Interesting Session with two 7D shafts today

I think 7D is definitely special if you travel there any go through their fitting process. Their shafts are also something very rare & unique (through the custom fitting or matrix) considering the material and process used. At the end of the day though, with the matrix, they are fitting you (based on the questionnaire) into their set of pre-designed shafts (some with probably a tighter profile/tip stiffness for control, more balanced with mid-stiffness for standard, more active tip for distance, etc x many shaft weights, etc). At least that is my read of it, so I wouldn't be shocked that some of these shafts would be great for others as well...?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not as though a custom shaft has a switch that only turns on for the original buyer. It's more that it's going to maximize what the original buyer can do with it. I'm sure a pro or someone with a swing speed like your friend could enjoy (and crush) drives with all sorts of shafts. What would be interesting would be to see how much difference there would be between him hitting your shaft and one that was custom designed for him.

I've yet to see anyone who hit my 7D not say they love it, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't love one designed for them even more.

Haute Couture & Matrix are the same shafts it's just one is done by fitting the other by questions.

Once you have a Haute Fitting Done you can just order Matrix shafts based on that fitting.

Was just having a wonder that if someone goes through the entire fitting with 7D and ends up with a fantastic shaft built specifically from the analysis, and maybe a year (or two) later, the person implements some swing changes for improvement (thru coaching), wouldn't he again need to go for another fitting session with 7D for a new shaft?

Not that it's anything bad to have an excuse to travel to Tokyo again.. :tsg_smiley_pimp:

Was just having a wonder that if someone goes through the entire fitting with 7D and ends up with a fantastic shaft built specifically from the analysis, and maybe a year (or two) later, the person implements some swing changes for improvement (thru coaching), wouldn't he again need to go for another fitting session with 7D for a new shaft?

Not that it's anything bad to have an excuse to travel to Tokyo again.. :tsg_smiley_pimp:

We went through this in another thread and iirc the consensus from 7D was that most people's swing changes won't be drastic enough to worry about.

We went through this in another thread and iirc the consensus from 7D was that most people's swing changes won't be drastic enough to worry about.

Apologies to bring this up again.. Just came across my mind..

12 months to save up for a 7Days Tokyo Holiday in 2016!!

No apology necessary and I hope I didn't come off the wrong way. I just meant that this was my concern also when these first gained interest.

Edited by chiromikey

Not yet. They should have received or will receive my 435 any time so hopefully it gets on it's way to me really soon.

Not yet. They should have received or will receive my 435 any time so hopefully it gets on it's way to me really soon.

haha yes I just got an email from them today to confirm this was indeed your head:

post-18-0-08927500-1432686036_thumb.jpg

chiro, thought u had a 435 black to go with the 7D??

No black, just the original...although that's the only other head that I'd really like to try!

has anyone invested or played sde by side, same heads, the control shaft vs distance ? thks

I have a standard shaft in a Modart D and a control in a Modart S. I have a distance coming with a DS head. I am also reshafting the control with a DS head so I will be able to give you that exact comparison (I didn't get along with the S head and always have been a fan of deeper faced drivers). The control is definitely tighter in profile and tip compared to the standard and will be with the distance...

I have a standard shaft in a Modart D and a control in a Modart S. I have a distance coming with a DS head. I am also reshafting the control with a DS head so I will be able to give you that exact comparison (I didn't get along with the S head and always have been a fan of deeper faced drivers). The control is definitely tighter in profile and tip compared to the standard and will be with the distance...

Thks. Looks more & more like the best head for 7D is the ZY11

If I ever get a chance to go Tokyo, I'll definitely want to get fitted for a 7D shaft paired with ZY-11 head.

I'm sold!

Thks. Looks more & more like the best head for 7D is the ZY11

If I ever get a chance to go Tokyo, I'll definitely want to get fitted for a 7D shaft paired with ZY-11 head.

I'm sold!

ZY11 is definitely a unique head that is straight and long, and I was not patient enough to try more shafts to make it work ror me.

but I really don't think this head is for just anyone.

I am hoping that thru their fitting process, 7D could also recommend the best type of head that matches your swing?

I was assuming that they design your shaft so it would optimze results to match the head you specify...

but what if you want to use that same shaft in a different head with totally different mechanical properties in the future?

for example, if you had them design a shaft for your swing to be used with a 192g very shallow 460cc head like the Egg One ,

and along the way you decided you want to use that shaft in an Epon Zero weighing 202g with a deep face at 415cc....

Could that same shaft design still be valid at the same level of optimization from a ball flight perspective?

the added 10g alone would at least change the cpm of the club and therefore would impact shaft load characeteristics wouldn't it?

Thinking out loud at this point but I am really excited about getting fit and discovering more about my swing!

ZY11 is definitely a unique head that is straight and long, and I was not patient enough to try more shafts to make it work ror me.

but I really don't think this head is for just anyone.

I am hoping that thru their fitting process, 7D could also recommend the best type of head that matches your swing?

