Interesting Session with two 7D shafts today

Interesting, so, I bet if us posted our various 7D specs, we might see some overlap in some specs but maybe EI profiles are slightly tweaked to what we are looking for, etc? I.e. a 7D Distance Shaft in the 60g weight spec in Stiff flex might vary slightly (on purpose) from one person to another, etc?

I don't think we have sold enough to find an overlap. I've looked at every design for our customers and none look the same so far.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting. My mental model was that they used premium materials and process to fit a pre-designed shaft into the head of your choice based on either an in-person fitting or the matrix of questions. Given that they modify their base designs and shaft profiles more than that specifically to your need is even more impressive...

I worked in the space industry designing communication satellite equipment for 10 years in Japan and know exactly the level of rigorous tolerances they incorporate in their manufacturing and testing process. These equipment need to perform to specs for at least 10 years in space with zero maintenance in a highly variable and harsh environment. On the flip side, all the manufacturing steps are manual work.

No automation whatsoever. That gets to be very expensive very quickly especially for stuff hand made in Japan!!

The vacuum chamber they use to cure the shaft alone is convincing enough for me to know they use absolute state of the art process that would be too costly for other shaft manufacturers to follow or to invest in. What they are utilizing here is a no gimmick actual space industry technology.

I guess that customer who wants 20 more yards is a good looking guy, and he plans to go do Haute Couture fitting in Tokyo again this year

What's so funny Chris? :-)

When are you going? I plan to be there sometime between June 22 to July 3 Have not made my appointment yet.

If anyone wants to come with me. I am happy to help with translating :)

Hi Nob, most likely 22-24Aug. Can you move your schedule?

Hi Mike, I'll stop by at Tokyo just to do this after meeting in Vegas. Wanna go together? I'll change plane at SFO

Mark

Quit talking about this...you guys are making me want to go back again! :)

Chris, if I want a 3w shaft, do I need another fitting or can they extrapolate from my driver fitting?

Hi Nob, most likely 22-24Aug. Can you move your schedule?

Hi Mike, I'll stop by at Tokyo just to do this after meeting in Vegas. Wanna go together? I'll change plane at SFO

Mark

Unfortunately not.

On a side note, the dollar to yen rate is so favorable to the dollar currently, this might become a major shopping trip!

this is quickly becoming the jealousy thread... haute couture fitting, space age technology, jet setting, Japanese food, Japanese night life, hanging with stew, playing some sweet tracks, shopping sprees...throw in some sharks with frikkin lasers on tops of their frikkin heads and I won't even know what to do with myself!!

feeling grossly inadequate here lol

Edited by needmoregolf

If I were to go 7D, the toughest decision is choosing the head. How could I know which head fits me in the first place!!?? I see that they just open a new branch in Umeda Osaka, I'll go there and have a visit on my vacation in July.

Yeah Jimmieboi

I found that to be the hardest decision as well

It is tough as the shaft is designed with that head so if you get it wrong......

My advice is pick something you like to start with

Then I'll give it a go with the Glorious. This head performs great in any shaft I've demo, Aldila NV, Rougue, Diamana S and Kurokage. It should be best in 7D.

I know it's not part of the deal but I too was hoping for a recommendation at least for head categories Larger vs Smaller, Lighter vs Heavier, Shallow vs Deep, Back CG or Forward CG you know , just general characteristics that might better suit my swing.

If they can't, I am likely to go with a head that I know I like.

Currently on my list:

Docus DCD701 - Because of the Rating gate review and information ( perhaps not legit but want to find out more about it )

NUD Ghibli - Looks really cool, Shallow head, likely to be similar feel to Baldo VT511 very very soft feel

EPON AF103 - Used to have one. Love the look and feel down side is that it may not perform as well from a distance perspective.

EPON Zero X - Newest Epon and great looking head.

PRGR Egg 1 - Used to have one. Head is a bit light Can expect huge distance but ... not the prettiest head.

il be tokyo sometime in july. still debating if i should go for it! interesting.

might pair mine with an old trusty 153 or even a zero x as well

So, I was able to pull my Control shaft from the Modart S head and put it in a DS and took it to the range today. I have to say, the DS is much more my ballgame (deeper face like the D, a tad better feel at that matte finish is fantastic)! The shaft performed better as well (the S just seemed really more fade biased than I would like and the DS a little more square to draw which was fantastic for me). So far, so good, so you can potentially pull these shafts and they are not necessarily one-trick ponies (better for the investment and head worry as well). Though, like everything, it could be hit or miss...

So, I was able to pull my Control shaft from the Modart S head and put it in a DS and took it to the range today. I have to say, the DS is much more my ballgame (deeper face like the D, a tad better feel at that matte finish is fantastic)! The shaft performed better as well (the S just seemed really more fade biased than I would like and the DS a little more square to draw which was fantastic for me). So far, so good, so you can potentially pull these shafts and they are not necessarily one-trick ponies (better for the investment and head worry as well). Though, like everything, it could be hit or miss...

id be so scared to pull one of those shafts!

Never thought I would think this ... but I might be tempted to choose a Ping G30LS as a candidate to pair with a 7D distance shaft.

Nobs do not be afriad to consider the egg

. its a really good head.

its fantastically accurate and its gets way out there

if i were doing it now its wud be virtualy impossible fo rme not to do an egg, nad prob the egg 1.

Edited by supo67

Gotta agree with Stew. If the 435 wasn't my fav, I'd have a tough time not choosing either Egg...maybe even over the Ryoma V-Spec.

that was my fist thought as well.

ryoma 7d

but for a distance shaft u may as well go an all out distance head which the egg is exaclty custom built for !

my thoughts were

ryoma d1 vspec

syard 388

kasco dna 340

epon 101 (which wud be INSANE!!!)

425 tour

egg 7

my discussins with builder were i d get a quasy distance / control meld

have it a little bit livelier in the tip than i usually go to get some long bombs going but use a head with a bit more control.

like the eg of 435 or ryoma.

if it were for out and out bomb well the syard ive used is out of this worldl. or the egg head which doesnt go left.

such fun designing drivers....!

Just out of interest, has anyone had big enough kahoona's to try a Maxima with SD