Epon T-72

2draw

I have had the T-72 for long time, it has nice balance and nice role. But i have be wondering what is the story behind it? Was it only made as proto type? If so how many T-72 where made? What was the retail price? Does it have any value to day? It was suppose to have one of the highest MOI of any putter made? What was the MOI and is that true? If any one has any info please feel free to chip in.

post-13328-0-80573100-1431463554_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Found this link here at Tourspecgolf http://forum.tourspecgolf.com/topic/26017-epons-prototype-t72-neo-anser-putter-wpics/

So there was 100 pieces made with out sole stamping. Mine has the white hot insert and with no stamp so i guess its prototype for sure. According to the link the T-72 was made in three different types two inserts white hot insert, ceramic and no insert.

At mygolfspy.com the T-72 is nominated as one of the 23 craziest putter design and is listed as very rare putter. Not sure why its named craziest putter design? Its little bit out of the box design but not one of 23 craziest.

So i guess its interesting putter after all. Does any one at this forum have one or tried one? If so any thoughts?

PS. Wonder if Epon knew that T-72 was Soviet battle tank in the 70´s?

post-13328-0-55240000-1432325663_thumb.j

post-13328-0-27847700-1432325675_thumb.j

Send this in to the Master for golds makeover, was looking at doing that with one of these.

Nice putter, just needs the sticker in the back replaced as with the shin.

Good find.

That is a good idea Hutchy . Is there any website for "Master golds makeover" ?

The sticker is some how out of place for the putter. I would have have preferred it with the big Epon logo stamped at the back

like the i-33. But then again it was a prototype so i guess few minor detail might have been left out for the final product.

Is there any value in the T-72? Should i just continue playing it or just do the makeover and keep it as trophy putter?

Yes that is a valid point...do you spend the money and make it a one of a kind keeper or leave as is.

IMO I would go with the golds mod, it is a rare club anyway, why not make it better.

The sticker spoils the putter as it does the shin, so not just kept to protos only, I just think it was easy and more cost effective for epon which is unusual for them and they have done it twice now.

If you do decide to go down the golds path, I can tell you this, it will be one of the most satisfactory journeys you will ever have in golf gear purchasing and personalisation, it is a great journey and is done live here on TSG by Chris who will work with you to make it all a bit special.

The live updates are great, you get to see your design being built right before your eyes.

Check this link out, heaps of fellas here have had golds refurbishments and am sure they will also tell you it is worth the effort 110%

http://forum.tourspecgolf.com/topic/35465-craigs-recent-golds-refinishes/

Just do it bro, I havent seen one of those done yet, will be sick.... ;)

To be honest, there would only be some value to a die hard Epon fan boy and little to others. Golds would charge you plenty for the mods but it's really a big judgment call to see whether it is worth the investment.

Good point by Duffer19 and I am not sure if T-72 is the right putter for the golds makeover? I have few old Teardrop TD putters i would love to have done with adjustable weight screws and few other adjustment lie, loft etc. Most likely i will just keep it and play with it doesn't look like it has any value so there is no point of selling it.

Does any one know what kind material it is made out of?

I guess in all comes down to what we like, I am just a fan boy of all modifications, doesn't matter the brand or design.

If I see potential beauty in a makeover then I will be tempted.

My first golds job was on a $50 ping from the 90s, so no value in that but all the same it is IMO every bit and more special to me alone as my Zen or HM 100.

All keepers for me.

Some may say waste of money, I would say go with what you like.

This thread was however about your epon so was only a suggestion

Nice putter man, looks great.

........................................................................................................................................

Here is the final product! hutchy was kind enough to send it here first so I could take some Glamor Shots before sending to him :)

It came out stunning, it's balance is smooth the head feels nice and heavy and strokes back and thru effortlessly, I'm excited for when he gets to put with it for the first time.

XF5A5072-900x600.jpg

XF5A5034-Edit-900x600.jpg

XF5A5055-Edit-900x600.jpg

XF5A5122-Edit-900x600.jpg

XF5A5060-900x600.jpg

Edited by hutchy

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm the golds mod is a perosnal call.

DO NOT THINK BY GETTING IT GOLDS MOD u will get more money for it if u decide to sell it.

it wont these days!

get it modified IF u love the putter and imagine keeping it long term.

Great feedback on the thought process of getting a GF Mod.. Was toying with the idea of sending a couple of putters in to GF but judging from the price one will be charged, will have to think long and hard on which is the "one" to be sent in for modding..

Will hold out for the epiphany when I find the "right" putter to embark on the eventful journey..

Although the ping putter I used had no value in $$$ it was my favourite putter and made me some clinch puts in its time.

I could have gone with a new one or something bit more glamorous, but I chose this one as it had the most personal meaning to me.

And the old boy deserved it ;)

I think when you get to the stage of calling your putter as if it was a mate then that probably is the one.

Good point by Duffer19 and I am not sure if T-72 is the right putter for the golds makeover? I have few old Teardrop TD putters i would love to have done with adjustable weight screws and few other adjustment lie, loft etc. Most likely i will just keep it and play with it doesn't look like it has any value so there is no point of selling it.

Its most probably ceramic. I have a Maruman tap 18 with a hexology insert when they collaborated with Hitachi to create their steady parsec shaft. The insert is a dark black ceramic, polished to a mirror finish. My current gamer to work on my putting strokes. It is hot of the face when striked on the sweet spot which produces a spring like effect more so than the highly acclaimed Ryoma P/M 3s which I love due to the finish and milling.

Hutchy this putter is outstanding looking and what a craftsmanship. Do you use it or is it only trophy putter?

What did you pay for the make over?

But after this weekend play i am not sure if the T-72 is for keep or just sell it to finance the purchase of

Golds, Yamada, Bettinardi or even the the Epon i33. Wonder how much i can sell the T-72 for?

Hutchy i am not sure if should thank you or blame you for this sudden interest in high end putters LOL !

I think the T-72 is made out of aircraft aluminum and the wings are made of tungsten?

Not sure though? Does any body know?

Thanks man, yes it gets used in rotation with the zen. Tend to use when conditions are bit slower.

Wasn't cheap...you could probably buy a couple of I33s and have some change ;)

Sorry to hear its not the one, all you have mentioned would be great options.

Mate you can thank me when yours turns up in the post one day lol.

Not sure what it is made from but it is hot of the face, that's the reason I sold mine...Just couldn't feel the distance control.

That was before I knew about gold refurb's or I coulda been tempted to send it in to the master.

Think the BST still has I33 for sale somewhere.

Anyway just get in touch with Chris if you feel the need, I think he also offers a range of forged blanks so you can start from scratch.

Ther have been some superb looking putters done by a lot of the blokes here, I mean some pearler's.

Thanks for the info Hutchy.

Its very much niche market so i guess it will be up to the potential buyer to decide how much

it is worth to day. I guess in the range of $200 +/- on to days market?

But there are some great high-end putters out there waiting.

No worries bro.

Probably go around $250 I recon, still epon even though older.

If you are going down the golds path it may be better to open it up for trade and see what gets offered.

It doesn't matter the condition that much for a potential trade if it is going to be modified, you might get a classic that just needs some TLC.

• 4 months later...

Still have it ! The T-72 was in the bag the whole summer and did great job. But for some reason there is no interest in the T-72? But then again EPON are not famous for putters and maybe the T-72 is just to different? Anyway still for sale if buddy is still looking for something different and rare this could be it?

Wondering where are the rest of the 99 T-72 prototypes are? Are there anyone else on the forum that have one?