to you, definitely give them a try.

I hadn't played my Baby Blades this season, so I took the 6i out alongside everything else. Man, that's a sweet stick, too. Why do I bring that up? Right now, I've got BB, Masda, raw Vega VM-02, and a set of MR-23 waiting for cooper. So, I don't know if I'm rushing out to buy a set of Hogans, but if someone said they were the only set I could ever play again, I don't think I'd cry. The wedges, I might just buy those sooner rather than later. The shape, feel, grind, and spin are fantastic. Hop and stop from 100yds, even with lowing trajectory...I'll take it.

Ed, feel wise, I'm not sure to what I can compare them. The Fourteen blades maybe, but I've only got a few strikes with those under my belt, and that was a while ago.

I don't think these are the most forgiving clubs, btw, but not overly punishing either. It's really not worth the mention - forgiving clubs are boring anyway. 😜

Edited by kaaayelll

Do you find it takes some time/effort to get used to the labeling of each club in degrees rather than numbers? Does it add or take away anything for you to think in those terms?

No, no issue really. Of course, I only have three Hogans in my bag right now. Plus, I use head covers that are labeled with the closest approximation to the normal iron head number.

The more I think about it, I really like the option to buy specific lofts to get gapping right. I'm finding that I'm hitting the 27* a little longer than I would a 5i, but the 39* a little shorter on average than I would an 8i. It would be really fun to dial in the lofts for desired gaps. For me, it's especially attractive to think about eliminating an iron altogether by increasing gapping while keeping a 3i equivalent in the bag (I use 3i a lot at my course). In that case, I can see carrying an extra wedge.

Mikey, I can appreciate your comments about how exhausting it was to play/test with Stew. With so many different combos in my bag this week and hitting multiple shots per hole, I'm spent. Not to mention that playing with multiple shafts of such different character can wreak havoc on a swing. I need to take a couple days off of playing and then stick to a shaft set up. On that subject, I will say that I like the performance characteristics of the Tour V very much, but the weight and balance are off for me. I don't think I could handle it in X flex, though.

Edited by kaaayelll

Ok...demo set on their way!

You guys are lucky...wish I was base in the US and could get demo sets to try...

Their customer service was quite accommodating. You should give them a call and see what happens!