Welcome to Japanese Golf Clubs at Golf To Impress

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

chiromikey

Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 15 irons

53 posts in this topic

Tour V in 27, 39, 51....iirc

Their customer service was quite accommodating. You should give them a call and see what happens!

I have emailed them three times to ask what are the head weights and they have not replied, So that is not particularly accommodating.

I like the concept but if you look carefully they are really only 7 manufactured heads, bent up or down and stamped with a number. What I want to know is whether the 28-31 deg head is a 5 or 6 iron head weight. But it seems Ben Hogan golf does not want us to know.

It seems pretty logical to conclude they wouldn't actually have individual forging for every loft and that's what I've assumed from the beginning. Your concerns are valid so I'm on board with wanting to know that myself if I decide these are worth the effort.

If you international guys want to compile a list of questions, I'd be happy to call them and try to get some answers...

Edited by chiromikey

I have been following Terry Koehlers writings since two brands ago, Eidolon. He also had a blog called The Wedge Guy. If you emailed him, he would reply back personally. Since a few years ago, can't get to him anymore. If you get a reply, the staff don't disclose their name.

There is an article of his, maybe on the new site where he advocates for traditional lengths weights and lofts. So in other words higher loft, heavier head so shaft is shorter and compares that to Ben Hogans personal preference

Given that so far the company does not want to disclose headweights I suspect they are conforming to modern 'standard' of stronger lofts relative to headweight and shaft length.

I was guessing they don't bend them because they hold the bounce constant within each grouping of 4 irons. If the bent one std loft, the bounce would change or require additional working the seems more expensive than indiv forging. But what do I know about club mfg? Nada.

So those lucky fews that manage to get demos...any further reviews??

There's a delay in getting demos out so I haven't even received mine yet.

The 3 club demo set just arrived. Won't get them on the range until this weekend but if I based a decision on looks alone these would be my first USDM set in many years!

How's the offset looking like??

It just so happened that I also picked up my P2s today so here's some preliminary results off of my indoor hitting bay between the two.

The Hogans are short and stubby at address, like a slightly smaller version of my old Cobra S3 Pros but with even less offset. So offset is there but it's only just enough for one to say it's there and nothing more. Definitely the closest in size heel-to-toe to the baby blades that I've hit but a bit taller. They look the closest to perfect behind the ball that I've ever seen. The Epons have a great shape and even though I know they're no bigger than my Flatbacks, the chrome makes them look larger than they really are (maybe because I haven't played a chrome blade since my TM RAC MBs). Their feel is superior to all of them, just like the P1s. Hogans feel very good but they almost make me wish that scoop out of the muscle was put back in. They're missing that thump that I like when I flush an MB. However, this could be shaft related as I've never tried the KBS Tour-V before and never played a shaft as light as 110g. Even off the mat, the V-Sole grind on the Hogans is special. Probably the most versatile grind out there right now. I'm looking forward to some range time with them...

It just so happened that I also picked up my P2s today so here's some preliminary results off of my indoor hitting bay between the two.

The Hogans are short and stubby at address, like a slightly smaller version of my old Cobra S3 Pros but with even less offset. So offset is there but it's only just enough for one to say it's there and nothing more. Definitely the closest in size heel-to-toe to the baby blades that I've hit but a bit taller. They look the closest to perfect behind the ball that I've ever seen. The Epons have a great shape and even though I know they're no bigger than my Flatbacks, the chrome makes them look larger than they really are (maybe because I haven't played a chrome blade since my TM RAC MBs). Their feel is superior to all of them, just like the P1s. Hogans feel very good but they almost make me wish that scoop out of the muscle was put back in. They're missing that thump that I like when I flush an MB. However, this could be shaft related as I've never tried the KBS Tour-V before and never played a shaft as light as 110g. Even off the mat, the V-Sole grind on the Hogans is special. Probably the most versatile grind out there right now. I'm looking forward to some range time with them...

Interesting feedback. The V-sole is similiar to Srixon new sole... Looking forward to more feedback

Definitely the Hogans feel very good but they almost make me wish that scoop out of the muscle was put back in. They're missing that thump that I like when I flush an MB. However, this could be shaft related

So much I like about what you say, but especially this. Somehow, the feel free on me, though. Maybe it was the V-sole in action.

Yururi, Masda, P2...they all have that thump when pured. I've gotten a great feeling from the Hogans but not quite gotten that thump. I'm thinking it may be more shaft related than head. Man I wish I could give these a go with some shafts I know.

The offset on the Hogans is really winning me over, it's minimal at best. What's more interesting is that leading edge of the blade extends forward ever so slightly which (in my mind) almost negates the little offset that is present. It's like a combo of offset and onset at the same time. Maybe my eyes are deceiving me but that's what I'm seeing with the 8iron. K, can you either confirm this or tell me I'm crazy...or both! ;)

M, being a forum participant already qualifies you as crazy, so lets get that out of the way. 😉

I agree with your assessment of offset/onset. It's really quite inviting. And I, too, found myself almost desperate to try them with one of my shafts.

It's probably not fair that I've been hitting these against the Personals so I'm gonna blame the shaft here. The Hogans just don't give me that oomph at impact that I want from an MB. The V-Sole is nice as it allows you to take a nice divot but ejects the club head quickly from the turf. Ball flight is good, accuracy is there, it's simply missing feel. I'm just left unfulfilled and am not willing to make a decision on these until I can rule out the shaft...

Cavity back version will be at PGA show in January.

Edited by NiftyNiblick

Interesting feedback. The V-sole is similiar to Srixon new sole... Looking forward to more feedback

I think you mean the Srixon new sole is similar to this V-Sole :-)

Terry Koehler that makes this club has been selling the V-Sole wedges for around 15 years, before it was Scor Wedges, then Eidolon wedges, and before that Reid Lockhart which is still a separate company now.

M, being a forum participant already qualifies you as crazy, so lets get that out of the way.

I agree with your assessment of offset/onset. It's really quite inviting. And I, too, found myself almost desperate to try them with one of my shafts.

Those pics you posted showed a full face milling. Makes me wonder how they are going to look after a couple of thousand balls.

Shambles

Edited by Shambles

High price, Titleist-Golfer?

Have you checked out what's happening over here?

Anyone know where the Hogans are forged? They promote the clubs as having forgiveness but Rick Shiels' video specifically states for low cappers only.

Edited by Exhaloprez

Did any Hogan players have a problem getting accustomed to playing without numbered irons?

My Hogans are gapped in five degree increments so they don't match up directly to standard iron numbers anyway.

I didn't find it hard to adjust at all. I don't even convert lofts to numbers in my head anymore. I've just adopted a few hickory shaft era names for the irons. Works fine for me.

post-6439-0-96931800-1454942406_thumb.gi