Interesting Session with two 7D shafts today

Today I had a scratch golfer with a 115-120mph swing speed hit two 57g 4.0tq SR flex 7D Distance shafts in the ZY-11 and Blackout 435 along with the same heads with the AAA Stiff Shaft vs his driver and a whole bunch of Callaway & TM newest clubs on the launch monitor.

Notes:

- Pro could hook or slice, any of the drivers except the 7D's which went dead straight or turned ever so slightly but barely. This was insane because they are so light and soft in specs he should have been able to snap them in any direction but couldnt.

- Pro's trajectory was lowest with the 7D

- Distance was 310 - 336 yds

- Pro could hook and slice all other shafts especially USDM upgrade shafts that are 70 gram tour X flex

These 7D shafts were not designed for him, they were designed for me! And I swing about 98mph now days with a totally different swing.

It was pretty shocking and it's not supposed to be this way, how could a 120mph bomber not hook such a light and soft 7D shaft??? This aligns with what everyone says that 7D shafts are special they launch lower than most, they get equal to better to MUCH better distance, they go extremely straight as well and feel excellent! But now I'm starting to get that another persons shaft can work for others.. gonna need to test this theory more.

Another thing to note is ZY-11 is truly the straightest driver any of the pro instructors have ever hit. Especially with the 7D. The same swing that they would duck hook their own drivers with they could barely barely move the 7D that way.

If we did the same experiment with another sub 60g shaft with high torque in S/R flex guarantee it would have been too high, too soft, and hooked like crazy or had a wide dispersion for them, these guys could swing for the fences with the 7D and it just went straight!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well this makes perfect sense to me, Craigs shaft was designed for him and his and my swings are totally differnt in every way. but i hit his custom built syard 388 / 7d as good as any driver ive ever hit.

dont ask me how , but none our other drivers suit the other person 1 iota ,

t his one tho ,is special

Interesting stuff! My 435 is on it's way to 7D and after hearing that they couldn't hook your shafts, I'm really excited!

I am excited to get my Distance shaft. I love my Standard 7D (unless I put a crap swing on it) but haven't gotten to know my Control one that well and it hasn't gotten close to kicking my Standard out (which has good distance, good dispersion and really only gets out of whack if I try to do something funky or put a funky swing to it). I personally definitely felt a large difference between the Standard and Control (which is one purpose...)

These 7D shafts are something special though. I hit the AAA for the first time today, not too shabby either, that thing was super straight with a lower trajectory as well...

Wow, considering that sounds a whole lot like what's coming for my Blackout, you def have my interest!

Yes that would be great comparison.

Funnily enough your set up in the 7D Chris is pretty much what I look for in a shaft these days.

Light weight, higher torque, SR-S flex.

Look forward to your full review after a couple rounds.

The AAA shaft I have is bit heavy but it still seems to work for me, other shafts of this weight in stiff don't.

The AAA I have is new but last years and is better than any shaft I have used.

Edited by hutchy

the zy head has my attention i think.

if it performs better than the 435 its a winner.

i like that look of that head shape.

with a 7d distance shaft it cud be close to "the one"

Has anyone compared the AAA to the Diamana X?

I'm still listening...

I hit the range with my ZY-11 9* / Waccine GR-77 today. Trajectory is low and spin was almost too low. Getting these drop ball like trajectory unless I teed up really high. The ball went straight no matter what I did .

With a great shaft like AAA '15 or 7D you can be sure you can build an automatic driver to hit pretty much every fairway!!

I've hit both MB's 7D shafts (control and standard), and just couldn't really get these to launch the way I like. Lots of side spin and typically a further left to right flight than I was hoping for, and ultimately too much spin as they're shorter than what I'm used to. I'm sure with time I could dial them in, but overall feel like the spin would be an issue for me. He hits them great, as he should since they are for him, but I'm sure these pro's can hit anything well because their swing mechanics are all so fundamentally sound. For me, not the best...

On the other hand, tried his 2015 AAA | Black 435 combo and out of the box, I was having awesome results. Long straight bombs that had tons of run too. I never thought in a million years I would get along w/ a 50g shaft as I typically like 70g shafts and the 60g shafts I've tried before (all Quadra's) didn't produce the best results, but this AAA looks like the real deal for my swing -- I simply could not believe it. Outstanding shaft!

Edited by needmoregolf

Watching D hit the 435/AAA, I immediately knew it was definitely a setup more for him versus me. I am a natural medium/medium-lower hitter (except the 2 times in 20 rounds I have some pop-ups - like today :) and I like more active tip shafts that allow me to work it but also a kick-point that gets me a little more loft. The AAA is a stable and great feeling shaft, probably one of the best I have ever hit - think of a lighter, better feeling Motore Speeder Tour Spec - same dispersion and ball flight but lighter and more stable. The AAA is an absolutely outstanding shaft if you are looking for stable, lower launch and great feeling shaft. I just need something a little more active which my 7D build brings me (though I can get in trouble too if I ask for it).

Either way, agree with this thread, 7D (and AAA) are some pretty special shafts...

After reading this post, I shuffled my shafts again.

My AAA went into the ZY-11... Hopefully I can get it to launch higher than with the Waccine.

Please let me know how you like that combo and what your swing characteristics are. Thanks!

After reading this post, I shuffled my shafts again.

My AAA went into the ZY-11... Hopefully I can get it to launch higher than with the Waccine.

Both waccine and AAA launch on the lower side, I would say something like the TRPX Air would be a beast in the ZY-11 head

It was too windy today to tell how the ball was actually flying.

Will provide an update hopefully after the weekend.

well unfortunately this combo will not work for me.

spin is too low. I am getting drop balls.

Gonna try the AAA in th Epon 153.

Only thing I can say about this head is that it goes straight with minimal side spin.

I would probably do better with a higher loft.

Only thing I can say about this head is that it goes straight with minimal side spin.

Go with shaft first, higher loft will increase spin which may not be such a bad thing in this particular head but imo TRPX Air is absolutely berserk in the ZY-11 head.

Hi nob. Can you compare the ZY-11 with a 535? Edited by Ian-500

Hi nob. Can you compare the ZY-11 with a 535?

Go with shaft first, higher loft will increase spin which may not be such a bad thing in this particular head but imo TRPX Air is absolutely berserk in the ZY-11 head.

Sorry my friend. Unfortunately, have not tried the 535. Have not had luck in the past with any JBeam heads. not sure why.

Not a hi spin hitter to start with so perhaps just not a good match. As for Crazy and TRPX .... could not find peace with them either.

I feel much at home when using Endo heads with higher kick point shafts. Going back to familiar territory for now.

Chris,

this weekend my buddy came into town and we hit the course together with the goal of testing out my 7D. As previously mentioned in another thread I have gained a little bit of distance, around 7 yards for a total carry of about 260.

So during our round I let him play my T388 with 7D on every driver hole. Just a little background on him, he swings about 115mph and has an overall aggressive transition. He is a solid golfer and plays maybe once a month (2 young kids). Over the course of the day and multiple driver swings he absolutely loved the shaft. what he loved about it was it went dead straight and incredibly long. the most eggregious of shots that he made was on a 560 dog leg left par 5 that was a tad downwind. to the bed it is about 300 yards and his drive ended up deep in the woods well past the 300 yard elbow. It was an absolutely insane shot and the rest of our group could not beleive it.

There were also a couple other holes that resulted in amazing drives. with a 10 mph headwind he hit it 290 into the wind all carry on a slightly uphill par 4.

So in general yes these shafts are meant for the owner but I guess they can work for other people? I find this interesting because my swing versus his swing is completely different.