Refinished Clubs.... Show & Tell.

Hutch

Thought I would start this thread so I can get to see some of the custom creations you fellas have had done.

I would love to see the product and hear the opinions of all custom work in one section, more as a point of reference for me and am sure for some others.

Or even any custom builds that people are particularly proud of.

Please show and tell.

Cheers

Edited by TourSpecGolfer

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately not TSG Works finish but fellow member helped me copper plate a set of MP62 irons

and these Titleist Vokey 10th Anniv. edition wedges.

They are polished copper finish but I did the sulfur treatment myself.

I initially used palmolive to darken the color but did not turn out so good, so I removed the previous patina with Mothers metal polish and then got real sulfur gel this time to do it right. MP62 irons also look the same now.

The photos really do not do justice as it has more of a rainbow hue all over than just brown.

post-14163-0-86308000-1431898827_thumb.j

post-14163-0-59360800-1431898831_thumb.j

Cool nob-san

They look great, can see the rainbow effect.

How do they feel with the copper plate?

Can we eyeball the irons ;)

As with any copper plated clubs, they feel very soft off the face.

They also seem more spinnier than normal chrome plating.

I do believe the copper do wear off pretty quickly so I don't use them regularly.

The MP62's are currently shafted to 1150GH shafts but I will be re-shafting with TT Monacos soon.

Trying to locate some of those carbon fiber pattern ferrules to match the head color and shaft.

Sorry about the pics. Low light weather today and I don't have a great camera.

In brighter sunlight it looks better.

post-14163-0-49707600-1431912103_thumb.j

post-14163-0-08131400-1431912108_thumb.j

post-14163-0-77278100-1431912111_thumb.j

nob-San, love these chocolate coppers, and the wedges match perfectly! did the copper both start this dark or is this after your patina-enhancing measures?

Thinking about doing the S yard bold wedges in copper...

By the was Nob San....very nice

Edited by Jeffrey Tan

The mizzys look off the charts good!!

nob-San, love these chocolate coppers, and the wedges match perfectly! did the copper both start this dark or is this after your patina-enhancing measures?

They were shiney raw copper color initially. I waited for a few months exposing them in outside weather but it just takes long for it to patina so I started looking for alternate methods. Felt like I was back in High School doing a chemistry expriment! Turned out more like an art project. Temperature of the sulfur solution and how much you apply to the club head determines the color.

hotter solution you end up with very dark almost matt black but uniform finish. The great thing is that I can polish it back to the original color using metal polish to redo as many times as I want. Only need to be careful you don't inhale too much sulfuric acid gas during the process and the rotten egg smell is horrible! :)

Where should we talk about the TSG finishes? I want to walk through getting a set of 302's done, I'm searching for some worn heads now. Thinking copper is a must, there were a couple different layer options right? What would you recommend for a set that's going to see 125 rounds a year in Midwest US conditions which are not hard on clubs for the most part.

Where should we talk about the TSG finishes? I want to walk through getting a set of 302's done, I'm searching for some worn heads now. Thinking copper is a must, there were a couple different layer options right? What would you recommend for a set that's going to see 125 rounds a year in Midwest US conditions which are not hard on clubs for the most part.

U play 125 rounds a year?! Wowowow that's a lot of golf.

holy schnikeys, you were serious!! mind if I ask how that plays out..like 2-3 rounds per day?? how is that even possible, my shoulder and back would be dismantled... are you part robot? lol

Edited by needmoregolf

I probably play 5 days a week most weeks. 125 was on the low side haha. My club has two courses, we generally head to the emptier of the two and get around in 3 hours and head back to work. Gotten me in the + range for the first time ever. Back to the question at hand, I love my 302's and want to trick out a beater set. What would you recommend Chris or anyone that's done a TSG refinish? I just don't want to wear through them in a year. I wouldn't be beating balls with them at all, just normal play.

Edited by Swizbeatz

Sounds like a great life, cheers to you!

With frequent use, my hunch is the black boron would be best suited for durability but I've been curious about the Teflon satin or black as well as the mirror black. I'm sure the more traditional tour satin or mirrored chrome would hold up well as well. The 302's would look great in any of those finishes.

Please post pics if you end up getting something done :)

Edited by needmoregolf

Second that, lucky bugger!

Traditional finishes are the most durable for sure, copper plating should also be ok.

Black baron with gold & black fill, an a set of the new TT black with gold label, black and gold wovens....sweet

With that much play, I wouldn't expect copper to last very long at all. I "only" get in about 100 rounds per year and our sandy soil wreaks havoc on nice finishes in no time.