I was assuming that they design your shaft so it would optimze results to match the head you specify...

but what if you want to use that same shaft in a different head with totally different mechanical properties in the future?

for example, if you had them design a shaft for your swing to be used with a 192g very shallow 460cc head like the Egg One ,

and along the way you decided you want to use that shaft in an Epon Zero weighing 202g with a deep face at 415cc....

Could that same shaft design still be valid at the same level of optimization from a ball flight perspective?

the added 10g alone would at least change the cpm of the club and therefore would impact shaft load characeteristics wouldn't it?

Thinking out loud at this point but I am really excited about getting fit and discovering more about my swing!

7D doesn't recommend a head at all, they are a shaft company and it's hard enough for them to get past all the customers theories about heads, fitting, and performance so they use a firm technical process with the final step being a master fitters/engineers opinion combined with that data. They need to know the head in order to design the shaft first.

They don't suggest pulling a shaft from one head and putting into another, they say performance will not be as good.

For those who own a 7D shaft in their owners book it has all the measurements, depths, cg locations of the head you have, they don't depend on the OEM to get these measurements they re-measure them to their own standard. I will post a pic from my booklet soon.

The Matrix vs Haute question is: does being fit in person equal a better performing 7D shaft? I can't say that it does yet, so far our only negative feedback has come from a Haute fitting and the customers complaint was I only gained 10yds but it's much straighter now and I wanted 20yds...lol

Also what I'm finding is 7D shafts for players like myself who impart tons of spin on the ball and lose the most strokes using drivers & 3 woods can drop that handicap and the few customers who have purchased a 7D for their 3 woods are reporting similar results as the driver, very straight with great feel and fewer shots dropped in hazards. Now I just need to select a head because I could really use "very straight" on my 3 woods.

- RomaRo Alpha

- Jbeam Glorious

- A-Grind 14*

Thanks for this info, Chis!

> 7D doesn't recommend a head at all

Well I'd better get moving in deciding my head !! :)

> They don't suggest pulling a shaft from one head and putting into another, they say performance will not be as good.

Aha! As I suspected. This is good to know and will be convincing reason for me to stop tinkering with different shafts at least for the head I decide to use.

Just out of curiosity, 7D fits you by choosing shaft from one out of the 50 shaft model already available. So that makes 7D doesn't build shaft specifically for you but fitted you with the already available shaft from one of the 50 model!!?? That would make fitting at 7D similar to getting fit in any other golf studios where there are as many as 50 or even more shafts to choose from!!?? They don't stock shaft so they have to build it (thus the long order time) From what I see how "other can play my 7D shaft very well" I think it's because a better player could easily play 7D from a fellow whose fitted with a slower/smoother swing speed/tempo, and able to use with ease. Try using a 7D shaft that's fitted for a better player and let the slower/tempo swing player use it. It will be another story.

Edited by jimmieboi

Just out of curiosity, 7D fits you by choosing shaft from one out of the 50 shaft model already available. So that makes 7D doesn't build shaft specifically for you but fitted you with the already available shaft from one of the 50 model!!?? That would make fitting at 7D similar to getting fit in any other golf studios where there are as many as 50 or even more shafts to choose from!!?? They don't stock shaft so they have to build it (thus the long order time) From what I see how "other can play my 7D shaft very well" I think it's because a better player could easily play 7D from a fellow whose fitted with a slower/smoother swing speed/tempo, and able to use with ease. Try using a 7D shaft that's fitted for a better player and let the slower/tempo swing player use it. It will be another story.

They make adjustments to the designs based on your fitting + head choice so no it's not like going anywhere else. the shaft is made for you per order 1 by 1.

The 50 has become closer to 60 designs recently but those designs are adjusted its that there is basically now 50-60 base designs they choose from. It's really hard to explain this on a technical level as you can't just design a new shaft from scratch without investing tens of thousands of dollars into R&D for 1 shaft but bottom line is they take one of the design profiles that fit you and make adjustments around that and these are not light adjustments they relate to everything and require software to adjust the numbers within boundries of performance.

Keep in mind 7D is owned by Super Resin, no one can do what they do not Mitsubishi not NASA not Tesla, no one! these are the guys that produce the highest grade carbon and CFRP's for many of the worlds most advanced satellites in space and many of the F1 cars and produce revolutionary medical tech

I watch tons of shaft brands simply contact a factory ask for material options, angle the weaves differently use differnt layers and combos to produce a shaft then charge top dollar. imo not the way to go.

On the high end you want a company that actually has a factory and handrolls their own shafts i.e Crazy or TRPX or Quadra..

At the pinnicle there is only 7D who does it all in house to the highest standard.

for more info: http://www.sevendreamers.com/about.html

+1, Chris.

And anyone wondering what some of the process looks like and how it differs from others should definitely check out the video on the site of the shaft's production.

Interesting, so, I bet if us posted our various 7D specs, we might see some overlap in some specs but maybe EI profiles are slightly tweaked to what we are looking for, etc? I.e. a 7D Distance Shaft in the 60g weight spec in Stiff flex might vary slightly (on purpose) from one person to another, etc?